Fat burn before holiday

Associate
Hi All

Before I ask my question I want to pre-empt some of the usual responses ;)

I am not just starting my fitness plan just before my holiday and expecting to lose 6 stone in 6 weeks or anything.

I started my weight loss plan in January and have lost 15kg so far.

I feel and look much better for it and now I want to really hammer blubber loss for the next 8 weeks.

I have sorted my diet and exercise. I eat little and often and work out at least once a day, usually twice.

Exercise wise, I do weights twice a week, 1 PT session a week, a few interval runs, a few 5k runs and 2 or 3 circuits classes.

So my question is - what can I do for the next 8 weeks to really blast my remaining body fat and spare tyre. I would like to lose about 8kg to hit my target weight before the 15th July.

I am aware that I can't target my spare tyre in isolation etc etc, but I am sure abs work will help.

Happy to look at exercise and diet.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
Aaron

Soldato
17.5lb's in 4 weeks is not really attainable, weight loss slows down after the initial big loss. How many calories a day are you eating? How many lb's are you losing a week?

Associate
OP
Hey LiE

I do a few HIIT runs a week.

I warm up at 6km/ph for 4 minutes.
Then do 1 minute at 18km/ph followed by 1 minute at 6km/ph
I repeat this 8 times and then cool down for 4 minutes.

Cheers
Aaron

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You need to be careful losing so much per week. I think 1-2lbs a week is the safe zone, any more and you'll be at risk of dropping lean muscle too.

I believe the trick with HIIT is to vary the intensity each time you do it. Syla5 is doing some HIIT currently and each time he does it the intervals are different.

Soldato
Ah my mistake, 2lb's a week is reasonable. When you say you have your diet nailed down, how many calories are you eating a day? If you don't know you should try and work it out.

How much do you weight now and how tall are you?

Associate
OP
Yeah that's one of the things I am worried about.

I have started taking diet (carb free) protein shakes to try and combat muscle loss.

I will try changing my HIIT intensities around a bit to trick my body.

I have massive legs which means that it can be really hard to get heart rate high, they are very efficient. I can get it to around 160bpm but no much higher

Associate
OP
Hey Roar

I use myfitnesspal - I am eating about 2000 calories a day - but I balance this with exercise, so according to MFP I am eating 1500 calories once the exercise is factored in.

Food wise I start the day with smoothie with fruit and oats. I snack on fruit and nuts. Lunch is usually a salad with chicken or fish. Dinner is again lean meat or fish with vegetables. I drink green tea, black coffee and water. I seldom drink alcohol.

Aaron

Soldato
Diet is key mate. Get your diet figured out completely and work from there, do a good weight routine (3 times a week) and eat well, mix in 20 minutes of incline walking at a moderate pace each day (even after a work out) and aim for 1kg weightloss a week to ensure you're not losing lean muscle mass also=)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You're in too much of a deficit. Work out your BMR, adjust it for weight loss based on best practice and dial the diet into these numbers.

You don't want to look skinny and underfed when you drop to lower body fat levels.

Associate
OP
1kg a week is perfect for me -as that will see me hit my goal.

I just want to try and blast fat.

I think my diet is ok, but it's not tailored to fat loss as such, just general good eating.

Are there any diet tips I can follow that will really help?

I.e no carbs, certain good foods.

Thanks

Soldato
To be honest it doesn't seem you need to do much drastic. Tailor your calories so you're dropping 1kg-1.25kg a week, keep lifting weights and keep up the cardio. If your weight loss slows then you'll need to lower calories (from your new base point) or up exercise. To be honest though unless you're pushing sub 10% I'd guess weight loss will remain fairly linear.

Soldato
a tip i would offer would be not to look at the loss you are after in a weight term. Use it as a guide, but aim for a visual point where you will be happy. If your aiming to lose weight you might get to a point where, as LiE has said you will start losing lean muscle mass.

I have stayed the same weigth for the last 3 weeks but visually have got leaner after moving to a reduced calorie diet :)

For hiit i am folling the plan as follows:

Week 1-2 1:4 (high intensity:low intensity) 15sec:60sec 10x high set reps
week 3-4 1:2 (hi:li) 30sec:60sec 10x hi set reps
week 5-6 1:1 (hi:li) 30sec:30 sec 15x hi set reps
week 7-8 2:1 (hi:li) 30sec:15 sec 15x hi set reps

the key with Hiit is shorter more intense periods of high intensity, if you able to keep at the high intensity periods for more then 30 seconds your not pushing hard enough.

I do my hiit on a bike and really hammer the hi reps!

If your happy with your conditioning when it comes to CV work i would suggest jump in to that right at week 5-6 and do the 1:1 ratio HiiT and increase the intensity of your high intensity periods :)

Back
Top Bottom