*** Final Fantasy XIII ***

Soldato
:confused::confused::confused:

FFXII was fantastic. I can only imagine this game will be more in keeping with the ff12 style, and battle system rather than the older ff's.

It's not, the battle system is kind of a hybrid between the 2, as in visable monsters but an instanced battle area.

FFXII was OK, what killed it for me well and truly was the aweful characters (besides Balthier and Vaash), battle seemed to revolve soley around status effects and the plot for half the game didn't seem to be going anywhere.

The game itself was OK, it's just they went overboard with making changes and I think they messed it up a bit and as I said, I really did hate the characters, Vaan was a complete idiot with literaly no redeeming features, Penelo and whats her name princess chick were both stuck up cows, Fran was alright but a/ her voice was annoying and b/ she was kinda dull..., and don't get me started on that bloody kid who follows you around all the time, the one who looks about 12 but acts like the 2nd coming of christ.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ye, the battle system in this is the best of both imo.

Visible enemies, instanced fighting areas. The actual battle system itself is far more like the older titles than FFXII, but its faster paced.

Might have to get a hold of that limited edition PS3 as well to go with my Halo3 edition 360 (which is actualy an elite, I just swapped the casing )

It's a Japan exclusive I think :(

Soldato
Seeing as we don't know how many discs the Xbox 360 version will have, makes you wonder if it will be similar should this game ever be released for the PC. Otherwise I would love to see how well a Crystal Tools engine game could run on the PC. I sometimes think perhaps The Last Remnant should have used it instead of the Unreal 3 engine. It could have been a good and early test for Square-Enix.

Last i heard is that they was trying for 3, so it may end up 4 but more likely to be on 3.

Associate
FF12 wasn't about the characters. If that's what you thought, then you missed the point. It was about creating an epic story. And before you say a good story needs good characters read "foundation and empire" by issac asimov. Epic sci fi storyline but quite forgettable characters.

I can understand why it may not have been to your tastes. But calling it a terrible game is a pretty preposterous claim. Even more so as It received a metacritic score of 92.

The battle system seems interesting, but I try to refrain from reading to much into releases like this just get overly excited and then remember it's another 3-6months till i can play the dam thing!

Associate
Just been watching the new video thats gone up on the PSN.

Let me start by saying that I really like the look of this game and I have been waiting for it since I finished FF12. I am a big FF fan and there is no game that I want more than FF13.

But... I can't help but think that some of the voices are just wrong. The English voices for Snow and Lightning are just annoying, you start to get a feel for the characters as you watch them in the videos but those two voices just don't gel for me.

I am not sure if it's because I have seen all the trailers in both the ENG and JPN format, but I am preferring the voices of the JPN characters a lot more. I am hoping that they have subtitles when they release in Japan, because if they do I will definitely be importing it this December. :cool:

Soldato
Game looks great, I haven't played a Final Fantasy game properly since FF7 (Only played a small bit of 8/10 since). The combat system looks really cool too.

The story however, looks to much like a soppy soap drama (as another user posted on the trailers website). It looks like the story background has been taken to seriously... When the girl is crying in the beginning, its pathetic and makes me consider if the game is worth buying or not.

I don't see as much "fantasy" as I did playing though FF5, 6 or 7. More like an episode of Neighbours.

Soldato
I remember as a young lad every month I'd eagerly buy Official Playstation Magazine to find out if FFVIII had a release date. It really did feel like ages.
Lol I remember the same thing. I used to get really excited when there was any information at all on the game.

There was a large interview with some developers in one months issue, it had the whole middle section of the magazine to itself with huge pictures. I remember one of the devs say the whole focus of the game was built around "love" between the characters or something like that :p

Ahhh those innocent days where great. I just hope FFXIII doesn't suffer the same fate as FFXII and focuses more on the actual characters and makes you actually care for them.

I haven't got a PS3 (I dont plan to get one either) so I'm hoping the 360 version wont have too much of a delay.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this game would be the only reason for me to buy a PS3.

It's 360 aswell? I've had a 360 just an excuse to get a PS3. :p

Yep it's on the 360 too :p
Will end up getting it on the PS3 though :D Can't wait for this one. It's the one game on either platform that I actually am looking forward to.

Back
Top Bottom