Finally found some new wheels for the MR2

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Has anybody ever refurbished wheels themselves and painted them with rattle cans?

I'm a competant sprayer and I'm not at all concerned about the finish I will get from doing this myself, however I was wondering how well the laquers found at Halfords etc. in the cans will stand up to wheel cleaning solutions?

I don't want to take my time refurbing the wheels myself to have the laquer dissolve the next time I use my bilberry wheel cleaner or similar.

My other alternative is to have them refurbed @ £50 a corner by my local spray/body shop.

I can test some bilberry on my computer case if you want. It has halfords clear on there, about 4/5 light passes.

Soldato
OP
What I don't want to do is spend 1/2 the amount on a DIY job and then have to redo them twice as often as if I had just spent more in the first place...I'm also thinking that industrial laquer used by bodyshops is going to be a damn sight harder than the stuff in Halfords tins.

Soldato
What I don't want to do is spend 1/2 the amount on a DIY job and then have to redo them twice as often as if I had just spent more in the first place...I'm also thinking that industrial laquer used by bodyshops is going to be a damn sight harder than the stuff in Halfords tins.

Correct, 2k clear is considerably more resilient, that's why they use it on cars. The 1k rattle can stuff is solvent-sensitive, UV sensitive, generally not good. 2k clear is better, but powder coating is even better still.

Associate
These were the ones on imoc right? 8J all round? Nice wheels, shame they are not staggered though.

What size tyres you going for? 205 is gonna look pretty stretched on a 8j rim

Associate
Ahhh thats a lot better then that they are staggered. Are they 7j front 8j rear? Get a good set of 205's for the front and 225's for the rear. I run falken 452's on mine and they have been great for me on the mr2.

Caporegime
Has anybody ever refurbished wheels themselves and painted them with rattle cans?

I'm a competant sprayer and I'm not at all concerned about the finish I will get from doing this myself, however I was wondering how well the laquers found at Halfords etc. in the cans will stand up to wheel cleaning solutions?

I don't want to take my time refurbing the wheels myself to have the laquer dissolve the next time I use my bilberry wheel cleaner or similar.

My other alternative is to have them refurbed @ £50 a corner by my local spray/body shop.

bilberry is all about dilution

start at about 15:1 dilution ratio

and work your way up till you get the desired cleaning effect.

Associate
BTW a good site for paints is http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/ I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. I got alloys coming out of my ears to refurb.

alloys.jpg

I got 10! Advan AVS VS5 alloys in different sizes widths and offsets. 6 in the picture and 4 currently on the car, and a set of buddy clubs in 16". I'm thinking of doing the Advans in BMW platinum bronze. Will be interesting to see how yours turn out mate. :D

Back
Top Bottom