Fifth Gear

Soldato
Kroegen said:
Top gear has been around forever, unlike 5th gear.
I'd say technically, it's the other way round. Old Top Gear was going downhill without Clarkson and was killed off and passed off to Channel 5 and renamed 5th Gear. And was on Channel 5 for a good while before New Top Gear made an appearance.

Soldato
mark66 said:
They should stop trying to be like Top Gear and do what they do best; letting Tiff, Jason and VBH hoon cars for all their worth around the track.....with Vickie doing her little squealing thing (she would deffo get it in my books)

Agreed if you watched tiff in that gt40 and jason and tiff testing the audi s4 vs the older m3 in previous weeks thats what they should stick with.....as for vbh i wouldnt say no :p

Soldato
Zildjian said:
EDIT: It was really funny when the presenter saw Michael schumaker and called him 'shuuy' like they are best mates, but he doesn't actualy know him...

To be fair he 'possibly' does as Tiff Needell (the presenter) used to be an F1, but mostly Touring Car driver.

Soldato
I watched the very first episdode a couple of years ago after they canned Top Gear and that was enough to put me off it for ever.

Associate
First time I'd seen FG for ages - although I watch TG every week.

A mate of mine suggested I watch Fifth Gear, as it was based on solid car reviews, as opposed to "entertaining tripe" for a "juvenile max power audience" that TG caters for.

Sat down at the start of Fifth Gear, & prepared to be enlightened .....

"Tonight, we are going to run over a old Mercedes in a monster truck .......!"

Bloody hell I thought to myself ..... Clarkson's looking shaggable these days"

Soldato
Tesla said:
I think me and you should be car show TV presenters. Let's face it, everybody would watch it!

I can get my teeth whitened if need be.

I would watch it like i watch the UK Pimp my Ride.

I hate it so much its entertaining.

Fox would be westwood.

Soldato
In agreement with the OP here. 5th Gear is risible beyond belief. I can't believe I actually waited the full 50mins to see the 599 article - amazing car though, looks brilliant on the move. The problem with VBH is she tries far too hard and ends up looking like an utter fool. All the screaming, crying, giggling rubbish makes her appear like an imbecile, not a motor journalist. The majority of the reports done by the big bloke are borderline silly and 4/5ths patronising and for the most of the show you truely sit there thinking that the FG producers really really struggled to fill that 60mins. i don't think I'll be watching it again.

On the other hand, TG is genuinely funny. It gets me laughing out loud at points and you've got to admire the photography, editing and soundtrack. The articles are (as much as possible) down-to-earth which is pretty incredible since they're more often than not driving cars we can only dream of!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm in the minority here, I actually prefer 5th Gear to Top Gear, imo, the TG team are too wrapped up in their own self importance (especially Clarkson) and for me it spoils an otherwise good show.

Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
imo, the TG team are too wrapped up in their own self importance (especially Clarkson) and for me it spoils an otherwise good show.
Couldn't agree less tbh, but life would be boring if we all agreed! Clarkson is Clarkson is Clarkson. He's been the same person for as long as he's been in broadcasting. Richard Hammond and James May come across as some of the most natural presenters I seen on TV for years. They've none of the pretence of the majority of idiots that find their way onto television these days. The presenters make the show for me.

Associate
At the end of the day, I like to be entertained, and Top Gear is entertaining.

Last nights Fifth Gear had me yawning, and as much as I have thought about it, I feel that something is very wrong when they devote half of a one hour show, attempting to kill an old Mercedes in some pretty innane ways.

Where FG use a baseball bat on the Merc, TG use colourful methods, like explosives and a block of flats. (Toyota pick up).

At least when TG did the number on the pickup, there was a reason of sorts.

The reasoning behind the Merc - that was pretty much lost on me.

Soldato
poltergeist666 said:
The reasoning behind the Merc - that was pretty much lost on me.
Me too. Why was she hitting it with a baseball bat? What was that going to prove other than she can squeal lots, dance about a bit and shout 'sorry baby' over and over. It's not in any way going to stop the car running or prove/disprove Merc reliabilty so why bother? Crap tele tbh.

Back
Top Bottom