Finally: andi's new car! (56k) - now with updated pics

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Liverpool-Lad said:
Well considering 2wd engines have around 25-30% loss its pretty much expected.

From all the results I've seen 15-20% is more like the figure for 2wd cars. My car loses just over 17% (see graph in my sig).

25-30% is about right for 4wd, my scooby lost about 100bhp through the tranny, which was 29% of the flywheel figure (346bhp).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Zip said:
Why do you fail to understand the choice of car :confused:

Its not a WRX but its still a bloody good car

As other people have posted, the sport has all the downsides of an impreza which you put up with because they are so awsome to drive, but without being awesome to drive. Dont get me wrong and think that i dislike impreza's, i actually drove an old 300bhp WRX as a daily runner for a good couple of months a while back, ive wanted one ever since but never wanted to pay the stupid insurance for them over other similar performing cars. But the trade off is the power and handling against the awful interior and rubbish ride quality. On the sport model i personally dont believe that the balance is right, and becomes just an average low rent saloon for me :)

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Nice car, nice colour.

My telly ariel points to Winter Hill.

Power/Weight arguments aside, it's a good base car to enjoy now and to do up later.

Soldato
OP
Don't want to sound like a biased owner, although I am really, but the real attraction of the Impreza is not just the power, but the handling and grip. Most Imprezas aren't really that quick in a straight line, but they sold in bucket loads and people love them because show it a back road and it'll give you an absolute whale of a time.

The Sport shares nearly all of the Turbo's chassis and handling components, so while its not quite as good, its still an absolute riot to drive quick. Some people who've owned both, rather than just looked at the specs on a website and gone "ZOMG! THATZ SLOW!", even claim the Sports more fun than the Turbo.

I freely admit that there was some 316itis going on when I bought it, and the fact its a Subaru did contribute strongly. But at the end of the day, I walk out the front door, see it parked on the drive and think "wow, thats gorgeous, and its all mine, and I cannot wait to drive it".

I don't think I'd get that with a Mondeo, or an Omega, or a 1.6 Focus, or anything else I considered. Whether they were faster or not, it'd just be a nice car. My Impreza is something special to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well said andi! I'm actually quite shocked at some of these replies regarding the performance and interior.

This forum seems to love 1.6 Foci. People recommend them night and day. I'd put my life on the Scooby Sport being quicker and having a better interior (IMO it does... the Focus interior is nasty)... not to mention the superior handling.

Oh, and what have you people learnt... bhp isn't everything.

Anyway, who pays attention to the dash when they're driving?

Soldato
but is it a performance car ;) :p lol

I do like it, I am sure it does handle amazingly due to the shared parts but I have to agree that for ME you get a scoob for the performance (starting to hate that word) which is a package of speed/power/handling which overshadows the fact that it is based on a dull saloon.

They look mean when fully kitted up (standard kit I mean not max power styling) but they are not natural beauties.

Take the power away from the equasion and the forgivness you afford it is somewhat reduced and the balance of the car upset.

However as a first car it is top bananana so enjoy it and take everyones comment as their personnel valid viewpoints that you may not agree with ;)

Soldato
OP
Yet more pics, sorry..

Last few, in a familiar location, then I'll get this thread archived..

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

As the attendace showed, the latest MM was far from succesful

And proof it's not as pampered as my neighbours think :o

Arc

Arc

Associate
Its a lovely looking car, rather nice for a first car aswell :).

Unfortunately the Sports will always attract a level of critisim due to the low power output at the wheels etc etc blah blah.

Back
Top Bottom