Feek's broken arm thread (now with plate, pins and screws x-ray, staples/wound and tongue surgery)

Soldato
I’ve seen the consultant and I have to have surgery on my shoulder. I asked how many fractures there are and he stopped counting at eight. He described it as totally shattered and a ‘mush’ in there.

He said that when it’s all done, the best case scenario (one which he’d call a success) is where I can raise my arm to shoulder height.

It’s being done next Tuesday.

All the best. Hopefully the consultant is cautiously setting low expectations.

You just reminded me of my taid (Welsh grandfather, on my father's side). He was a quarry blaster and was hit on the shoulder by a huge lump of slate that fell from the ceiling of a cavern he'd returned to check was safe after blasting. I remember when combing his hair as an old man, he'd hold the comb in his right hand but hold his wrist with his other hand to actually do the combing. He managed just fine though.

Soldato
I’ve seen the consultant and I have to have surgery on my shoulder. I asked how many fractures there are and he stopped counting at eight. He described it as totally shattered and a ‘mush’ in there.

He said that when it’s all done, the best case scenario (one which he’d call a success) is where I can raise my arm to shoulder height.

Damn, so even if it's a "success" you're going to be left with impaired usage of your arm .

Shouldn't affect your cycling, I hope.

Soldato

Eek! Still, the surgeon can do something, so here's hoping for a good recovery.

Man of Honour

Well it's a good thing that they're getting the surgery done asap. I hope the surgeon is low balling the best case.

Best wishes Feek.

Commissario
OP
Damn, so even if it's a "success" you're going to be left with impaired usage of your arm .

Shouldn't affect your cycling, I hope.
Yup, that’s the bottom line.

I don’t cycle much, haven’t been on the bike at all this year but this shouldn’t affect my walking.

I do feel that I should probably sell my bowling balls though.

Soldato
^ Not necessarily true.

The Gustillo classification describes the extent of soft tissue damage an injury only of open fractures. This doesn't define the extent to which the bone fracture fragments will heal and successfully unite. The degree of soft tissue damage is not dependent on whether the fracture is closed or open neither. All fractures cause soft tissue injury to some extent.

As for judging the severity of a fracture purely on an Xray, can't t be done. Far too many variables and also depends on how we define severity. Will it allow him to regain full function...I hope so but probably unlikely. In someone relatively young and active where it will affect their daily life, I'd call that pretty nasty. In an 80 year old bed bound patient, less so. Is it limb or life threatening, no. As for severe fractures having worked in a level 3 trauma centre in orthopedics I could describe much more horrific and 'severe' injuries of course but there are far too many variables just to say its not severe.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yikes. Thats the trouble with busted bones still can't move my left thumb down by 90 degrees more like 45 and still have twinges of pain if I try and stretch it in use even after all these years. At least when its pinned it should stop the pain where the bits moved around previously.

Soldato
Hope it goes ok Feek. It took me a while to get over mine when I did it and was told I would have limitations but tbh other than a bit of aching now and again it’s not stopped me doing anything.

Commissario
A 'very bad break' is a gustilo II or III open fracture that takes 18 months to achieve union, with multiple infections and comorbidities.

You'll be fine, though I'm sure in your mind it seems like a big deal.
In his mind it's a big deal? Yeh right, do me a favour and shut up.

Commissario
OP
Surgery tomorrow and I have to say that I'm a bit nervous. The last time I had a general anaesthetic was about thirty five years ago when I had an ingrowing toenail removed.

Latest bruise picture.
HCp5ZXF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom