Finally bought a pasta roller

Soldato
So I've finally bought a pasta roller but really need some advice on the dough. There seems to be some recipes out there with egg and some without. My gut feeling says that the egg recipe sounds like it would be best for fresh pasta, but what says those who have made it before? Is there a reason one may be superior or better for filling types?

- GP

Soldato
Fresh pasta without eggs? Whaa? :confused:

100g type 00 flour + 1 egg = 1 portion.

Easy.

By the way, watch this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi5SkWXeBM

Use a wizzy thing like Jamie and you're laughing. Fresh pasta is so easy.
Was just thinking the same, pasta without egg isn't pasta.
Not really a recipe either is it. Bugs me when done chefs try to make there Mark by adding things. It's been 100g flour to 1 egg for ever.

Flour and water = noodles.

Soldato
. when you said roller, rather than machine this is what i thought of ... got one for holey denominations ~£4

46551617132_8788d391f9_m_d.jpg

pasta without egg isn't pasta.
you've got to go out of your way to find dried pasta with eggs in uk supermarkets ... with brass dies and extrusion they can glue flour+water
but, yes, eggs ... and wholwheat tastes better.

Soldato
Haven't heard of making pasta without eggs!
But yep, what everyone else has said. 100g flour + 1 egg in the mixer, beater attachment until it starts clumping, then the dough hook until it's all together.
A quick knead, cut into 3 sections then fold and roll a few times at 0 setting, then work your way up to whichever setting.
I roll mine to setting 7, flour both sides, roll it through the tagliatelle cutter, add enough flour so that it doesn't stick together.
Bring the water to boil, chuck the pasta in. Literally 1 minute later, I take it out as it's done, slightly al dente.

I'm confused because every recipe I've seen says to cook it for at least 3 minutes if not more. I think I done 5 minutes first time I made it, just soft and mushy. Next time 3 minutes, still overdone. 2 minutes, not quite. 1 minute, perfect.

Soldato
OP
So I ended up making 2 batches over the weekend of Ravioli - probably should have started with something a bit simpler but both sets were edible; Did a Crab & ricotta in a lemon butter sauce first and second batch was Chicken and Chorizo with goats cheese and ricotta in a tomato and mascapone sauce. I learned a lot between the two as the second batch came out pretty damned good even if I say so myself. Ended up doing 100g 00 flour to 1 large egg with a teeny drop of olive oil. Kneaded the dough for about 4 minutes (the second time, 1 minute the first and I don;t think that was enough to develop the Gluten, it was too crumbly) and then left to rest for half hour. Ended up rolling well - texture was very smooth and managed to get them very thin. I don't have any good pictures alas of the finished product (Excuse the mess as flour went everywhere :p)

wmrBlyX.jpg

1tU6FwH.jpg

Qvu3mEx.jpg

- GP

Soldato
Good effort! Ravioli on your first attempt is pretty brave! Reminds me we've only done it once or twice which is pretty pathetic ha!

Soldato
OP
Brave or stupid, thats a debate lol

They stayed together too - unfortunately my GF took the photo so they are smothered in sauce, the other bowl was better as they were coated (not drowning). Made loads though - a batch for 2 people we didn't manage to eat and there was a bit of waste dough. Pretty sure a recipe for 2 would make a non-filled pasta for 3 (as no waste)

- GP

Soldato
Nice, I fancy giving ravioli ago at some point. Mostly make my pasta in the bread machine so much cleaner and can be doing something else while it kneads it for me.

Soldato
OP
I bought a magixmix type blitzer - mixed and made the crumbs OK but had to smoosh it together and knead it myself. My kitchen is only small so you can see it was a bit cluttered with bowls everywhere and little space to lay it out =/

Give it a go though, Ravioli wasn't too hard, just need to make sure the filling has been chilled before spooning on to the sheets. Might do a carbonara next...

- GP

Soldato
Do you really need to knead pasta dough? I seem to recall hearing/reading that if you over-knead it it can become hard or something.. I've certainly never bothered, nor have I bothered resting the dough...

Soldato
OP
Do you really need to knead pasta dough? I seem to recall hearing/reading that if you over-knead it it can become hard or something.. I've certainly never bothered, nor have I bothered resting the dough...

There was a world of difference for me when doing these 2 batches when kneading/not kneading - saying that some people don't rest it, just a lot of the sources I have seen seem to recommend it and do it and it worked for me. I'm going to make some basic pasta tonight so i will try it without kneading/resting and I'll see. There was certainly no sign of it becoming hard etc. even when left with some flour on while I put the ravioli together. I'm sure if overworked that would happen like with most (some?) dough. Out of interest what types of pasta do you make as it could be someting like that, or maybe your recipe is slightly different to the one I used?

- GP

Soldato
I think resting is probably a good idea (although not necessary), but yeah it was just I recall reading about a danger of over-working the dough if you knead it too much -- which can somehow make it a bit hard. I dunno. I'm happy doing it exactly like Jamie says, not really working it much then putting it through the widest setting a few times until it starts looking nice and smooth :)

I like the idea you can knock out fresh pasta in 5mins flat, just a pity half my dinner guests are gluten free...

Soldato
OP
If it works then it works... I'll see how it goes tonight.
I might have to give GF pasta a go for my mum (Coeliac - proper GF allergy not a fashionable one ;) ). I think she uses Juvela mostly but its not the best...

- GP

Soldato
OP
Tried it tonight by not really kneading and not resting - I don't think the resting made much difference (although being cold helps) but the kneading did. The dough was harder to work with and less of that bounce-back type texture. Came out OK in the end but the tradeoff for me wasn't worth it. Maybe I'm doing someting different to you different to you @Scam. What flour do you use?

- GP

Soldato
...if you're bltizing it will probably make a difference to subsequent behaviour
.. I've only ever worked the eggs by hand into the middle of a mound of flour, and,
unlike short crust pastry, I blitz, would not consider it for a dough, that needs gentler handling I thought.
if you've mixed it by hand, it's already been worked and needs minimal kneeding.

Back
Top Bottom