fao: freefaller (and other frenchophiles)

Soldato
Kazatan said:
ok so this is how it goes:

L'espirit de l'escalier

You have an argument with somebody, and overall they win the argument. They are more witty or have the better come backs.

You then leave this argument and you suddenly think of something you should have said in the argument: a good retort etc

This came from the french for "Stair Wit". The phrase started when you left a party after the aforementioned argument and thought of the really good comeback whilst you were on the stairs leaving. hence stair wit.

I think this is what Zefan's doing right now :p .

/1712

Soldato
OvertoneBliss said:
I know what you mean. L'esprit de l'escalier literally means "The wit of the stairs".

Esprit (wit) is also translated to mean mind, or spirit, so it is quite clearly a metaphor.

You're in an argument and the other person wins with some quick wit, you go home and it could be many hours before you realise or think (ref: mind) of something to come back with. Giving us the image of our minds climbing up stairs.

In ideal circumstances, we would all like L'esprit de l'éclair: The wit of the lightning. :p

That's my take on it. :)

mmmm eclairs...

SiriusB

Man of Honour
French rocks :cool:

I've used that expression hundreds of times, I just couldn't focus on it last night. Well played people. :)

Sniffy, email me if you like, but I have limited internet access at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom