Failed driving test :(

Soldato
^^ this.

I love how most new drivers assume that passing the test = being able to drive.

You learn far more in your first 6 months alone on the road than you do in the lessons before passing your test.

Very true, I remember having a discussion with my dad:

Me: I've passed my driving test
Dad: Well done, now you'll learn how to drive.

[TW]Fox;16112367 said:
You didnt fail your test because the examiner was a ****. You didnt fail the test because the examiner fell out with the instructor. You didnt fail the test because there is a quota.

This is also completly rubbish and utterly false.

To think that every instructor in the country is exactly the same, a copy pasted human being with slightly differentiating opinions on what was right or not in a given situation is wrong.
If you assume all instructors know what they are doing you are sorely wrong, I have personally experienced their flaws and you need to remember they are only human too, not super accurate robot clones.

OT: I passed my test first time with no faults at all, driving then to now doesn't seem much different, just the handling of the vehicle and learning it's nuances. Never had a bump or crash, doesn't mean I never will but I caught on very quickly and understood the concepts of the mechanics of the car before ever sitting in the drivers seat.
So I knew what to expect when doing certain tasks, unlike most people and a lot of people in my mechanics course, don't understand simple concepts.
As for the rules of the road, I spent a lot of time as a passenger in a friends car, observing, asking questions.

Just because some of as are new doesn't automatically mean we are all classed as crap drivers, some continue to be bad for the rest of their lives because they simply don't have the brain capacity to observe or have the spatial awareness to begin with. Some of do right from the get go, this is why people are better at some things than others, it's life, it happens.

So, suck it up and realise it isn't such a straight forward world and not every instructor is going to get identical results. It's entirely possible he could have passed with another.

Edit: I absolutely abhor the idea I'm put in a class of drivers who drive like they do.
But that's life.

Last edited:
Associate
when my grandad was teaching my mum, he told her "I'm not going to teach you to drive, I'm going to teach you how to pass your test"

That's the same thing I got told from my instructor when doing my bike test last year. The skills required to pass your test do not always apply very practically on the road.

But anyway, don't get so wound up about it Ridler. While I passed my driving test first time when I was 17, I failed my module 2 bike test last year. Was pretty annoyed at myself, but not much you can do about it other than rebook and make sure you get everything right next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey you people need to realize I was not cocky what so ever, I drove extremely safely and was polite even after I failed. My temper doesn't control my actions, of course I wasn't actually going to hit him but that's what I wanted to do!

I can honestly say I felt I deserved to pass, he told me another driver had to slow down and I didn't use my mirrors properly changing lane (all in one situation not separate) This I feel was total bs, it's that simple.

** Honestly if I felt I'd made a mistake I'd have regretted it and looked forward, everyone seems to remember the error's they've made, I don't. **

You felt you deserved to pass, the expert felt you didn't... So take the expert's advice, which he has written down for you, and will have explained in detail to you if you asked him - and learn from it. Simple.

When did you become an expert on driving standards that deems you able to decide if your driving was good enough?

Associate
I passed my test first time (motorcycle), and shortly after that my car test. That's not the whole story though, when I was 17 I took my first driving test and (even by what I know today) drove safely and smoothly. I was failed and it was probably the best driving test I've ever taken including the one where I passed - I can certainly sympathise with those who feel they've been unfairly kicked in the teeth.

Soldato
Hey you people need to realize I was not cocky what so ever, I drove extremely safely and was polite even after I failed. My temper doesn't control my actions, of course I wasn't actually going to hit him but that's what I wanted to do!

I can honestly say I felt I deserved to pass, he told me another driver had to slow down and I didn't use my mirrors properly changing lane (all in one situation not separate) This I feel was total bs, it's that simple.

** Honestly if I felt I'd made a mistake I'd have regretted it and looked forward, everyone seems to remember the error's they've made, I don't. **

everyone makes mistakes, just learn from it, you might think that you were great but to the instructor there are things that can cause him aware, especially with mirrors and changing lanes.

