Fan Layout Question

Associate
Hi,

One of the cases I’m thinking of getting for my new build is the Fractal Design Meshify S2 as it seems to have a pretty good airflow for keeping the CPU cool. My only concern is the GPU temps - according to GamersNexus review the GPU temps are on the slightly higher side when compared to CPU temps. I was originally going to mount my CPU AIO on the front a intake, and have three fans on top and one at the rear for exhausts. Would adding one or two intake fans at the bottom help to cool my GPU? My CPU May end up being the 3700X and my GPU is an EVGA 2080ti FTW 3.

Thanks!

Soldato
Hi,

One of the cases I’m thinking of getting for my new build is the Fractal Design Meshify S2 as it seems to have a pretty good airflow for keeping the CPU cool. My only concern is the GPU temps - according to GamersNexus review the GPU temps are on the slightly higher side when compared to CPU temps. I was originally going to mount my CPU AIO on the front a intake, and have three fans on top and one at the rear for exhausts. Would adding one or two intake fans at the bottom help to cool my GPU? My CPU May end up being the 3700X and my GPU is an EVGA 2080ti FTW 3.

Thanks!

you want MAX lowest temp average, you'd mount CLC at the front and In take fans at the bottom supplying the GPU air.

wanting GPU to have the lowest temp and GPUs are ones most effected with temps due to how they boost. AIO up top and bottom and front intakes to supply GPU cool air whilst ridding the hot air past CLC/AIO.

10c extra doesn't effect CPU speeds, not with manual overclock. 10c with a GPU can knock a few 100hz off continuous boost speed!

Soldato
Okay, so my GPU will throttle due to thermals before my CPU does.

What tends to heat up more when gaming, CPUs or GPUs? I would presume GPUs.

yeah, VRM temps throttle CPU speed. If the CPU gets to hot it just crashes/shuts down

i think Pascal/Turing have it in built that for every 5c it goes over a base temp it throttles down by like 10hz or something . Been a while since i looked into it . Maxwell / 980ti you use to be able just to dump volts into it- that was all about getting as much power into it and then cooling it down . Now its getting it cold and letting the boost get as high as it can it's self

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help.

So if I want a cool case overall I should mount my rad in the front for intake, have two fans at the bottom for intake, have three at the top for exhaust, and one at the rear for exhaust?

Soldato
Thanks for your help.

So if I want a cool case overall I should mount my rad in the front for intake, have two fans at the bottom for intake, have three at the top for exhaust, and one at the rear for exhaust?

yeah, should supply CPU and GPU with clean air , and nice direct pathway out. Having a slightly higher Negative pressure if better for temps but allows dust to be drawn in from any unfiltered gap/hole !
Positive has more of a direct flow path and only your filters get dusty when running

Soldato
What tends to heat up more when gaming, CPUs or GPUs? I would presume GPUs.
2080 Ti pumps out four to five times as much heat as 3700X.

One last question: I presume I would have positive air pressure since I would have five 140mm intakes and four 140mm exhausts?
Depends on fan speeds and are all fans same model.
Advertised fan airflows are equal to car's top speed in free fall when dropped from airplane.
And max pressure isn't much more usefull.
Fan could have both better but do worser than another fan in real world situation.

Arctic P12/P14 are good very reasonably priced fans.
PST-models also come with built in splitter in cable for attaching multiple same job doing fans into one header.

Soldato
I would expect the fans on your AIO will deliver less airflow through the resistance of a radiator. So if 2-3 intakes are on a radiator, and maybe have a restrictive front panel, don't assume positive pressure.

Back
Top Bottom