Finally taken some pictures of my new toy

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
VERY nice motor. I have a massive respect for the Elise/Exige, regardless of whether or not I could live with one.

The question about handling is an interesting one. I personally think that it's also about balance, feel, feedback, agility, ability to deal with different road surfaces etc. What I don't think it's directly about is absolute mechanical grip. Mechanical grip is mainly to do with tyres, though layout of the weight distribution of the car affects that.
In theory you could put really shoddy tyres on an Elise and it would probably still be faster than lardy saloon around a track armed with F1s.

I guess that a good way of considering handling is the ability to exploit the mechanical grip available. Again, picture putting F1s on a Rover 800 and then trying to drive it hard, can't imagine it being that quick despite the grip available.

Associate
The_Dark_Side said:
do you think the Esprit was a bad car?
serious reliability problems but an amazing drive IMHO.

No exactly the opposite, the esprit as you say had reliability problems, but was an amazing drive, and was a SPORTS CAR, it felt like one, and it was sleek and wide enough to be one, and now well we have this, what is it ? who knows ? a fun buggy perhaps ? i would have much rather seen lotus develop a modern car similar to the esprit.

Associate
OP
There seems to be a bit of a debate kicked off here and a couple of assumptions about the Lotus Exige

Easy Ones out of the way first
1, Does the Roof Come off? YES
2, Does Taking the Roof Off invalidate the warrenty? NO ( the Owners Handbook tells you how to do it)
3, Does it Have ABS ? YES
4, Does it have Traction Control ? Mine doesn't But the 2006 car does (Switchable)
5, They all have Dodgy Reliability ? I think this could be aimed at the early S1 Elises & S1 Exiges But the new S2 variety have bullet proof engines (toyota) and a big improvment in build quality & so far so good with mine
6, THE best handling car in the world !!.
As has been stated already in this thread it is very subjective. what might be perfect for one person would not be for others, some people are comfortable with a car that is 'Loose' ie moves around a lot at the limit others not !!. I have been lucky enough to have driven a lot of high performance cars on track and on the road. and the exige is certainly a very very good handling car, I have driven cars which 'I' think have better handling

I bought this car because it suited my needs (Fun weekend & Trackday car)

Thanks for the comments guys & great discussion

Suspended
Phil Gr said:
There seems to be a bit of a debate kicked off here and a couple of assumptions about the Lotus Exige

Easy Ones out of the way first
1, Does the Roof Come off? YES
2, Does Taking the Roof Off invalidate the warrenty? NO ( the Owners Handbook tells you how to do it)
I suggest you talk to your dealer re: water ingress warranty, I asked the same question at a dealer a couple of weeks back and my previous post is passing on what I was told.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'd hate to see you lose part of your warranty :).

Back
Top Bottom