1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanless PSUs

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Arrrg, 8 Mar 2006.

1. Arrrg

Associate

Are they any good?

I've been reading mixed reviews on them. I'm thinking of going silent with watercooling etc and I want to know if a fanless(silent) PSU is going to give enough power without getting way to hot, setting on fire and/or exploding after a few hours of use. I plan on just having a large front and rear fan to keep the air flowing to stay as quiet as possible :)

Last edited: 8 Mar 2006
  2. Indy500

Capodecina

Far from ideal I'm afraid. They just get too hot (Antec Phantom reached 90C under max load).

3. m3csl2004

Hitman

they smell terrible also

4. Amp34

Caporegime

How about watercoolng the PSU as well....

:o Sorry

*gets coat

I know its not what your asking but if you get a truly quiet PSU you probably wont be able to hear it anyway. I have an antec neopower which is to all intent and purpose absolutely silent and i am a real quiet machine freak. There are also some PSU's that have a fan that only comes on at a user defined temp, i think OCZ but i'm not sure. Hope this helps a little

5. Arrrg

Associate

I'm not quite THAT crazy yet :p

Anyway I think I will stick with my enermax 480w for now then :)

6. m3csl2004

Hitman

there are water cooled psu's

7. Amp34

Caporegime

Wouldnt like to get a leak! :eek: :p

8. welshtom

PermaBanned

Same as any water component getting a leak, a fuse will blow/short.

9. Big.Wayne

Capodecina

I'm into quiet PC's and have always been happy with PSU's that use a single adjustable 120mm fan.

10. Baron_Samedi

Wise Guy

I use a Yesico 600W model because of modern house syndrome and find it absolutely tops, completely silent and stable... as long as the case is kept well ventilated with nice slow running 120mm fans.

If the case internal temperature escalates then the PSU will switch on a fan by itself and the periodic on and off of the fan running can be a nuisance as you can hear its low drone during the night throughout the house :)