Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57

Soldato
:( RIP

was just reading his books the other day..... Skillgannon and Druss ehh... Decado and the Thirty....Waylander.....Jon Shannow (Rolynd? was it)

Permabanned
Surfer said:
:( RIP

was just reading his books the other day..... Skillgannon and Druss ehh... Decado and the Thirty....Waylander.....Jon Shannow (Rolynd? was it)
Ruthian and the Rigante books were allways good aswell, but nothing could come close to Druss.

Soldato
yeah Druss is cool but i thought Gemmell started to spread him a bit too thin. ie imagine druss is a bit of jam so you put a ton of jam in the sandwich and blam that sandwich is "Legend" but then he finds he has some jam left so he tries to make more sanwiches with the jam he has left ie spreading it too thin....still good but not as chunky.

dont really like it when authors...repeat the same story again in a different series of novels....Terry Brooks being the main criminal here for me.... could never really get past his triumphant intial shannara trilogy could he...someone should be on hand to tell him when its ok to stop dude. Rinse n repeat fomula hrmmm...

Suspended
David Gemmel was never the best fantasy writer of the bunch - at his best he was engaging, and at his worst he was dull and repetetive. However, he inspired an incalculable number of people, many of whom went on to become great writers themselves, and the fantasy genre owes him that.

Soldato
RIP :(

i've only read morning star. id like to read some drenai. is it ok to plunge in anytime with this series? or should i start with legend?

whats best from these?

Legend
The King Beyond The Gate
Quest For Lost Heroes
Waylander
Waylander II - In the Realm of the Wolf
The First Chronicles Of Druss The Legend
The Legend Of Deathwalker
Winter Warriors
Hero in the Shadows
White Wolf
Swords of Night and Day

FTM

FTM

Soldato
disaster..the 2nd book in the troy series isnt published until next month

means the third might not have been even written! I wont know how it ends

its never the same if they get somebody else to finish it...I hope he had his ideas sketeched out or a draft written

really gutted now....

one of my favourite writers dies..and he didnt get to complete the series he was working on :(

Soldato
As everyone else - absolutely gutted.

He'd just started writing the Troy books - in fact I have a signed one at home sad that he died I never even realised he was ill...

I used to love his little stories as to why he wrote the books and what his inspiration was - I've read pretty much all of the books he's wrote...

I was really looking forward to the second in the trilogy of the Troy books which was due out towards the end of this year...

My thoughts go out to his family.

Back
Top Bottom