Favourite Roads...

Soldato
Hartside Pass is fantastic, if a little too popular now.

I also used to love the B6306 from Consett to Hexham when I had the 106, the civic is a little too crashy for roads that tight :( Still a fantastic drive though.

Edited to agree with Moss :D

Soldato
Wales - A44/A479 (off the M4 and through Abergavenny and Bulith-Wells towards Abersytwyth). Awesome mixture of tight bends, long sweeping corners and long straight sections.

New Forest - The road that goes through Burley and Brockenhurst. Very open countryside so you can apex bends as you can see everything along the road(in theory of course, i've never tried it ;)).

Associate
A683 from lancaster to Kirkby londale (Devils bridge) then continue along A683 to Sedbergh, then onto the A684 to Hawes. The take B255 to Ingleton, then A65 back to Devils bridge. Loverly route, nice and twisty.

Robb

Soldato
#Chri5# said:
C25 - near Girona to Vic

D2566 Menton - Sospel (I'll dig out a pic of this)

Just part of the D2566:

sospel.jpg

You'd be surprised how well a 1.2 Clio hire car does handbrake turns.

Then from Sospel, head for the Col du Turini as you run the famous route from the Monte Carlo Rally :cool:

Associate
Just thought of a another gooden - Road from Hastings to Ashford that goes through Rye. The A259 with a fantastic mix of long straights, tight corners and S-bends (just watch for the railway crossings) which turns into a fantastic wide typical A-road when you near Ashford.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Several really good ones...

The road from Pickering to Whitby is a fab road, cracking views, and some nice corners.

IF you want insane road, then the maddest piece of tarmac is Hardknot pass in the lake district, mostly 1 in 3's with hairpin bends and stuck transit vans doing 5 point turns to get around the said hairpins.

Other worthwhile mentions...

The A66 is a nice road, usually too busy, but nice when its quiet.

Snakepass is good, i think woodhead pass is just as nice though..

Soldato
B660 from bedford to kimbolton

B1048 from st neots to abbotsley

few unclassified roads around the local villages (toseland, yelling etc)

dont think anyone will have a clue what roads i am on about but worth mentioning anyway

FTM

FTM

Soldato
forget the A69 you want the B6318 north of it..the old military road

views of the Roman wall...and some greats dips and corners

the A686 is also superb from Haydon Bridge to Alston or you can keep on going to Penrith

A689 is also a cracker

The A68 from corbridge up to Otterburn has some hills on the road that make my eye water..one in particular is the same angle on both sides with almost a pointy top...I also seem to sit up in the seat to try to see over the top...daft I know :)

also..out of the tourist season as its very important...the Road down Borrowdale from Keswick and take it all the way to Honnister Slate mine..or even down further if you want to enact your Colin Mcrae fantasies.....its got to be out of season of VERY early in the morning or you dont get a clear run...simply superb

Soldato
By a long shot, it's Muckingford Road in Thurrock, Essex.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...8&ll=51.483067,0.393319&spn=0.018654,0.053902

I just love this road - it's such a buzz. It's my fav for the following reasons:

• It's narrow - probably around 5 metres wide
  • You can't see what's coming round the corners
  • It's banked and cambered perfectly
  • Has something that resembles a very short and mini Nurburgring carousel
  • It's an NSL
  • It's in the middle of a set of fields
  • It's in good condition and well maintained
  • Not very busy, virtually empty at night
  • Has two small roundabouts at either end
  • Is fun for all types of cars - from a 1972 Triumph Toledo @ 75mph to an Impreza Turbo at "slightly" more than that

The only shame is that it's quite short, especially at the more daring of speeds. Even so, I just wanna go and drive on it now, over and over again :cool:

Caporegime
PMKeates said:
By a long shot, it's Muckingford Road in Thurrock, Essex.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...8&ll=51.483067,0.393319&spn=0.018654,0.053902

I just love this road - it's such a buzz. It's my fav for the following reasons:

• It's narrow - probably around 5 metres wide
  • You can't see what's coming round the corners
  • It's banked and cambered perfectly
  • Has something that resembles a very short and mini Nurburgring carousel
  • It's an NSL
  • It's in the middle of a set of fields
  • It's in good condition and well maintained
  • Not very busy, virtually empty at night
  • Has two small roundabouts at either end
  • Is fun for all types of cars - from a 1972 Triumph Toledo @ 75mph to an Impreza Turbo at "slightly" more than that

The only shame is that it's quite short, especially at the more daring of speeds. Even so, I just wanna go and drive on it now, over and over again :cool:

I'm in that area towards the end of the week, I'll try it in my 44 tonner! :eek: :D

Lopéz said:
Of course, the best roads are ones like the Old Trecastle road and Ystradfellte pass, but nobody will have ever heard of those :D

Ahh! The wonderful waterfalls of the Ystradfellte area. :cool:

Great road.

For me ,however, its got to be any thats flowing, heading out of the London area.

Man of Honour
R124/LA420 said:
Ahh! The wonderful waterfalls of the Ystradfellte area. :cool:

Great road.
If you follow the road to Ystradfellte that winds down the mountain then dives through some trees you get to a bit where the road rolls out infront of you (single track of course) like a ribbon.....until a humpback bridge.

If you hit that little yump at about 90mph in a Peugeot 205 GTi you will get a good couple of foot off the ground and travel several car lengths in the air and land so hard that the strut top bolts put neat little dents in the bonnet.

Not that I've tried it or anything :D

Back
Top Bottom