Find me: throw away car for under £1000

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Slightly different to a "spec me" thread where I'm not simply asking for suggestions but for links to actual cars :)

Criteria:
- Max cost £1k
- Capable of lasting 2 years with only simple maintenance.
- Capable of travelling up to 500miles in a day without missing a beat.
- No ****** heaters, man needs to stay warm!
- Decent brakes.
- Max power! (bottom of list due to budget)

Shoot :)

Caporegime
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274558415962

V70 D5,apparently the drivers seat heater is conveniently broken. :p

Map it if you want more oomph.

Up for £1100, damn sure he’d take a grand and it’ll suit your needs, it won’t break,500miles a doddle - and you’ll do it in comfort - the brakes are very good , you need them, the cornering is a bit boaty, straight line go is surprisingly good for a big ol’ bus whilst being very economical at the same time.

That’s how I’d sum up mine anyway!

Soldato
Seriously though, I was contemplating whether there is such a thing as an “interesting beater”. I might be increasing my mileage substantially quite soon and I don’t really want to park a 911 in Rusholme. I wonder whether £1000 would be enough to get interesting or whether a decent hot (well, warm) hatch requires a bit more dollar. I guess at this budget you buy anything with a long MOT and a bit of service history.

Associate
Saab 9-3 TID or even TTID may just squeeze into this price range. Will have most mod cons, really excellent seats and pretty reliable and cheap to maintain with mostly consumables being the biggest cost. Bonus that they still look very good and modern despite their age now.

Even better if the 500 miles per day is not a common thing or mpg is not much of a worry any version of the 2.0t B207 engines in the 9-3 Saabs are great, reliable cars, good bit of poke and will do moon miles. Even the badged 1.8t are great, a cheap remap (less than £100) and they go very well. Only thing with these Saabs is in any of the sport guise or suspension setup they are pretty firm.

EDIT: My last 3 cars have been Saab, the first was a 9-3 Aero 2005 which was fantastic until written off (£4300, 2013), last one was 9-5 Wagon 2008 which was replaced last month (£870, 2016) for my latest facelift 9-3 Vert 2008 (£1200, 2020) which will go to the Mrs when she passes test. All with 2.0 petrol engines, all cost buttons to runs and easy to maintain but I do that myself. For the money they can be had for now and performance, comfort and looks they are hard to beat at this price range.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Haha I would but:
Do not buy a 206

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274558415962

V70 D5,apparently the drivers seat heater is conveniently broken. :p

Map it if you want more oomph.

Up for £1100, damn sure he’d take a grand and it’ll suit your needs, it won’t break,500miles a doddle - and you’ll do it in comfort - the brakes are very good , you need them, the cornering is a bit boaty, straight line go is surprisingly good for a big ol’ bus whilst being very economical at the same time.

That’s how I’d sum up mine anyway!

Saab 9-3 TID or even TTID may just squeeze into this price range. Will have most mod cons, really excellent seats and pretty reliable and cheap to maintain with mostly consumables being the biggest cost. Bonus that they still look very good and modern despite their age now.

Even better if the 500 miles per day is not a common thing or mpg is not much of a worry any version of the 2.0t B207 engines in the 9-3 Saabs are great, reliable cars, good bit of poke and will do moon miles. Even the badged 1.8t are great, a cheap remap (less than £100) and they go very well. Only thing with these Saabs is in any of the sport guise or suspension setup they are pretty firm.

EDIT: My last 3 cars have been Saab, the first was a 9-3 Aero 2005 which was fantastic until written off (£4300, 2013), last one was 9-5 Wagon 2008 which was replaced last month (£870, 2016) for my latest facelift 9-3 Vert 2008 (£1200, 2020) which will go to the Mrs when she passes test. All with 2.0 petrol engines, all cost buttons to runs and easy to maintain but I do that myself. For the money they can be had for now and performance, comfort and looks they are hard to beat at this price range.
I was looking at volvos, but is an old diesel going to be less hassle than the petrol counterpart?

I learnt to drive in my dads 9000 aero so always love a good saab, but the same question applies.

Mk1 focus

Edit: Oh you wanted links. I'm out. Was just a quick throwaway suggestion :D
Good shout actually, loved my brothers - so much fun.

Not a bad shout. How about the mondy st?
Avensis? New MOT on this one and full service history.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010305612792
Wow some decent(ish) cars falling into this bracket.

Associate
Focus MK1 Petrol.

Berlingo MK1 1.4/1.6 Petrol.

Both cheapy cheapy.

Sorry to be that guy, but honestly everyone I know who has bought an old MK1 Focus thinking it'll be reliable has broken down in them constantly and ended up getting something else. 100% anecdotal but just sharing.

Back
Top Bottom