Feek's Friday Beer, gin (and whatever you happen to be drinking on a Friday night) Thread

Soldato
Currently drinking Sipsmith + Fever Tree with some lemon.

Lovely.

Was recently on holiday and had an unknown gin with nordic blue tonic. I don't know if it was the mental affect of the colour of the tonic, or the mediterranean setting but it tasted bloody lovely.

Commissario
OP
Sipsmith is a nice drop.

Berliner Brandstifter. I first got a bottle of this from an airport in Berlin last year, finished it quite quickly and my sister got me another bottle a couple of months ago. It's vanishing rapidly!

This is one of my favourite gins. It's very earthy and has a very distinctive taste, almost floral and sweet but not overpowering. I love it.

QlcGZN2.jpeg[img]

Soldato
Sipsmith is a nice drop.

Berliner Brandstifter. I first got a bottle of this from an airport in Berlin last year, finished it quite quickly and my sister got me another bottle a couple of months ago. It's vanishing rapidly!

This is one of my favourite gins. It's very earthy and has a very distinctive taste, almost floral and sweet but not overpowering. I love it.

QlcGZN2.jpeg[img]

It's my favourite gin although admittedly I haven't tried that many. I do like Hendricks occasionally and I'm happy with Gordons and Bombay Sapphire, I know they're not as fancy as the others but they're still decent to sip on a warm day.

Commissario
OP
Finally for this evening it's Blue Bottle gin.

This was the first gin I ever tried and I absolutely adore it. It's very different to the others I've had this evening and is quite a floral gin. It is a dry gin (which I like) but is just so complex and utterly unique. I can't recommend it highly enough. I go to Guernsey every year and since discovering this, I always bring a couple of bottles home.

It's a great gin to round off the evening.

a7sMVu1.jpeg

Caporegime
Not Friday but I've made myself an Empress 1908 Gin. Not really a gin drinker but was attracted to it by the colour change and it tastes quite nice...

Great for display (bottle is nice and the colour is a deep indigo) and does the party trick of changing to pink when tonic is added.

Commissario
OP
Empress 1908 Gin
I've never heard of that one. A quick google leaves me intrigued.

I had a very enjoyable afternoon yesterday watching the cricket with a few beers. It wasn't Friday and I can't remember what they were but it was a good afternoon.

VkTSJjx.jpeg

The batsman went for it in the final over and got 6,6,6,6,2,6

Soldato
I really want to try some of these darker beers but as I only tend to drink on a Friday I always go with what i know I will enjoy.

I must try harder!

There are darker beers which I don't like; Porters, Stouts etc.

Then there are the Belgian dubbels/quads, which are not quite as polarising in my opinion. You should definitely try a Westmalle Dubbel at some point, think you can buy it by the bottle at Tescos.

Over the last couple of days I've tried a few of my ones that came with my Beer52 box as well.

First up is the Kumquat & Chrysanthemum pale ale.

I actually quite liked this one. I'll give it 6.5/10. Flavour was nice, pretty weak alcohol content though.

wuq8KoLh.jpg

Next is the Lime & Coriander wit bier.

6/10. I preferred the one above.

hpgkfXgh.jpg

Lastly is the New England IPA with Yuzu.

6/10 again here, I'd not go out of my way to buy this, but it was decent enough.

CsgZcQGh.jpg

Permabanned
I've not tried many gins and only recently discovered that I like it. Tonic, that's why I think I didn't like it before, I hate tonic but, with a bit of soda and lime it's delicious.
ASDA make their own Extra Special gin and I love it.

5054070236086-T1.jpg

Any one else tried it?

Associate
Managed to pick up a bottle in Tesco and as its 7% its quite strong I decided to crack this one open first. Took an age to pour!!

Cr5OKer.jpg

Am enjoying it can definitely get a bananary flavour from it, its a lot heavier than I am use to but I could see myself buying it again.

Edit: taking me a lot longer to drink than my normal choices so could see this been a good choice when I only want a single beer of an evening

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to pick up a bottle in Tesco and as its 7% its quite strong I decided to crack this one open first. Took an age to pour!!

Am enjoying it can definitely get a bananary flavour from it, its a lot heavier than I am use to but I could see myself buying it again.

Edit: taking me a lot longer to drink than my normal choices so could see this been a good choice when I only want a single beer of an evening

Good stuff glad you liked it! :D

A purest would say you're pouring into totally the wrong style of glass though, if drinking such things regularly then a challice style glass is recommended (the Westmalle one is very good quality but should be hand washed).

Unlike most of the beers we get here, you do want a bit of a head on the beer, 2-3 fingers is considered normal if you are ever buying these types of beers from a proper Belgian bar.

I agree with you that it's not something you can down quickly as it's heavier, but likewise think it's great if you want to really enjoy drinking it, and don't want to drink too much :cool:

Back
Top Bottom