Finding an IT job is harder than you think!

Soldato
If you want to do some training get yourself a Career Development Loan. IIRC you can borrow up to 8k. A lot of courses will assist you with getting the loan. The training company i went with helped a lot, even talking to the bank on my behalf.

Suspended
arhhhhh the joy of getting my placement year whilst at uni. Some actual work experience in a relevent field before I go and find a job after uni

Soldato
teaboy5 said:
I can never understand this, why do people here always take the **** of the PC *****. Why are you in there anyway? If you know so much why not just get it off the web and if your only going in to get something small just walk to the correct section pick it up, pay for it and walk out. Why must you ask questions or even take the **** out of some employee? Would you like it if someone came up to you in your job that knew more and started to take the **** out of you?
I always buy off the web out of preference, but sometimes you need something urgently between 6pm and 8pm. This means venturing into the store in question. It has been many years since I've needed to ask advice from any of the staff, but it is impossible to walk from one end of the store to the other without hearing at least one bit of info spouting from the mouth of an employee that is utter rot. I find it infuriating that they so frequently incorrectly advise customers, out of their own ignorance or deliberate malice.

Soldato
sorry to bring this thread back AGAIN but i thought this would be better than starting a new thread...

I GOT A JOB :D my first "proper" non supermarket job working as the 3rd I.T technician at the school i went to 2-3 years ago, been jobless for over 6months now, so chuffed to bits that i got this job :D time to get some experiance under my belt for the old CV

Soldato
Just a technician - the word engineer doesn't belong anywhere near it. Gets my goat how phone companies say they'll send an engineer round - I'm always dissapointed when some screwdriver monkey turns up :(

Suspended
Telescopi said:
Just a technician - the word engineer doesn't belong anywhere near it. Gets my goat how phone companies say they'll send an engineer round - I'm always dissapointed when some screwdriver monkey turns up :(

yeh, sorry thats the word I was looking for. An engineer knows about physics and stuff. technicians are the purple shirt brigade

Last edited:
Soldato
geeza said:
yeh, sorry thats the word I was looking for. An engineer knows about physics and stuff. technicians are the purple shirt brigade

A mechanical engineer wouldn't, quite possibly maths but not physics.

In my view an engineer is someone who creates things that didn't exist before. A technician just fixes what an engineer has created.

Someone who builds PCs is a production worker :)

Soldato
Firstly, make sure your CV is interesting. Secondly, don't give up, you'll find something eventually! I took on two staff last year who had no experience of working in an IT dept (one was from Uni, the other from a fast food chain) and both have worked out well, so there are companies out there who will give you a chance.

Associate
from leaving Uni it took 2 months for me to find a job in IT, all i could get was a firstline tech support job in Worcester (i live in birmingham)..

during those 2 months i applied for about 45 jobs, got a whopping three interviews from that.

Permabanned
I'm in the same boat.

I'd love a job building PCs or providing technical support (with training obviously) but they are so hard to find, maybe impossible without going to college first which is what I may do.

I had an interview a few months back for a place where I'd be building computers, amongst other things I wasn't so keen on but the man who gave the interview wasn't particularly nice and I got the impression he didn't like me at all, perhaps because I'm young so he just came to his own wrong conclusions about me straight away. Whenever I gave a good confident answer to a queston, I felt he'd extend it further and further trying to make me trip up until he eventually did. Wasn't surprised when I didn't get the job.

Back
Top Bottom