Fastest to 44km - a "TT" log

Soldato
Tried Zwift again this evening, but found even 18mi just painfully dull after 55mins. :(

Cheered myself up with some bench, however...

What turbo trainer model have you got?
Does it support the ERG training sessions, where you stick in a single gear (typically small ring and mid cassette) and then Zwift changes the power resistance?
What "trainer difficulty" (slope feel) are you using in other modes besides ERG? Default is 50%.
There's regular TT races throughout the week on Zwift, https://zwiftpower.com/events.php gives you the schedule, sign up and connect it to Zwift and Strava if you fancy competing for ranking points.
"Flying Cheetah" do weekly longer TTs that would suit your 44Km target, for example, this week it's https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=272556

Man of Honour
OP
What turbo trainer model have you got?
Does it support the ERG training sessions, where you stick in a single gear (typically small ring and mid cassette) and then Zwift changes the power resistance?
What "trainer difficulty" (slope feel) are you using in other modes besides ERG? Default is 50%.
There's regular TT races throughout the week on Zwift, https://zwiftpower.com/events.php gives you the schedule, sign up and connect it to Zwift and Strava if you fancy competing for ranking points.
"Flying Cheetah" do weekly longer TTs that would suit your 44Km target, for example, this week it's https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=272556

I'm using a Tacx Bushido that does support ERG mode, using the big chain ring to keep the chain path as straight as possible. As to the other settings: I have left them unchanged from default (because the Apple TV remove makes things really, really difficult).

Thanks for the suggestions, however! My main problem is that I don't actually "enjoy" cycling, but I like going fast on the bike (if that makes sense).

I also have a wife and kids which makes setting defined training times pretty hard and why I never do Zwift events... It might be something I look at in future, but I use the "workout" feature (with intervals) to make the grind less dull.

Another problem is Zwift trying to make things interesting: I chose what I thought was a flat route, but then Zwift though I wanted to try some KOM segments on two occasions. Not what I wanted as it isn't representative of what I am trying to replicate. :rolleyes:

I think I will try Netflix next. :p

Man of Honour
OP
Decided to hit Zwift again last night. Half an hour with over-unders and some threshold work.

Nice warm up for squat RM testing...

HANG SNATCH @ 65*2
BACK SQUAT @ 80*3, 100*1, 110*1, 120*1

Could pro ably have pushed to 130kg without too much trouble, but I lifted 120kg like an idiot and so figured my nervous system would be a bit hard-pressed. Plus it means my percentages for the next lifting phase will be easier. :rolleyes::D

Man of Honour
OP
Some bench (80*3*5) yesterday, and then some Zwift (Emily's Short Mix) today, followed by lifting...

HANG SNATCH @ 50kg
DBSS @ 40kg Had to back this off after a coccyx twinge! :eek:
WEIGHTED CHINUP @ +5kg :p (8*2)
RDL @ 120kg (5*2) Too heavy, but couldn't be bothered to unload the bar...

dod

dod

Soldato
Another problem is Zwift trying to make things interesting: I chose what I thought was a flat route, but then Zwift though I wanted to try some KOM segments on two occasions. Not what I wanted as it isn't representative of what I am trying to replicate. :rolleyes:

Have a look at these. You'll get the benefits of structured training regardless of what track you're on on Zwift. Just let the ERG kick in and go with it.

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/timetrials-specific/#timetrials-specific

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got back into the gym for some back squats... It was optimistic, but managed 105kg for sixes. A bit annoying because I was intending to do 102.5kg, but couldn't find the 1.25kg plates.

Also did half of Emily's Short Mix on Zwift before realising my legs would be too torched for squatting...

Man of Honour
OP
Hang snatch up to 60kg, with back squats at 107.5kg (because why not?).

My back was quite stiff, which was interesting: I suspect it was a consequence of fatigued squatting earlier in the way where I was sitting back too much instead of down... And they were actually easier today. Go figure.

Man of Honour
OP
Finally back in the gym...

HANG SNATCH @ 60-70
SNATCH PULL @ 80
BACK SQUAT @ 115

Heaviest squats in a LONG time and - whilst they were heavy and slow - they felt goooood.

Man of Honour
OP
Sunday...

HANG SNATCH @ 60kg
SNATCH PULL @ 80kg
BACK SQUAT @ 117.5kg Not training for a week didn't help - this was HEAVY.

Monday

SNATCH GRIP PUSH PRESS @ 70kg
STRICT PRESS ss/w CHINS @ 40kg (8) / 12kg (7)
DELTSANTRIZE

Man of Honour
OP
Urgh... Last round of heavy triples before a 1RM re-test this weekend.

HANG SNATCH @ 60kg (2)
SNATCH PULL @ 80kg (3)
BACK SQUAT @ 120kg (3)

Legs and - weirdly - lats are feeling it this morning!

Back
Top Bottom