Fancy trying my hand at learning the Guitar.

Soldato
For rock, one of the main choice's is to use humbuckers (these are the fat pickups on the guitars)

look at some guitars such as SG's, Les pauls and have a look at some of the ibanez range

Soldato
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
From reading around and hearing it, it seems to me that people tend to reccommend the Pacifica for pop, blues, and soul, that kind of music, which frankly I'm not overly intrested in playing. Its a nice looking guiter though in my opinion.

What about for rock / metal style of music, can it deliver the goods?

Oh, and just thinking about it, Hendrix too, I'd love to give a few of his a go, "All Along the Watchtower" expecially.

Edit: And if I ever stick with it, eventually I'd like to try playing that "Canon in D" that is on Google Videos. Doubt that will be any time soon though. Just think along the lines of that sort/style of playing.

When you get a guitar, learn the chords:

D major, A major, B minor, F#minor and G major.

There's Canon in D. :)

Soldato
OP
Andr3w said:
For rock, one of the main choice's is to use humbuckers (these are the fat pickups on the guitars)

look at some guitars such as SG's, Les pauls and have a look at some of the ibanez range

So...I can just rip out the pickups, put a different set in, and it will alter the sound? (kinda like changing the CPU in my PC, sort of thing?)

Associate
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
Would the Ibanez GRG170DX be a better alternative starter guitar to the Pacifica for what I want to do with it?

For Ibanez, I would have said take a look at the RG321 - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67798

Perhaps a bit out of your price range, but I would recommend that over the GRG170, as the GRGs tend to be the bottom of the range. On paper at least (er...or on a PC screen) it's the better guitar. Make sure to try one out though, to see that it's right for you. ;)

I don't know if that would be better than the Pacifica for the simple reason that I don't like the Pacifica, so I can't really give an objective opinion. :o

:edit:

You may want to take a look at the Vintage VRS series as well, though they're about £200, which is a little on the expensive side when compared to the Pacifica.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Andr3w said:
Ok, what "shape" of guitar do you like the look of?
Sg shape
http://www.blueblisters.com/images/special.jpg
Les paul shape
http://www.beatwater.com/GIBSON '70 Les Paul.JPG
Strat
http://www.maverick-music.com/ProdImages/hendrixfender.jpg

Then by telling us which shape you like, we can give you a list of a couple of guitars that would be good starter guitars

Strat.

SG.....well....it looks like Batman would play it, that isnt my thing, and the Les Paul one there, does indeed look good (in general i dont like that curvy top part), but I like the Strat much better.

Sol

Sol

Associate
I have a Standard American Strat and a Seagull S6+ /w cutaway and electronics. I started out with a Taylor Big Baby after having the guy in the shop play a few for me.

I recommend playing on an acoustic regardless of what kinda of music you prefer, the vast majority of people probably listen to electric music but don't know why you can't play the tunes acoustically. I feel that an acoustic is much more an extension of your playing than an electric, you can feel the sound resonate through you and you just get more feel in general.

Acoustic makes you focus more on technique initially too, you can get away with sloppy technique on an electric much more easily. One more very important thing on playing acoustic over electric is that it is cheaper going acoustic because you don't need an amp! You may decide the guitar is not for you and then you don't loose so much cash.

If you give an idea of your budget then it would be easier to recommend a gutar/amp or an acoustic (which you don't sound like you want).:D

I would recommend a Vox AD30vt or AD15 as your first amp as they are reasonably inexpensive and about 10 times better than the crappy marshall MG range (had a 30w one).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sol said:
If you give an idea of your budget then it would be easier to recommend a gutar/amp or an acoustic (which you don't sound like you want).:D

To be honest, you're right, I dont really want an accoustic (at least not at the minute anyway), kinda had my heart set on electric, albiet with no real reason why either way.

Budget for getting the kit for having a go at playing would be about £250 or so, although it is flexiable. I would probably end up buying online, as it is cheaper than what the local stores prices, however, so far the wee local places have had the guitars mentioned, and I'd be able to go and give them a blast at some point over the weekend (before running home and buying online, ok, so its a bit cheeky, but makes my cash go a bit further).

Sol

Sol

Associate
I reckon a pacifica would be good (even for metal I'm sure) and either the previously mentioned Roland Cube or the Vox amps would do you fine.

I'm sure single coils would be fine for metal anyway, tons of metal guitarists have used them over the years. You want heavy distortion just get a pedal.

Squires are hit or miss from what I've heard, there are different ranges of those too, the affinity is supposed to be rubbish but there are better ones. Get a Squire Tele, they look sexaaay!:D

My first acoustic cost me £340 and I'd highly recommend getting as much as you can afford if you know for sure you'll stick with it, otherwise you'll just want to upgrade everything shortly after = more cash.

Don't go down the online route to be honest, you'll end up with a guitar setup for satan most likely...at the very least try lots out in your local shop. If you mention to the shop owners that you can get it online for xxx price then they will usually bargain with you a little.

If you want your cash to go further then buy second hand, much better gear for much better prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can quite good acoustic guitars like the Yamaha F-310 for £70-£80. It's a good start and despite the low price sounds better than some guitars that cost a bit more.

got one of those sitting here. Bought it new, played it for about an hour then decided the guitar wasn't for me lol. Been meaning to sell it but finding a box is a b****!

Suspended
Teach yourself on acoustic and you'll never look back.

All the people I know who just do electric know about 2 chords, can't read tab, suffer from "fastest guitar in the west" syndrome, can't play in time for %%^&* - yes I know the link is tenuous, but I believe it to be true.

Plus, imo better songs are written on acoustic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom