Faulty new car, what are my rights?

Associate
just spoke to my work collegue who was a service manager for a large vauxhall dealership, he said that basically if you have the same fault 3 times then you have a very good case to push for a new car.

Soldato
First off, Vauxhall are in effect right that this is the dealers problem. You bought the car from the dealer so your contract is with the dealer. If Vauxhall are supplying their dealers with faulty products that is a problem for the dealer to take up with them. The dealership manager advising you to contact Trading Standards to take it up with Vauxhall is just wrong - its his door they should be knocking on.

If I were you, I would send a letter detailing all the outstanding faults on the vehicle and state the you expect these to be rectified on the next visit to the garage. If they recur, you intend to reject the car under the SoG Act as the car is not of satisfactory quality and you will return it to the dealers and expect a full refund or a new replacement vehicle. Fit for purpose may also apply but would be harder to prove as its not really breaking down.

Useful advice - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

Soldato
I'd give these guys a ring: Consumer Advice 08454 04 05 06

They'll give you as good-er information as the CAB (my CAB acually gave me incorrect information), and they can also forward the case onto Trading Standards if you've exhausted all the options available to you.

They were pretty good when I had to contact them, when it eventually went to Trading Standards I got a phone call about it within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom