1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File splitter?

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by Kol, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Kol

Capodecina

Hi guys,

I have a video I've finished editing and I would like to play it back on the TV using my PS3. The problem is it's just over the file size that I can fit on the external drive when using FAT32 (which has a 4GB limit and is the only file format the PS3 can see - no HFS+ support :( ) ...

Anyway, I've been told I can split the file up and can find plenty of Windows products but nothing for OSX.

If there isn't anything I'll just do it again when I'm back at work as I totally forgot when exporting it about the PS3 only supporting FAT32 ... grrrr!! If there is, awesome, if not then I guess it can wait until tomorrow evening :(

Cheers!

2. Kawolski

Mobster

What about streaming it with PS3 Media Server or Medialink?

Last edited: 20 Oct 2009
  3. Spyhop

Soldato

You can split files with the split program in Terminal. But I presume you want each part to be a well formed video file?

4. Kawolski

Mobster

Alternatively you could import the original video file into MPEG STREAMCLIP (which is free) and it will easily let you select in and out points for you to export 2 halfs or however you want to split it. And still keep the original.

5. Kol

Capodecina

Thanks for the options guys! Most grateful. I did consider PS3 Media Server as I use that but the bit rate is ridiculous and even over gigabit it struggled.

I'll try and sort it now I'm back at work but for future reference will use mpeg streamclip. Wush, yea, I was after well formed video parts :)