Family car... Accord?

Man of Honour
It wasn't available until late '03 plate/early '53 plate. I was wrong about the age of the design though.

You should know better than to engage me in a battle of pedantry!

78705874.jpg

Soldato

The Honda can be remapped to about 170bhp whereas the TDCi isn't remappable. The TDCi has high clutch/DMF failure rates. The Honda also has a clutch/DMF which isn't free from potential problems but there is a modified DMF available from Honda which supposedly reduces the problem / frequency of problems. Cost of rectification in both cases high though (probably higher in the case of the Honda due to the more expensive parts).

Soldato
The Honda can be remapped to about 170bhp whereas the TDCi isn't remappable. The TDCi has high clutch/DMF failure rates. The Honda also has a clutch/DMF which isn't free from potential problems but there is a modified DMF available from Honda which supposedly reduces the problem / frequency of problems. Cost of rectification in both cases high though (probably higher in the case of the Honda due to the more expensive parts).

The DMF fitted to post 05 Mondeo TDCi's is also modified, which is the one you get with a replacement. There are solid flywheels available for both (I think, there definitely are for the Mondeo) if it really worries you, but I decided against it personally for driveability reasons and I've heard of people having gearbox issues after converting to solid.

Since when has a higher risk of failure ever put someone off a remap though? There was a prize grade numpty on here a while back who came to ask about remapping his ST TDCi, to be told by myself and others "dont". He was back within 2 weeks with a knackered flywheel. It does go to show it's also about how you drive it, he said he did a lot of hard launches, redlining it etc

Since performance, yet again, wasnt on the OP's critieria then talk of remaps is a bit moot anyway.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16130636 said:
I got the impression from his post he was talking about design age and making the point that the Accord was quite a bit more modern than the Mondeo in this respect.
I was. I scoured AT for literally minutes! There were one or two old shape accords on 03 plates and no new ones on 52 plates.

Now be honest, did you know that or do you just have superior google skills?

Soldato
OP
Yeah performance really isn't important to be honest. Ok I want a car that accelerates faster than a double decker bus but it will be used by the missus with the babies in 80% of the time while I'm at work. Fuel economy is more important... and saftey and comfort.

Also she doesn't like the look of the Mondeo as she says it looks dreary and I agree. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one for the right money and right model.

Interesting not one person mentioned the Vectra? Or any other car.

Soldato
OP
Is FV-R a sporty version of the FR-V? :p

I only know one family with an FR-V but they absolutely love it, even the Dad, and he's a real car man. Loads of space and good seat arrangements and all that jive.

No idea what they go for though, they are discontinued now though so maybe they'll depreciate less or even increase in resale value like an old Ferrari? :D
I think the fact it's now discontinued puts me off a bit. Won't parts become more expensive, etc?

Soldato
Yeah performance really isn't important to be honest. Ok I want a car that accelerates faster than a double decker bus but it will be used by the missus with the babies in 80% of the time while I'm at work. Fuel economy is more important... and saftey and comfort.

Also she doesn't like the look of the Mondeo as she says it looks dreary and I agree. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one for the right money and right model.

Interesting not one person mentioned the Vectra? Or any other car.

The thing with the Vectra is you get almost exactly the same thing with the mondeo for the Money - similar age, spec, mileage etc. The Vectra doesnt have anything going for it over the Mondeo, whereas the Mondeo has a few redeeming features over the Vectra

Soldato
The Accord is a bit nicer designed, but is let down by horrible plastics and nasty bits like the handbrake etc. Personal taste

I must ask if you've sat in an 03-08 accord? obviously you've sat in a mondeo as you own one. I'm in the middle of my next car search and I've recently sat in about 3 accord's, 2 mazda6's and 2 mondeo's and both had the revised interior / leather and i have to say the mondeo feels the cheapest of the 3 by a LONG way. Even the feel of the doors closing feels cheap and the major plastic sections of the dash feel and even look like they're made from recycled wheely-bins.

I'm not denying the mondeo feels a fairly nice drive and it has a lot going for it but the interior is pretty underwelming compared to the accord or the mazda6 when in the top spec black rarer trim (the one found as standard in the MPS and maybe 5-10% of 2.0's). The mazda6 looks pretty "fancy" inside and i'd say more modern than the other 2 but the accord feels/looks a lot more upmarket than either throughout.

I am also finding that generally the mazda6's are only about £500 more than mondeo's and accord's command perhaps £1500 more when comparing similar aged models of top spec which frankly isn't a LOT if you actually want to get your prefered choice and aren't on a strict budget.

What i've learnt this week is just how misleading pictures can be when looking at interiors. IMO you really get what you pay for.

Soldato
I have indeed, several of them - even new ones in the showroom.

It's the little things that bother me specifically but they are enough to put me off the whole car. In the Mondeo, most of the dash is matt squishy plastic. In the Accord they are shiny and harder. The narrowness of the steering wheel, the flimsy looking handbrake and some of the buttons that look like they're from a 1990s Civic.

The most annoying thing for me with the Accord, and this applies to most Japanese interiors is the use of text. It sounds ridiculous I know, but take this for example:

6C0S4405.jpg

"CRUISE CANCEL RES ACCEL DECEL SET" all in a tiny space. What's wrong with +/- etc? Just like a friend's avensis, has a little flashing light on the dash that is clearly the alarm, but just in case it has "SECURITY" plastered all over it...... I know it sounds utterly stupid, but I'd just spend all the time looking at it thinking "WHY!?"

As I say though, it's personal taste and the Accord is a very good car otherwise. The Mazda interior is definitely MUCH more plasticy and flimsy than the Mondeo though, although more visually appealing.

Soldato
I have indeed, several of them - even new ones in the showroom.

It's the little things that bother me specifically but they are enough to put me off the whole car. In the Mondeo, most of the dash is matt squishy plastic. In the Accord they are shiny and harder. The narrowness of the steering wheel, the flimsy looking handbrake and some of the buttons that look like they're from a 1990s Civic.

The most annoying thing for me with the Accord, and this applies to most Japanese interiors is the use of text. It sounds ridiculous I know, but take this for example:

6C0S4405.jpg

"CRUISE CANCEL RES ACCEL DECEL SET" all in a tiny space. What's wrong with +/- etc? Just like a friend's avensis, has a little flashing light on the dash that is clearly the alarm, but just in case it has "SECURITY" plastered all over it...... I know it sounds utterly stupid, but I'd just spend all the time looking at it thinking "WHY!?"

It is utterly stupid. :confused:

Soldato
I concur. He's like a mini-me version of Fox but taking anal to the extreme.

It's not anal, its just something I dislike. Probably irrarional and difficult to describe why, but it annoys me. I'm not saying anyone shouldnt buy an Accord, or any other japanese car for that matter because of it - it's just an opinion.

Fox can agree with me or he can drive a car with a lightswitch that says "THESE ARE THE LIGHTS, USE THEM IN THE DARK m'KAY?"....doesnt bother me in the slightest - I wish you'd stop lumping us together because we both express an opinion

Soldato
It is utterly stupid. :confused:

No accounting for taste huh? Lucky it's a free world and good job I'm not arrogant enough to suggest he doesnt buy an Accord because of my own tastes....that would be really annoying!

As I said, its difficult to describe, but I just think it's uneccesary, makes it look cluttered, borderline patronising. A good example of the patronising comment is my friend's avensis, next to the demist position on the heater controls, there's a thing saying "Use with" and the symbol for maximum fan speed. Why? The manual for my car suggests how best to demist the windows, but why does it need to be cluttering the dash up so it's right in your face?

Soldato
I've been driving a Ford S-Max today as a hire car. It's quite refined and the diesel engine is good at it's job (torque in the right place for overtaking on the motorway, but it feels a LOT faster than it actually is) and I achieved 53MPG average which I think is brilliant for something weighing 1.7+ tonnes, but I can't say the interior feel, finish etc is as good as Honda's recent offerings, not at all. Some of it felt very low rent, I dunno if that's just cos it's Zetec (quite low - no parking sensors or cruise :( ) or not, but hey

Soldato
Lets face it, neither Ford nor Honda make top quality interiors - they both have positives and negatives, it's entirely personal taste which one you prefer :)

Back
Top Bottom