Fake brake discs i don't even...mintex

Caporegime
Yes it is. For BMW you want oem. obviously im not talking bbk or the big brake names, but when 40quid ***** of ebay is being discussing, and cheap crap like mtec, you wan't oem every time.

I have Mtec on my GT-Four and they were not cheap either. They have taken a hammering with carbotech XP10's so if they can handle those pads then they are good in my eyes.

Soldato
Yes it is. For BMW you want oem. obviously im not talking bbk or the big brake names, but when 40quid ***** of ebay is being discussing, and cheap crap like mtec, you wan't oem every time.

The thing is, OEM parts can be supplied to a specified drawing by various manufacturers who may have differing quality checks, standards or ways of meeting the drawing so it's not always black and white.

The OEM pads for my M135i are (usually) supplied by Jurid or Textar. However, other manufacturers make pads that meet the same part number drawing but use a different compound and hence have different braking performance characteristics.

The best option for me (for raw performance) is to actually buy based on the friction rating (e.g. the ATE pads are GG rated, rather than the OEM GF rated). However there is no clear indication of how the wear characteristics will differ. The ATE pads are delivered under the exact same OEN number as the Jurid and Textar items.

Associate
I have Mtec on my GT-Four and they were not cheap either. They have taken a hammering with carbotech XP10's so if they can handle those pads then they are good in my eyes.

MTEC are cheap crap. Previous owner of my 335i had them on my car, they had done less than 5k and they were shot. They were cracked near the centre housing on the discs on the front, and the rust was crazy. They also made the brake pedal shudder. They are inferior quality and utter *****. OEM discs are made of much better metal and coated properly, hence why they rust a lot less and slower. I wouldn't ever put MTEC, EBC, etc on a car of mine. Had OEM discs on for 3 years, barely any rust.

Caporegime
MTEC are cheap crap. Previous owner of my 335i had them on my car, they had done less than 5k and they were shot. They were cracked near the centre housing on the discs on the front, and the rust was crazy. They also made the brake pedal shudder. They are inferior quality and utter *****. OEM discs are made of much better metal and coated properly, hence why they rust a lot less and slower. I wouldn't ever put MTEC, EBC, etc on a car of mine. Had OEM discs on for 3 years, barely any rust.

My 350BHP GT-Four hasn't had any trouble with these. Mine are just plain grooved discs. Anti rust coating is still there. I guess it depends on the car as the ones for the GT-Four are specific for the car so maybe they get the blanks from somewhere else unlike a run of the mill 3 series. They also take a hammering on track with Carbotech XP10 pads which are in a different league to road pads and really work the discs so I have no complaints my end.

Maybe your set were installed poorly. I just checked the price of discs for a 335i and a GT-Four. The Celica are double the price!

Mtec do not make brake discs. They simply machine them for grooves etc and coat them. The blanks more than likely comes from the same place OEM's get theirs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The best metal brake discs rust in the blink of an eye, you can't really base quality on that.

Associate
MTEC are cheap crap. Previous owner of my 335i had them on my car, they had done less than 5k and they were shot. They were cracked near the centre housing on the discs on the front, and the rust was crazy.

The BMW OEM discs on the m135i I owned previously (supplied and fitted by main dealer when bought) used to rust just as much as any disc on any car i've ever owned.

You can't measure a disc quality on that alone, maybe the discs on your motor were the fake ones from ebay you've been talking about. Evidently there are some who use that brand who have had no issues.

Soldato
I think perhaps he might have been referring to the unswept area of the discs rusting - ie the edges and the centre part of the disc sitting over the hub.
Of course the bare face of the disc will always rust, but some disc manufacturers will paint the disc to stop other parts of it rusting - I had some Pagid discs like this.

Caporegime
OP
Okay..... Even though Demon Tweeks have their own ebay shop.

I also bought a genuine pair of rear e82 tail lights for £115 quid from ebay direct from Lloyd's bmw dealership. Usually they are £180 each.

Plus a set if poweflex rear mounts fir 39 quid on ebay via eurocarparts....

10l of fuchs titan gt1 flex 23 for £40 delivered...

Lots of real shops use ebay as their outlet to reach a large market especially when clearing old stock.

Associate
The best metal brake discs rust in the blink of an eye, you can't really base quality on that.

And the crackings ok? im talking large cracks from the centre and the juddering? lets not mention that eh? lol

Look do whatever the heck you want. MTEC are cheap ****, theres a reason there 40quid a disc. And dont get me started on drilled and grooved cheap crap. OEM are better simple as that.

Associate
Look do whatever the heck you want. MTEC are cheap ****, theres a reason there 40quid a disc. And dont get me started on drilled and grooved cheap crap. OEM are better simple as that.

In your opinion.
Are OEM better than mtec? Yeah, probably.
Are OEM better than any other disc available? No.

Man of Honour
And the crackings ok? im talking large cracks from the centre and the juddering? lets not mention that eh? lol

I didn't mention anything about cracking lol... Simply stating that the rusting bit of your statement means very little. Obviously cracking is bad.

Back
Top Bottom