Feel Three Virtual Reality Simulator

Associate
As cool as it would be to play VR in a full sim rig like this, my office space is barely a 2m square so I don't think there's a chance of me fitting this into my room.
I think I could just about get it into the middle of my lounge but then there's the issue of not being able to put it away...

Soldato
I've been looking at full on motion rigs for the same amount of money. Four grand for what you get with the Yawvr seems to pale in comparison to some of the Dof Reality stuff.

Soldato
yawvr does look a bit jippy and cheap for what ur paying,
the engineering for that small form factor is obviously great...
but for a grand extra you get a feel three and can slowly upgrade it

I've been looking at full on motion rigs for the same amount of money. Four grand for what you get with the Yawvr seems to pale in comparison to some of the Dof Reality stuff.

Soldato
They seem to only want 2 grand for one of these now (the YawVR)

I don't see it as being much cop for racing, but for other stuff like squadrons and no mans sky, flight based games it'd be great i think.

Soldato
They seem to only want 2 grand for one of these now (the YawVR)

I don't see it as being much cop for racing, but for other stuff like squadrons and no mans sky, flight based games it'd be great i think.

Definitely more suited to flying type games I'd agree.

Probably passable for driving games if you add a decent sized transducer to get road bumps etc passed through, but i's not going to compete with something that can actually bounce you around over bumps and lumps like an SFX-100.

From what I can figure out, the best general purpose motion rig that can do a bit of everything reasonably well in VR is going to be a combination of G-seat, SFX-100 style motion with 4 actuators, and transducers... that's my long term plan for my rig now.

Soldato
Definitely more suited to flying type games I'd agree.

Probably passable for driving games if you add a decent sized transducer to get road bumps etc passed through, but i's not going to compete with something that can actually bounce you around over bumps and lumps like an SFX-100.

From what I can figure out, the best general purpose motion rig that can do a bit of everything reasonably well in VR is going to be a combination of G-seat, SFX-100 style motion with 4 actuators, and transducers... that's my long term plan for my rig now.

even for flying games, it can't replicate the real world forces a plane would put on you, e.g. when you turn in a plane you turn to the side and pull back, it pushes you in to the seat, you don't feel tipped like this would do to you

Soldato
You'd be surprised how well just being tilted works, I've spent countless hours being tilted around in airbus sims :eek:.

Our proper motion sims work on a similar fundamental basis where your brain can be fooled quite effectively with relatively limited movements - it's significantly more effective inside the closed off simulator as you have no external references, just like in VR. Obviously they can do heave and some other movements which this can't, but that's mostly useful for simulating turbulence and smashing the runway rather than simulating the feel of flying. They will primarily use tilt to simulate accelerations and aircraft controlled movements.

It does suck at doing positive and negative G-forces though... That's where a G-seat and belt tensioners would be better for simulating sustained G-forces in my opinion.

Soldato
I might go in on that depending on cost, looks like a quality build with fantastic range of motion. Can't see it costing less than the original Yaw, which already runs at a 2k dollar value.

Looks a lot like the once propositioned konix multi system, a hot ticket at the time given the popularity of motion rigged arcade games at the back end of the eighties. Kind of always been the dream to own something like that.

Soldato
Much better looking than the previous, and pretty space efficient assuming that foot pedal extension is easy to remove.

Still definitely feel this sort of machine so more suited to flying/space than driving, I think an SFX-100 type build is better for driving games and would come in at a similar sort of cost (assuming it’s similar ballpark to previous one).

In ideal world you’d have both types!

Soldato
Zeeflyboy, you could always make one of these

I’ve been tempted, but the 6 axis machines really need a decent dedicated space for them which I don’t have.

I have however just taken delivery of a thanos motion controller, so my compact rig will be getting motion (SFX-100 style) as and when I can afford to build all the actuators.

The yaw 2 looks pretty good for what it is, definitely need a good space when using it though with how it spins around in the video they sent out to the subscribers! Nice small footprint when not in use though. Will be interesting to see what the price point is when it launches... the advantage of their way of doing things is avoiding the cost of relatively expensive linear actuators.

Soldato
I’ve been tempted, but the 6 axis machines really need a decent dedicated space for them which I don’t have.

I have however just taken delivery of a thanos motion controller, so my compact rig will be getting motion (SFX-100 style) as and when I can afford to build all the actuators.

The yaw 2 looks pretty good for what it is, definitely need a good space when using it though with how it spins around in the video they sent out to the subscribers! Nice small footprint when not in use though. Will be interesting to see what the price point is when it launches... the advantage of their way of doing things is avoiding the cost of relatively expensive linear actuators.

have u got a photo of it when not in use? my main worry is the real estate used when not in use.

Soldato
Don’t have one! You can see the footprint is fairly low though from the Kickstarter images/video… you’d just need to remove the foot rest and it looks like maybe a 800x800mm footprint at most?

the way it moves all the way around though you definitely need to have some good clearance in use. I’ll be waiting for the first video of a toddler being punted out the window by it as it swings around :cry:

Back
Top Bottom