1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally found some new wheels for the MR2

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MrSix, 21 Oct 2009.

1. MrSix

Soldato

After an exhausting search I finally found some wheels for the MR2. I was looking for a set that didn't look too different to the standard 5 spokes but had a bit more "je ne sais quoi". Something 17" with a bit of dish and OEM looking.

Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice huh?

2. rypt

Capodecina

LINGLONGS? Seriously?

3. Janesy B

Caporegime

lol Ling Long.

4. Muffin`

Caporegime

No his car is pink

but that's some awsome kurbage, bet they looked phat when they were yellow

5. GingerNinja1989

Wise Guy

Yikes!

6. Vix

Wise Guy

That type of wheel does seem to suit the MR2.

Loving the Linglongs. Get some proper tyres on the wheels and use the Linglongs as a coffee table ;)

7. MrSix

Soldato

So yeah, I know they suck and I put up the Lingylong pic just for you guys as I know how much we love them here ;)

However, these are a winter project and they are infact underneath that black powdercoat, peeling laquer and yellow spray paint some fairly lightweight Team Dynamics rims that those who saw my Golf might reckognise (although these are 17" not 16").

Once they landed at MrSix Castle I gave them a very quick rub down and shot them up with one coat of left over Halford metallic silver spray that I had lying around:

[​IMG]

This gave me a much better idea of how they'll look once finished - certainly better than before!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to send them off to get shot blasted and then I'll start the refurbing process over the next few months ready to have them on the car in the spring.

This is a very rough photoshop of how they might look once fitted:

[​IMG]

8. loltim

Capodecina

They suit the car perfectly.

9. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

Look very nice in silver. What do they weigh ?

10. MrSix

Soldato

two fronts together are 9kg, two rears are 10kg

11. NickXX

Soldato

Those will look great once fitted. Good find!

12. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Thats very light, 4.5kg for each front wheel and 5kg for each rear?

Actually thats lighter than my 15" TE37's, looking at the internet and various Team Dynamics wheel weights the only ones i can find under 6kg are 14"?

13. Berger

Capodecina

Wheels look good, very light, that including tire?

A Nexen, Linglong and a Yokohama, the previous owner must have enjoyed the wet! :o

Would have expected you to be looking at 6.5-12kg for a 17" wheel. My Compomotive MOs are just under 10kg I believe, and my previous OZ Super Turismos were just over 10kg.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
  14. gurusan

Capodecina

4.5kg wheels? How is that possible?

15. rypt

Capodecina

Only if they had a slightly less retarded profile, and were not silver

16. Clarkey

Capodecina

I thought this was a joke at first but that look pretty good when spruced up. Scales might need calibrating though ;)

17. loltim

Capodecina

Has he shopped in some AP racing calipers too:p

18. MrSix

Soldato

Yeah given the comments from others as well I'm thinking the guy who sold them to me may have diddled the scales a bit! They're certainly only a fraction heavier than my 15" standard wheels when held side by side, so I'm happy. I'll weigh them before I fit them to the car to see what they are once the 10cm of powdercoat has been removed :p

19. MrSix

Soldato

Oh yeah they cost me £150. I seem to have a thing for finding this model of wheel (which I still don't know what it is?) for cheap, the 16" for the Golf which were actually immaculate only cost me £80 with almost brand new Conti sport contact tyres! I reckon these will probably end up costing around £500 all together including purchase price, tyres and refurb.

20. MrSix

Soldato

Has anybody ever refurbished wheels themselves and painted them with rattle cans?

I'm a competant sprayer and I'm not at all concerned about the finish I will get from doing this myself, however I was wondering how well the laquers found at Halfords etc. in the cans will stand up to wheel cleaning solutions?

I don't want to take my time refurbing the wheels myself to have the laquer dissolve the next time I use my bilberry wheel cleaner or similar.

My other alternative is to have them refurbed @ £50 a corner by my local spray/body shop.