Soldato
There is an examiner at my local test centre who always ensures that the air-con/fans are turned off in the car so that he can catch you out for having steamed up windows. Moer of a handle now as everybody comes in prewarned but I expect people put him down as a right btard when he first started failing them (correctly) for it

So the examiner gets in your instructors car, and said exam taker wouldn't notice him turning the dials? Sorry but WHAT? They certainly don't get to the car before you do down here.

Soldato
You can complain but you can't argue a fail into a pass, examiners word > yours, they explain the faults you made at the end anyway.

Just give it another go, not passing first time is no big deal.

Associate
I failed because instructor told me to turn right, there was the box marking on the roads to indicate where to wait to turn right with hatchings preceding it. I positioned myself to the right making sure not to drive over the hatchings and put my self in the box. There was another car driving behind and another car parked on the side of the junction. Anyway long story short the driver behind me couldn't get passed as his side of the road was blocked by the idiot who had parked there and I was told I should have slowed down driven onto the hatchings allowing the driver behind me to get past....personally I think thats stupid.

Next test I was well ****ed off and made a load of mistakes and had a really jerky drive did some very silly things such as driving 40 in a 30, didn't give way to a smart car etc etc and passed with 7 minors.

Soldato
When I took my driving test (some 15 years back) I felt sure that I'd failed right at the start - When pulling off from the side of the road I forgot to look over my shoulder to check for traffic in the blind spot. I'd only just stared the car rolling, so I stopped, applied the handbrake and started the whole pulling out procedure again from scratch. From the corner of my eye I was sure I could see the examiners pen hovering over the major fault tickbox. I about fell over when he told me I'd passed.
Had I had to do a reverse parking manoeuvre as well, I'm sure I would have failed :D

Don't take not passing, because the examiner felt you didn't display 'correct' use of mirrors, too hard. You'll remember it next time and most likely every time you drive after you pass. Examiners don't expect you to be a perfect driver, but they do want you to show awareness of yourself and others and to make the right judgements when things are busy out on the roads.
Passing your test really only qualifies you to begin the real business of learning to drive so that it becomes second nature.

It's really very easy to cause an accident by not being aware, at all times, of the movements of other road users, especially if they are on two wheels instead of four. Better to take this one down to experience; it'll serve you better in the long run. ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16112367 said:
You fail for one reason and one reason alone: Because your driving on the day was not at the required standard. No ifs, no buts.

I'd rather trust my instructor with over 30 years of experience than a random 25 year old from the internet.

He clearly told me that aside from the driving, there's a clear degree of politics between instructors and examiners. It makes far more sense too.
He also told me some examiners were clearly sometimes being ****'s but if he commented about it he'd be sure that his next 5 students would fail at that examiner the next few times. And he said there were 2 examiners he was on good terms with and my chances of passing there would be higher than average. When I did my exam I had a new examiner he had never seen before but they spend most of my exam talking and discovering they went to the same education etc and it was clearly visible my instructor was trying to get on the right foot with him.

To say there are never politics involved is ignorant and stupid fox, you should know better that in most places things are not fair and often a matter of politics, it's like that at work, at school, at uni, everywhere. If you're on good terms with the people ''above'' you, you'll get an easier time.

I agree there aren't any quota's and it's something made up by students who fail their test, but to say it's always your driving standards is stupid, there are often exceptions where the instructor indeed is being a mung, either due to his relation to your instructor, or for some reason not liking you personally...

Last edited:
Caporegime

unfortunately its that attitude the instructor has picked up on.

Call it what you want, but your constant insistence that its not you, its him, doesnt endear you to anybody.

Loose the attitude and you might pass.

Soldato
Lol, people still believe that crap?

It's an urban legend, made up by people who were miffed that they sucked when on the test.

You mean the age for learning to drive isnt going up to 25!!!!!

Someones been pulling my leg all this time when I could have been driving for years!!!!!!:eek::(

Man of Honour
I'd rather trust my instructor with over 30 years of experience than a random 25 year old from the internet.

Oh great, the guy who constantly posts opinions on UK motoring despite never having been here is back. This will be fun!

I agree there aren't any quota's and it's something made up by students who fail their test, but to say it's always your driving standards is stupid, there are often exceptions where the instructor indeed is being a mung, either due to his relation to your instructor, or for some reason not liking you personally...

