1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failing Drive, advice please.

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by DampDog, 8 Dec 2020.

1. DampDog

Mobster

My ole system is nigh on 10 years old and beginning to show its age. I switched on last evening to be met with a blue screen and it running a check on drive D: It eventually booted and I ran error check from within windows and then chkdsk and both confirmed I have some unreadable addresses.

C: = 250Gig Samsung SSD
    D: = 1Tb Samsung HDD (partitioned D, E)

So fortunately the failing the drive is not the boot drive, it's a 1Tb that is partitioned D, files I don't use much: I have backups) & E: (windows backup/recovery files : Not backed up)

So what is the easiest most pain free way to replace it and not screw everything up. No doubt I have a few odds and sods/old apps on D: that I've forgotten about.

Is it as easy as remove the old drive and replace it? I'm thinking I may not bother partitioning it and leave it as a 1Tb D: this time.

Or is it bite the bullet and clean install?

Edit. System booted up this morning without issue.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2020
  2. Armageus

Don

Buy another drive that's at least as large

Install new drive alongside current drives

Install Macrium reflect (or create a bootable macrium reflect USB) and then clone the existing drive to the new drive, then shutdown and disconnect the old drive.

The new drive should then still have the existing D and E partitions, and everything should work correctly

3. DampDog

Mobster

@Armageus.

Cheers for that you're a star. :)

4. DampDog

Mobster

Just as a thought. If I chose to install separate drives for D: E: instead of a single partitioned, drive can Macrium do that?

5. Armageus

Don

Yes I'm pretty sure you can copy individual partitions to new drives (and expand them to fill the new drive)

6. DampDog

Mobster

Nice one. Overclockers is only just up the road from me, I'll pick up a drive later. Thanks again.