1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up with every days GDPR pop up!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bulldog147, 13 May 2021.

1. Stolly

Soldato

If you want to live in a country where the concept of private data does not exist, and your NHS health records are sold to the highest bidder, and you can't get life insurance because of what you told your GP last year, or have to pay more for travel insurance, or have a place like OcUK sell your purchasing history to marketing companies so you get even more ads, or being bombarded with contact from weightwatchers because they've bought your order history from Justeat or the footage from next doors Ring doorbell camera is being used by the local council or police without anyones consent (this has happened in the US) then by all means have GDPR revoked.

2. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

I don’t think there’s enough security with personal data anyway. Not to mention how much is harvested is disgusting.

3. Einskis Nokkur

Gangster

4. petridish

Hitman

I find this thread a bit odd, surely the pop ups you're complaining about are for cookies not GDPR? I thought GDPR was all about how companies handle the data they have on you not whether you consent to using cookies?

I'm sure I saw something recently about a change to the law on cookies being on the cards? The current situation is far beyond the 'spirit' of what the law intended. What was meant to help privacy is now just a nuisance for most people and 90% of the time doesn't actually stop the website using cookies. As others have said here, if it's too hard to opt out then I just leave and go elsewhere.

5. Th0nt

Capodecina

He is not off point though as all the cookie bombardment and twisted wordsmithing to get you for harvesting has come about due to the GDPR rollout. It was nothing like this before that passed and kicked in.

6. BowdonUK

Soldato

The Brexit nightmare... will we ever rid ourselves of the EU!? /s ;)

7. Dolph

Man of Honour

They kept it purely to annoy the OP personally.

8. petridish

Hitman

Ah hadn't realised, in my head the problem with cookies came first.

Finally we've got to the real reason!

9. Nasher

Capodecina

GDPR just seems to have made the internet even worse for spam. Another poorly thought out EU idea. Now it's been mirrored in UK law, so we can't get rid of it.

And now when DPD deliver your parcel to the wrong address they can't even tell you where it went.

If they want to stop people collecting personal data, make a law which says they have to pay people for their data if it's used for ads. Watch it stop overnight.

10. Sho

Mobster

I don't care about cookies - Firefox.

I never get any of these cookies/gdpr pop ups.

11. ElliorR

Sgarrista

You're wrong, it'd be....

DEAR PARLIAMENT, I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE CORPORATIONS ALL MY DATA FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT, TO SAVE ME HAVING TO AGREE TO CLICK ONE MOUSE BUTTON ON A WEBSITE WHEN I VISIT.

SIGNED
    BULLDOG147

12. Th0nt

Capodecina

It was almost believable..

But alas, no grammatical errors or verbage abuse! :p

13. Th0nt

Capodecina

We are now regressing back toward the days of GIF media bloat sites and pop ups. I guess having broadband now instead of 56k modems makes it barely tolerable.

14. StriderX

Caporegime

It would have to be made expressly more expensive than what it's currently worth as nobody is going to care about 0.0004p and the fine for taking the data anyway would have to be extremely damaging (to the point of threatening a company's existence) for them to not just ignore the law.

15. Ninco!

Wise Guy

To be honest I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people click 'accept' without reading what they are clicking on!

16. Stolly

Soldato

I'm not sure i understand the connection between controls on private data and unsolicited email and ads. If the ads are just random and untargeted and not trying to sell you something based on private information that you gave to someone else how it is a data protection issue ?

17. krooton

Caporegime

A prime example of a person who has no understanding of what GDPR is, and what it does.

I don't know who told you the lie that it would stop spam.

18. swillsy

Hitman

Lol I take it you're in one of the GDPR non-jobs????? It would lead to a drop in spam as companies wouldn't be recording or sharing data unnecessarily.

19. DampCat

Capodecina

To be fair using the internet is incredibly annoying now. Do you want Cookies, gdpr, notifications, location and lord knows what else.

Especially if you have auto cookie removed or blocking so you have to deal with it literally every time.

20. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Can't be annoying as the paperclip or bonzi buddy or millions of popups back in 1995 - 2010