1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Spec Check (Yawn ! :D)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Andelusion, 1 Feb 2006.

1. Andelusion

Capodecina

Hey all, this isn't for me it's for a bud who's just about to order a new computer.

He's building it for games basically and doesn't want to spend much more than what the spec amounts to (about £800 afaik).

I've checked it over for him and it looks fine to be but i've been a bit out of touch with the latest hardware really so want some more knowledgeable people to give it the OK ;)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939 1MB Inc HSF

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

Ram: G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit (F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ) (MY-008-GS)

GFX:Gigabyte GeForce 7800 GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) & Quake 4 Bundle

HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250gb SATA150 WD 2500JD

DVDRW: NEC ND4551GEN

Case: Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Black Aluminium Midi-Tower Case (No PSU) (CA-054-LL)

PSU: Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Black UV (CA-005-HP)

Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech UltraX™ Media Desktop - OEM (KB-065-LG)

He's buying everything from here besides the Mobo, HDD, CPU, DVDRW.

Is everything going to work together fine? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. kbc

Wise Guy

Looks fine to me, but he could go with a DFI motherboard for better overclocking capabilities with the 3700+, as that CPU can clock pretty well. :) Also, why not check out the already cheap SATA-II 250GB WD as opposed to the one you have listed, it has 16MB cache too. :) Other than that, it looks fine to me.

3. Lakeland

Soldato

id swap the board for this epox one. everything else looks fine to me

Epox EP-9NPA+ nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-030-EP)

4. Webzta

Wise Guy

The other gskill kit is cheaper and will run pc4000 at better timings than cas 3.0, if you're even overclocking.

5. Dace

Wise Guy

That looks like a very good setup.

Two minor things (both already picked up on above):

*Consider the G Skill ZX and running it on a divider.
    *Consider altering the motherboard to an Epox, Asus or MSI just for a few more overclocking options (provided the Ultra 9 is the cheap S939 board, my housemate has one and its not suited to overclocking at all).

6. Andelusion

Capodecina

Thanks guys ;)

I forgot to mention (doh) that he's not into overclocking, the Gigabyte board he's specced is only about £70 I think, I originally suggested to him the DFI one but as it's much more expensive and he's not into overclocking I said it wouldn't be for him.

Is this a decent board for a non overclocking user? I don't think he's going to want to spend more than £100 on the motherboard as he's spending a lot altogether already.

And this stuff: G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 (2x1GB) CAS2 Dual Channel Kit (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) (MY-007-GS)

...same as mobo really, is this going to be worth the £6 extra (lol) if he's not overclocking? Is it generally better memory?

Thanks guys :)

7. kbc

Wise Guy

I think you've said it yourself, if he's not overclocking, he doesn't need the PC4000 high frequency stuff. He's better off with PC3200 RAM at stock and tighter timings. It's £6.00 well spent, and if he does take the plunge for overclocking - then these are a good set aswell. :)

8. Andelusion

Capodecina

Okay thanks everyone, he's gone for the PC3200 mem and Epox board, i'm seriously jealous of him :D

Oh well when i upgrade in a few months and his system's out of date i'll be pwning then :p :rolleyes:

Ta.