Rubbish. Perhaps in your country (Though I suspect not).

Isn't it better to drive to Poland and do the test there?

Soldato

He clearly told me that aside from the driving, there's a clear degree of politics between instructors and examiners. It makes far more sense too.
He also told me some examiners were clearly sometimes being ****'s but if he commented about it he'd be sure that his next 5 students would fail at that examiner the next few times. And he said there were 2 examiners he was on good terms with and my chances of passing there would be higher than average. When I did my exam I had a new examiner he had never seen before but they spend most of my exam talking and discovering they went to the same education etc and it was clearly visible my instructor was trying to get on the right foot with him.

To say there are never politics involved is ignorant and stupid fox, you should know better that in most places things are not fair and often a matter of politics, it's like that at work, at school, at uni, everywhere. If you're on good terms with the people ''above'' you, you'll get an easier time.

What a load of old rubbish.

Soldato
There is an examiner at my local test centre who always ensures that the air-con/fans are turned off in the car so that he can catch you out for having steamed up windows. Moer of a handle now as everybody comes in prewarned but I expect people put him down as a right btard when he first started failing them (correctly) for it

Yer, but it is common sense to start up the AC etc if steam is forming.
Having said that, I nearly crashed on my proper test (which I passed with 1 minor) as it was a hot day, and I had the window of the AA Ford open.
Which was fine in the slow 30 zones, but it was getting noisy when entering the NSL 70, so I went for the close window switch, and accidentally set on the "play" setting that wound the window further down. Cue me getting a huge blast of air in the face from the now opening window while going 70MPH :mad:
Luckily I found the close button :D

Soldato
How confident you are when doing the test plays a large part I think. Also, whos to say you have to take your instructor with you? When I did my test it was just the examiner and myself. He actually said "you won't believe the number of cocky people who turn up expecting to pass."

Associate
Get over it. Harsh but true. I was failed for not checking my blindspot on my first test. I was an arrogant ***** like you but i realised i was an arrogant ***** and grew a pair of balls, and admitted and accepted it.

Soldato
Unless things have changed, when I took my drivinf test I was told the following:

Always try and get the first test of the day.

Otherwise, if the tester happened to have the world's most perfect driver before you, then your minor mistakes will show up more. Of course, it would work to your advantage if the previous one was useless but better to have a "clean slate"

Secondly, testors were expected to fail a certain percentage of drivers. So if he had passed loads of people that week and needed to get his percentage down, then he might fail you for minor things when on another day you would have passed.

Don't let it get you down. You'll pass next time.

Statistically speaking, drivers who failed their first test are less likely to have an accident.

Codswallop - people fail and crash because they make mistakes - nothing to do with the time of day the test is/was or if they passed the 1st or 10th time.

Soldato
Next test I was well ****ed off and made a load of mistakes and had a really jerky drive did some very silly things such as driving 40 in a 30, didn't give way to a smart car etc etc and passed with 7 minors.

What the hell is wrong with you that you would carry over frustration from a previous test, affecting your performance in the second test?

Also, you didnt do 40 in a 30, that's a major fault and the examiner would have noticed.

I failed first time too - as I was coming off a mini roundabout, an old man in a mobility scooter crossed the road in front of me, I slammed on the brakes but the examiner also hit the brakes too at exactly the same time. The rule states that if the examiner interferes then you fail - so despite the fact that I had hit the brakes and performed a perfectly acceptable emergency stop, I still failed.

But did the red mist descend? Did I go crying to the internet that they're all corrupt and make up any excuse for why I failed? No, I was disappointed, a bit upset but I got over it. I chatted to the instructor about the other minor points and used it as a learning experience.

I really worry about some peoples' attitudes these days

Associate
i think luck has a big part in passing your driving test.

i was 100% sure i failed, as when i was told to revearse round a corner. i couldnt see out of the back window. the de-mist button failed to work. then a bus came down the round. so i had to stop and give way.

the instructor said "stop and drive on, i know you can do it".

and the 2 tests before that i failed. i was sure i didnt make any mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom