Favourite Roads...

Caporegime
Lopéz said:
If you follow the road to Ystradfellte that winds down the mountain then dives through some trees you get to a bit where the road rolls out infront of you (single track of course) like a ribbon.....until a humpback bridge.

If you hit that little yump at about 90mph in a Peugeot 205 GTi you will get a good couple of foot off the ground and travel several car lengths in the air and land so hard that the strut top bolts put neat little dents in the bonnet.

Not that I've tried it or anything :D

Ha ha!

Why do I know it'll be "Death of the 7" if I try that out...... :D :o

I'll go have a look in the summer, but I'll bear in mind your note. ;)

Associate
catandfiddle.jpg

A537 - Macc to Buxton. Twisty, fun and hilly with a pub at the summit for good measure. Watch out for the nutter bikers.

Another vote for this one and yes i am one of those nutter bikers he's on about !!!!
Generally called the "cat and Fiddle" road cuz thats the pubs name. Highest pub in England supposedly. Been spoiled due to the umarked coppers up there at the weekends now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Horseshoe pass (in Wales) can be good, often full of tourists and mad bikers though, so pays to be a little careful at times....

One for the Aber lads, the road to Clarach bay from the top of PJM...very tight, very twisty, one superb hairpin bend, hump backed bridge for a bit of air, few off camber corners. Very narrow, like a good tarmac rally stage though...mate of mine last year who did road rallies took me down there as a passenger a few times last year at 3am or so in his Corolla 1.6 VVTi with full spot lights and so on, absolutely insane...spend most of the time sideways. Don't try it during the day though :o

Soldato
Will said:
Horseshoe pass (in Wales) can be good, often full of tourists and mad bikers though, so pays to be a little careful at times....

One for the Aber lads, the road to Clarach bay from the top of PJM...very tight, very twisty, one superb hairpin bend, hump backed bridge for a bit of air, few off camber corners. Very narrow, like a good tarmac rally stage though...mate of mine last year who did road rallies took me down there as a passenger a few times last year at 3am or so in his Corolla 1.6 VVTi with full spot lights and so on, absolutely insane...spend most of the time sideways. Don't try it during the day though :o

Aye, me and my mate used to go running along that road and follow the road all the way to Borth and down to Ynslas :eek: Then drive back to Aber. Pain is all in the mind I guess!

That hairpin is mental, on a camber and on a steep hill, first gear job. I saw a woman stall it once and she rolled about 30 metres back.

Soldato
Fossil said:
Didn't know there was a name for that. Went down that road about 3 years ago, views were lovely, but not when you look down at the valley to see how high you were :eek: :o

Yeah as you go on at the Glossop (Manchester) end look down into the valley and you will see how the river rolls round and looks like a snakes head, it takes its name from that rather than the winding rounds :)

Associate
Tioga pass in Yosemite National Park, California is truely spectacular. Then on towards Mono Lake some scary drops and wonderful views. Could have been better than my Grand Caravan hire car :)

Soldato
thebrasso said:
Aye, me and my mate used to go running along that road and follow the road all the way to Borth and down to Ynslas :eek: Then drive back to Aber. Pain is all in the mind I guess!

That hairpin is mental, on a camber and on a steep hill, first gear job. I saw a woman stall it once and she rolled about 30 metres back.

Will said:

Just drove down that road for the first time today.....O.....M.....G. Some really nice twists and turns!

Soldato
A272 from Winchester to Haywards Heath, although its better on the way back!

Used to drive it all the time to go visit Mrs N and it's pretty good fun in a small car with a bit of poke. Loads of twists and turns with beautiful scenery along the way. Just as long as you don't get stuck behind the ever present pensioner/tractor/caravan.

Oh, and watch out for the bikes on Sundays! They love the road too but are one hell of a lot faster along it. They tend to come at you in the middle of the road too. Quite a few times I've been passed by a guy blasting through on two wheels only to see them a few miles on pulling themselves out of a hedge.

Worse was the time I saw a guy who'd been through a roundabout head first! It looked like his bike had made it through before he did but both he and his machine were in a bit of a mess. Full on twisted body parts and bits of bike everywhere. Not nice :(

Back
Top Bottom