Finding an IT job is harder than you think!

Associate
from what ive seen on job sites, pretty much all IT based jobs require some form of previous experience. Unless you have some experience in the job you will find it a bit hard compared to others.

Plus youve only been looking a week, thats nothing really.

Suspended
Twas pretty easy for me - applied for a few companies before getting approached by the one Im with now - though im in networking - not PC building.

Associate
After I graduated I found it really difficult to find a job without any relevant experience (relevent being the keyword, I had a years work as a software tester but there were no jobs) I managed to get a Web Development job almost a year after i graduated.

As others have said it's all about experience and you need to find someone who is prepared to take a risk and give you a chance. Now I have a couple of years behind me i was able to move to Dublin and find another Web Development job in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is certainly going to take some time securing a job. The only thing I can see that is probably getting in your way, is the quality of your CV.

Don't be surprised if it takes a few months to get something. According to our University, majority of students find a graduate role within 6 months. However, a graduate position are very different.

Do you have a copy of your cv?

Sem

Sem

Soldato
im having trouble finding work as well

a lot of places want experience but how can you get experience if you cant work :rolleyes:

:mad:

Una

Una

Associate
Its really not that hard.. I applied to 5 jobs for this summer, got asked for interviews for 4 of them. I think it depends greatly where you are in the country. Seems to be a fair amount looking for IT workers up here (Cumbria), they just dont tend to advaratise a lot, mainly word of mouth. Just keep trying :)

Soldato
emailiscrap said:
Have you tried the purple shirt brigade?
I get the impression 99% of their workforce knows nothing about computers.
abit like currys.digital (dixons) and other bog retail PC shops...
i went in and asked for a hard drive and this guy took me to the SD memory etc... lmao

Soldato
blighter said:
abit like currys.digital (dixons) and other bog retail PC shops...
i went in and asked for a hard drive and this guy took me to the SD memory etc... lmao

I can never understand this, why do people here always take the **** of the PC *****. Why are you in there anyway? If you know so much why not just get it off the web and if your only going in to get something small just walk to the correct section pick it up, pay for it and walk out. Why must you ask questions or even take the **** out of some employee? Would you like it if someone came up to you in your job that knew more and started to take the **** out of you?

Soldato
ShiWarrior said:

Erm even with a computer science degree it took me 9 months to find a proper IT job. Try the local agencies see if they can get you into an IT company at a junior level. Its far easier to move to a decent job with little experience once you have a foot in the door.

Soldato
teaboy5 said:
I can never understand this, why do people here always take the **** of the PC *****. Why are you in there anyway? If you know so much why not just get it off the web and if your only going in to get something small just walk to the correct section pick it up, pay for it and walk out. Why must you ask questions or even take the **** out of some employee? Would you like it if someone came up to you in your job that knew more and started to take the **** out of you?

Thankyou, proberly the only post where someones actually got it 100% right about purpleworld and thats coming from a purpleworld techy ;)

I could talk for hours about my job at Purpleword and how I really see customers, its ironic since I feel 90% of our customers are just walking monkeys with wallets.

To get back on topic, its hard to get an building PC type job, took me like 5 years to get my job in purpleworld as an engineer and well it was good but contracts changed and its no longer a technicians post id say... regardless id suggest u try your own biz, or try another I.T area....

Soldato
had my interview for an it technician job today, going to hear back from it tomorow :D not sure why im posting this just feel both excited and nervous, feel it went ok, so im hopefull :D

Soldato
IT jobs arnt hard to find but the unfortuante thing is that a lot of newcommers to the industry have little or no comemrical experience.

You could well have worked with Pc's for 20 years but if you have no evidence of this then most applications will rejected without being read. Its a cruel world.

If youve spent four years at university doing a computer science degree your chances are just as bad.

ShiWarrior said:
Ive been looking for about a week, i am after a job than involves building PCs

I have applied for a few jobs which haven't got me anywhere :(

I am finding it difficult to find such jobs, maybe I am looking too hard?

Even if I find a job that does training or work experience.

I can't afford to go for MCSA/MCSE

any help much appriciated

i've tried places like

jobcentre
CVScreen
reed

any input will be greatly appriciated

1 whole week (nearly 2 I know ;))

I doubt you can find many jobs in a week let alone in a saturated industry like IT.

Thinking back it took me a month or so to get a Job at tesco's. My second job took me another month or so. and my third job (my current one) was offerd to me 3 months after I took the second one (I applied at the same time).

The only way you can stand any chance of getting a job is to mail your CV and letter of application to every IT company you can find in your area (and possibly nationally). You may still only get 4 interviews a month. (this is why you should be applying to supermarkets too if you do not laready have a Job). of these interviews do not be to expectant. They may find a better candidtate for the job. I have interviewed candidtates that were excellent but not suited for the line of work i am in. Once a month you should start the whole mailing process over. resending your CV and letter of application to all companies that have not replied negitively to you plus any new companies.

Assuming you are unemployed
Getting a job at tescos (or another store) in the mean time will give customer facing experience, some money to spend, help cover the cost of stamps and give you something else to add to your CV

Edit:

Are there many companies that still build their own PCs? Most major corporations lease their equipment from the brand name manufacturers, and have support agreements with them. The only companies in my area that deal with computers are small family run businesses and the purple shirt brigade.

I would look at network administration, or System administrator roles if I were you (you might need to start on a help desk and work up)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking for a .NET development job, but within a relativly small area of the country. There seem to be quite a few jobs around, so i should find something eventually, but i don't think it'll be a quick process! Though i did do a placement year at uni which helps quite a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom