Favourite Pub names

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Balddog said:
Did you read the article? The reason for the hitler themed bars and cafes was the chic fashion...Not the ideology..

I said it isn't the ideology they glorify, but the Nazi's themselves / Nazi 'chic'. There is a difference, but a very fine one.

They know Hitler was a bad dude who tried to take over europe and killed a lot of jews...Most people in the UK dont even know who the leader of Japan was during ww2 :o

Which is why they should know what happened. If they're going to glorify the Nazi's, at least know what they bloody did!

Where do you draw the line though? What about previous wars? Where do we stop? What about WW1? What about the Napoleonics? What about the crusades? Also remember that this is Korea...What Hitler did had absolutely no effect on anything over here..
Actually, Hitler had everything to do with that. Would the Koreans have been at war for a start? Would Japan have been doing what they were if it wasn't for the war effort and Nazi Germany? Japan used this time to try and expand it's empire. The whole reason they attacked Pearl Harbour was because they wanted to take some land from America but didn't want the American fleet retaliating (slightly generalised).

Also, think to yourself...How many times have you seen the Imperial Japanese flag used in pop culture in the west? Its pretty damn popular..You know, the rising sun thing...Ive seen it in everything from food adverts on TV to music videos to god knows what else..

That's very true, but two wrongs don't make a right. Also, I fail to see how the loss of millions of innocent, civilian life and the holocaust compare to the Imperial Jap' flag. They're related ofcourse, but not in the same league.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Interesting..

My school didnt touch on WW2.. :/

We did Hitlers rise to power, Cold War, WW1 for coursework and a couple of other bits and bobs.

Got sick of it by the end, spent 4 years basically learning about Hitler, when your a history nutter like I am hearing the basic sales pitch on Hitler that a teacher gives you gets very tiresome.

We went through all of the aspects of Hilters Germany from the state holidays through to Kristallnacht and Reichsmordwoche.

Quite boring for most people, or everyone, but was fun talking to the teachers about it, especially the head of history who had some very interesting views on Hitlers management of Germany.

Soldato
panthro said:
The Black Boy

Used to have a picture of a black man on the sign, now its changed to a chimney sweep.....cant think why :confused: ;)

Is that in Nottinghamshire?? Theres one called that here as well, can't think how the sign is now.

Soldato
Nix said:
I said it isn't the ideology they glorify, but the Nazi's themselves / Nazi 'chic'. There is a difference, but a very fine one.

They thought the fashion was cool...If they were spouting nazi propaganda then id take issue with it..Its just harmless.

Actually, Hitler had everything to do with that. Would the Koreans have been at war for a start? Would Japan have been doing what they were if it wasn't for the war effort and Nazi Germany? Japan used this time to try and expand it's empire. The whole reason they attacked Pearl Harbour was because they wanted to take some land from America but didn't want the American fleet retaliating (slightly generalised).

Erm...You know the war in asia started long before pearl harbour right? Like 10 years before...

This isnt the place for a discussion about WW2 but youre also wrong about the reasons for Pearl Harbour.

That's very true, but two wrongs don't make a right. Also, I fail to see how the loss of millions of innocent, civilian life and the holocaust compare to the Imperial Jap' flag. They're related ofcourse, but not in the same league.

You dont see the connection?

Well you obviously havent the slightest clue about what the Japanese did to their neighbours during the early part of this century then...Do you have any idea how many Chinese civilians were killed by the Japanese? Obviously not...Any idea how many Korean women were raped in Japanese goverment organised mass brothels? Any idea how many Phillipinos were butchered?

Oh in case you do want to know..It was about 17 million chinese civilians killed by the Japanese...

but of course...thats not in the same league is it..

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Balddog said:
They thought the fashion was cool...If they were spouting nazi propaganda then id take issue with it..Its just harmless.

Yes it's harmless, but it's also incredibley disrespectful.

Erm...You know the war in asia started long before pearl harbour right? Like 10 years before...

Yes, not as up on the fine details as that of Europe but I do know you can't mention one without the other.

This isnt the place for a discussion about WW2 but youre also wrong about the reasons for Pearl Harbour.

Thanks, I'll revise what I know.

You dont see the connection?

Well you obviously havent the slightest clue about what the Japanese did to their neighbours during the early part of this century then...Do you have any idea how many Chinese civilians were killed by the Japanese? Obviously not...Any idea how many Korean women were raped in Japanese goverment organised mass brothels? Any idea how many Phillipinos were butchered?

Oh in case you do want to know..It was about 17 million chinese civilians killed by the Japanese...

but of course...thats not in the same league is it..

Now no need for the sarcasm. I do know that genocide happened too, I also understand it was on a huge scale, what I was saying though was that compared to that of the civilians lost and the holocaust in Europe, the sheer numbers don't compare. Perhaps saying they're not in the same league was a bit harsh. You are right though, I don't know as much about the Pacific as as I should. I'll make a point of reading up on the subject when I can get back to my university's library.

Soldato
Nix said:
Now no need for the sarcasm. I do know that genocide happened too, I also understand it was on a huge scale, what I was saying though was that compared to that of the civilians lost and the holocaust in Europe, the sheer numbers don't compare. Perhaps saying they're not in the same league was a bit harsh. You are right though, I don't know as much about the Pacific as as I should. I'll make a point of reading up on the subject when I can get back to my university's library.

Sorry but for someone who had such a big rant against people being ignorant, you sound pretty ignorant yourself mate..

FAR more civilians were killed in asia by the japanese than in europe by the germans...

Read up on Nanking if you want pure savagery..Nothing the Germans did came close to that.

You honestly cant see that the Flag of the nation that did all this might be offensive? Yet its pretty common in our pop culture. Why? because it didnt affect us....

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Balddog said:
Sorry but for someone who had such a big rant against people being ignorant, you sound pretty ignorant yourself mate..

FAR more civilians were killed in asia by the japanese than in europe by the germans...

Read up on Nanking if you want pure savagery..Nothing the Germans did came close to that.

You honestly cant see that the Flag of the nation that did all this might be offensive? Yet its pretty common in our pop culture. Why? because it didnt affect us....

Alright, I'll read up on the subject. It was on my list of things to do, but you've put it slightly up on my priorities now. I know a lot about what happened in Europe in quite some detail, but I only have a very generalised view of Asia. I'm 'aware' of what happened but not educated on the matter. I'll change that. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from though, it just disgusts me the way people show such a lack of disrespect. You have identified a very good reason for it. It's just plain ignorance.

Soldato
Highlighted on MSN to you. ;)

You also have to factor in Manchuria, and the later repurcussions of the PLA being based there, all because of Japan literally sturring the region up, allowing the Soviet Union to 'liberate' Manchuria when they declared war on Japan.

Permabanned
suicidle_tramp said:
Roffle! :D

Not a pub, but there's a general store near where l live, owned by: Ignius P. Freely.

a little off topic but at my hospital i noticed a sign on a Doctors office door that simply read...

Dr O. Nion.

Back
Top Bottom