Family hatchback thats economical and cheap to run (with added gf annoyance)

Permabanned
I've searched quite a few threads on here and each one seems to have different circumstances to my situation so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I want to buy a "medium sized" family hatchback for as little as possible and it has to be VERY economical. This will be the main family car and will be used for a mix of urban and motorway probably averaging around 10,000 miles a year. The following considerations need to be taken into account:

Silly girlfriend annoyances:

1: The car MUST be newer than 2001 or specifically must be on a new style reg plate. I have had argument after argument with her indoors about this, but she has a snobbish and stupid mentality with our next car having to be a "new" one which she defines as being on a new style plate. Whatever...I should buy as new as I can afford anyway so it has to be on a new style plate.

2: It MUST be no bigger than a medium sized hatchback. Again, I want to buy as big a car as we can get, like a Mondeo (which she has driven before) but she does not want a big car as "its hard to park" bla bla bla and smaller cars are just for girls and easier bla bla bla. So I've compromised on her wanting a small "cute" car like a 206 and said we will get a Focus, Leon, Golf sized car. Basically as spacious and big a medium sized car as possible.

Realistic and sane considerations: ;)

1: Must be cheap to buy. Absolute max of 3k but preferably cheaper.
2: Must be as economical as possible but will have enough power to be sensible and good enough to drive. Do not care for petrol or diesel. Whatever.
3: Must not be really loud on motorway journeys. Car must be atleast ok with regard to interior noise and refinement.
4: Must be spacious as can be with as big a boot as can be for a medium sized car.
5: Must have 5 doors.
6: Must be cheap to insure, tax and run.
7: All makes considered but preferably a car that looks ok whilst still being practical.
8: Must have power steering and air con. And preferably be a safe car for kids/family.

If I had enough money I would probably go down the VAG route with a Seat Leon, Golf TDI etc. But I'm edging towards cheaper motoring with a ford Focus as have had fords before and they seem cheaper to buy and run.

The money I would get for my old car would be absolutely minimal. We're talking maybe a few hundred quid. We need a new car for sure so will definitely be buying one, before anyone tells me it would be cheaper to replace my car with one of the same value and stuff :)

Thanks very much for any help.

EDIT: Oh sorry yeah, NO FRENCH CARS. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame you're ruling French cars (without an apparent valid reason) because a 306/Xsara would fit your requirements very well.

Other than that, I think you've already answered your own question by identifying the Focus. Other than that, a left field option might be a Fiat Stilo. You won't get a decent Golf4 TDi for £3k.

Soldato
5 door focus or astra would be my vote :)

i picked up a 2000 V reg astra for 2k last year in pretty good condish. biggest expense so far has been a water pump and cam belt change as it was due.

Soldato
A new plate car will almost certainly be in a higher tax bracket than the flat rate for pre 2001 cars, so when you have such a strict budget I'd have thought that would be a bigger concern than style.

I'll echo the get a new gf post. :p

Soldato
girlfriends and car preferences are utterly irrational. It remember eyeing up a mitsubishi galant about a year ago and getting "No way, you're not driving that" response. Eyed it up again 6 months later and she decided it was quite nice..... then she goes and crashes the cars anyway.............:)

Permabanned
OP
No french cars because I had one before and wouldn't have one again personally. Thats my valid reason. Yes she is irrational and a Pain in the bot but hey ho. I will take a look at astras and focus's and might convince her she can drive a mondeo again. I appreciate newer will be in higher tax bracket hence I want an economical low emissions car.
Ta

Associate
ugh girls and cars...

i live in London, get tube most places and live about 2min from the shops and its only me and her in the house hold.

i have a mx5 as i dont do many miles, dont buy much shopping and dont drive much.. at all! so when i do, its for fun!

she is constantly moaning at me to get a family car.. i mean wtf we dont need one woman!!!

anyway.. why not a seat leon 1.9 tdi 110, thats in ** price range.

dude.

Permabanned
OP
ugh girls and cars...

i live in London, get tube most places and live about 2min from the shops and its only me and her in the house hold.

i have a mx5 as i dont do many miles, dont buy much shopping and dont drive much.. at all! so when i do, its for fun!

she is constantly moaning at me to get a family car.. i mean wtf we dont need one woman!!!

anyway.. why not a seat leon 1.9 tdi 110, thats in ** price range.

dude.

Yeah Seat Leon is high on the list actually.

Soldato
Jeez, I count my blessings that my wife is quite content to have zero input on my car purchasing decisions. If I got nagged like that she'd out of the door ASAP.

Anyway, I digress. The problem with modern Focus sized cars (Astra, Golf) is that they don't have much space in the rear and a fairly pathetic amount of boot space. If you like VAG, and have kids then I can thoroughly recommend an Octavia. They are based on a Golf floor pan, but the body is a little larger than the Golf and the boot space is cavernous in comparison. 3k should get you a pretty decent TDi.

Back
Top Bottom