1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding an IT job is harder than you think!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShiWarrior, 12 Jul 2006.

1. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Ive been looking for about a week, i am after a job than involves building PCs

I have applied for a few jobs which haven't got me anywhere :(

I am finding it difficult to find such jobs, maybe I am looking too hard?

Even if I find a job that does training or work experience.

I can't afford to go for MCSA/MCSE

any help much appriciated

i've tried places like

jobcentre
    CVScreen
    reed

any input will be greatly appriciated

2. Luke

Soldato

Have you tried the purple shirt brigade?
    I get the impression 99% of their workforce knows nothing about computers.

3. Bitchplz

Banned

Have you tried posting CV's to the local places?

4. Chris1712

Sgarrista

I Would be that 1% then.

5. Phantom

Sgarrista

depends on your experience. are you classifying yourself as a systems engineer?

jobs adertised on sites like gojobsite require professionals with proper skills to prove theyre worth hiring. companies dont take risks on those who arent qualified.

try local pc shops theyre more into building individual PCs. larger companies will need someone who can do more than just put some PC hardware together to build a PC (You'll find practically everyone in the software/hardware industry regardless of their job can do this).

6. Luke

Soldato

I've heard about your sort, but I'm yet to experience them.

7. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

Try smaller shops too, just hand in CVs.

My mate got headhunted for a new computer shop and computer repairs while he was working in *another small electronics store*. He's only worked there about 6 weeks and he's been made store manager :\ He's only 19.

Lucky git. Smaller shops probably have a lot more responsibility and are probably more fun. Try your local computer shops to see if they're looking for anyone.

8. Scuzi

Man of Honour

It really isn't that hard. You need to be more proactive in you searching.

9. asim

Soldato

You've only been looking for a week.

10. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Thanks phantom, thats a good post, something to think about :)

11. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

nearly 2 :(

12. Ukadder

Wise Guy

I would say that 99% of people looking for a job, unless it's working at Tesco, usally look for a little longer. Some companys may have not even had time to reply yet. I would recommend to keep looking, filling application forms and if in a months time you still have no luck then goto a job agency.

Unless you have experiance, more than just "i've made a few computers for friends" then alot of places will throw your application away, leaving you with only a few who want people without experiance.

Edit: As for the title "Finding an IT job is harder than you think!" I'm going to have to say you were not realistic at finding a job, any can be hard to find unless your CV is right.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  13. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

I was looking for *any* part time job for about 2 months when I left school and went to college.

I handed out about 50 CVs, applied for pretty much anything I found at the job centre. Two months later I eventually got a phone call.

Just keep at it.

14. asim

Soldato

Its all about location. I'm in edinburgh and there is a limited number of jobs here compared to say London, I dont expect to find work for maybe a month or two. In London I'd probably expect something in less than a month. Its only been a couple weeks, dont be discouraged.

15. DJMK4

Capodecina

Its not! i came straight out of uni with a HND in PC Systems, Networks and software development.

I applied for about 10 different jobs, got a job with a respectable company as an I.T Support Analyst, it was my first interview aswel!

You wont find many jobs available for just "Building PC's" they will want more than that from you, specially the larger companies, as said, try local pc shops, but then these are hardly going to offer you decent pay unless you are looking for £5-7 an hour jobby's.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  16. Mat

Capodecina

No, no, youre just a myth, you dont actually exist. Sorry to bring that to your attention. You may now vanish from space and time. :p ;)

17. Cookie-Monster

Mobster

this makes me laugh.

if you havent found a job after 3 or 4 months then you may be able to say its hard to find a job in IT after a week its ridiculous

18. Chris1712

Sgarrista

:eek: , i suppose i'd best stop going there three times a week in a funky purple shirt then!

But yeah i agree, 85% of the people i work with have no clue whats going on, I'm just there part time between college. I absolutely pwn customers down there though, people who think they know what they're on about and come to talk to us. Yes some people come in to just blab. Actual quote...

What? just get out.

19. Scam

Capodecina

Thats what i was gonna say. Well first i was gonna say "I knew it was hard finding a job in IT because of the gazillion threads about it" then when the OP said he'd be looking for about a week, i laughed. :(

Stick at it, you'll find something. I'm currently struggling to find a temp job doing "anything" (my words to about 3 agencies) :(

20. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Wow a whole week ;)

HEADRAT