Fat kids? Mums - it's all your fault!

Caporegime
OP
Well yeah... that's generally why both parents have to work.

AHH-Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
If we could afford any of that **** in the first place, we'd happily sacrifice it!

You clearly move in far richer circles than us...

Not really. I live up in the desolate north. Now that the mines have closed down we all have to lick the slime off rocks and scratch for potatoes to appease our southern overlords. I'd say my closest friends are high 20s to low 30s and they manage on a single income.

Soldato
Its true though. I wouldn't say its particularly their fault, historically gender specific roles have been far more rigid.

Of course that's no excuse for current generations to maintain those viewpoints ... but then saying that, there are plenty of "men" and "women" these days who are equally useless at both traditional male and female activities, and you have to wonder what skills they actually possess other than duck face posing and twitter feeds :p

Edit: I guess that's not a particularly new thing, my MIL in her late 60s can't wire a plug, would probably have a mental breakdown if asked to do an oil change, nor can she cook or do the washing up without me needing to redo half of it :(

I agree it's true just a dumb post that I quoted to make the point.

It's just the same with young ones now though who can't do loads, not just an elder generation. People are people and have different skills, generalisations don't help anywhere.

Soldato
I think the headline is purposefully provocative to get feed back.

But I agree with the general basic point that if there are 2 parents both working and the kids have to find food for themselves when they are home then its not going to be healthy food.

Soldato
In Morrisons this morning at check out a woman came up behind us - I think it was a woman or it could have been a corner sofa - she plonked two bags of crisps on rubber belt - These wasn't single bags but bags with at least 24 bags of crisps in them. - other times I have seen the trolley full of bottles of Coke. ??

We buy two single bags for the week just in case we fancy one.

Soldato
In Morrisons this morning at check out a woman came up behind us - I think it was a woman or it could have been a corner sofa - she plonked two bags of crisps on rubber belt - These wasn't single bags but bags with at least 24 bags of crisps in them. - other times I have seen the trolley full of bottles of Coke. ??

You're the weirdo in this scenario.

Two single bags indeed!

Soldato

I'm not saying eat 24 bags of crisps, but to be fair there aren't even many calories in a packet of crisps. And "sweets" while we're at it aren't very calorie dense as they're basically just sugar which is only 4 calories per gram. People tend to be overweight from having large portions of their regular meals, just eating big platefuls of regular food. Having Pizza isn't bad in itself, having a full Pizza to yourself as well as a big breakfast and a big lunch and the snacks between is.

Essentially what I'm saying is your diet needs to be looked at as a whole, and there's no such thing as bad food, portion sizes and number of portions are more important than what those portions are actually comprised of. Calories in must be less than Calories out, however you achieve that balance.

Soldato
Is this fat people eat McDonald's cliché thing still a thing?
I mean I've been to McDonald's 3 times In the past 3 months, twice in Belgium and I didn't see a single fat person except me. A lot of young people but that's about it?
Maybe it's different there, here there's a lot of fat people waddling about, ordering Grand Big Macs with large fries and a diet coke...

Soldato
Maybe it's different there, here there's a lot of fat people waddling about, ordering Grand Big Macs with large fries and a diet coke...
Isn’t there a link between zero sugar soft drinks and obesity — something to do with the brain tasting ‘sweet’ but not getting the expected sugar, so you then overcompensate with additional calories.

Caporegime
Isn’t there a link between zero sugar soft drinks and obesity — something to do with the brain tasting ‘sweet’ but not getting the expected sugar, so you then overcompensate with additional calories.

Anecdotal I know, although that seems to be the theme in GD threads lately but every person I know who drinks zero sugar stuff is massively overweight.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The majority of couples I know could easily live off just one persons income.................. snip.....

Correlation != causation.

Hint - it's not the mothers working that's causing an increase in obesity in their children.

Caporegime
OP
Correlation != causation.

Hint - it's not the mothers working that's causing an increase in obesity in their children.

Have you had some part in the research? I'm just going off what the sources have said and they're all directly attributing mothers working as the cause. I can't get hold of the paper itself as I'm not sure its in the public domain yet.

Back
Top Bottom