*** Final Fantasy XIII ***

Soldato
Dont know if anyone knows but:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6239986.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

The Leona Lewis track My Hands is going to be the theme song. This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0_mNC5FQ8

I cant tell if its going to be for all versions or just the US/EU version. I couldn't really understand the Japanese guys' English in the interview.

If it is just the western version, then I'm praying that the JP version has English subs. I love the slightly cheesy Japanese ballads in Final Fantasy, it adds to the overall charm.

EDIT: My Hands will only be on US/EU versions, not the Japanese version which has 2 themes made for the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
All of the EU versions have had english songs instead of the japanese ones?
I'm not sure what you mean.

All songs on previous Final Fantasy's have been Japanese songs made for the game. Some of them were "translated" lyrics to English for the US/EU market. This time however the US/EU versions will have a track copied and pasted from Leona Lewis' new album which basically doesn't have anything to do with the game or its creation.

Its a marketing ploy to try and appeal to more westerners.

Soldato
I already posted this before.

And yes it's only just the Western releases that will have the Leona Lewis song.

Some of the previous Final Fantasy's were or had English versions, but at least they were English lyrical versions of the original song. FFX-2's "Real Emotion" and "1000 Words" was the only exception as it was originally by Koda Kumi in Japanese but by an American, Jade Villalon, in English.

Soldato
OP
All songs on previous Final Fantasy's have been Japanese songs made for the game.

True.

The Japanese song this time isn't made for the game either though, its a japanese pop song same as we're getting a western pop song.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Yep it's on the 360 too :p
Will end up getting it on the PS3 though :D Can't wait for this one. It's the one game on either platform that I actually am looking forward to.

I'm going to get a PS3 just for the VERSUS version to be honest! Have a 360 but it just wont be the same and VERSUS isnt being released on it :(

Soldato
True.

The Japanese song this time isn't made for the game either though, its a japanese pop song same as we're getting a western pop song.

Actually the main Japanese song is made for the game as it is composed by Masashi Hamauzu, who will be scoring FFXIII's soundtrack. Just like Nobuo Uematsu composed the main vocal theme songs for VIII, IX, X and XII. X-2's theme song, Real Emotion, was really the only actual pop song used.

Associate
Tbh since it got announced I've listened to the leona lewis song quite a few times, and it actually fits quite well with the theme of FF XIII.

On the other hand Kimi Ga Iru Kara (which is the japanese theme song done by Sayuri Sugawara) is actually relatively mediocre. And before all this the FF XIII theme was getting absolutely slated by the FF community.

It's funny to see how as soon as the Western Japanophiles get told they aren't getting a crappy Japanese song in their version, they do a u turn and start saying that a Western song shouldn't be used.

In my opinion it just goes to show how far games have come, they used to be something that was very specific in their target audience but now they have become an extremely mainstream media. Using a song like my hands reinforces that as Squarenix have picked up on the fact that Leona Lewis is HUGE in the US and EU atm.

It also opens up other possibilities, my G/F loves watching me play games but sometimes cannot relate to anything within longer JRPG's like FF, Lost Odyssey etc, so by putting in a song like this at least my g/f will have something to relate to within the game.

So I think my overall conclusion to this is, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all! :p

Last edited:
Associate
EDIT: My Hands will only be on US/EU versions, not the Japanese version which has 2 themes made for the game.

For this reason, roll on FFXIII International.

edit - I've just listened to the first 35 seconds of the song on Youtube (I couldn't manage any longer). I'm very *very* disappointed with SE's choice. At least I can just hit mute at that part of the game I suppose.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
XII's music was weak as well, I can't remember a single song except the Theme of the Empire :(

The theme song is a minor part of the game at least, the other music seems to be good from what little we've seen.

Every single aspect of Versus XIII shown so far is perfect though, including the music, it seems so good, I hope it lives up to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with XII was the music being a lot more like background noise, rather than a mood setter. Imo they ballsed up by not having some sort of battle theme. Force Your Way (FF8) used to get me pumped up.

Soldato
On the other hand Kimi Ga Iru Kara (which is the japanese theme song done by Sayuri Sugawara) is actually relatively mediocre. And before all this the FF XIII theme was getting absolutely slated by the FF community.

It's funny to see how as soon as the Western Japanophiles get told they aren't getting a crappy Japanese song in their version, they do a u turn and start saying that a Western song shouldn't be used.
You don't have to be a "Western Japanophile" to notice the absolute difference in musicial style that the two songs have i.e. the actual music without the vocals.

"My Hands" just does not fit the mood at all, maybe for an Ending Credits song, but not if it was used in an emotional scene which "Kimi Ga Iru Kara is" pretty much fit for. Afterall it was made specifically and composed by the man behind the overall soundtrack for the game.

XII's music was weak as well, I can't remember a single song except the Theme of the Empire :(
I quite liked FFXII's soundtrack. It may not have that classic Uematsu Final Fantasy feel, but I think it's pretty decent on it's own right. But then I am pretty much used to Hitoshi Sakimoto's style.

Soldato
The problem with XII was the music being a lot more like background noise, rather than a mood setter. Imo they ballsed up by not having some sort of battle theme. Force Your Way (FF8) used to get me pumped up.

When it came to fighting actual monsters and stuff when out and about in the different landcapes, it probably would have been better if the music was dynamic to go along with it. Still I quite liked the final boss music, "Battle For Freedom" and the "Esper" track.

For example, the Nintendo DS game, FFXII: Revenant Wings, basically just uses the same music abiet in awesome DS Midi form, but adds a bit of dynamic into it. The "Giza Plains" track is a pretty good example for this.

Soldato
If they had to use a new Leona Lewis song for this game, then after listening to her album, surely "Alive" would be a bit more fitting judging by the game trailers and what we know of the story so far.

Leona Lewis - Alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1wHR7l__s

If you listen to the lyrics, it matches the story perfectly in my opinion. "My Hands" just doesn't match at all. Singing about getting out of bed and putting makeup on... it just seems so randomly "copy and paste" :confused:

Come March, Leona will be releasing "My Hands" as a new single in conjunction with the game no doubt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom