Finding AS Levels difficult...

Associate
im in as atm and im so glad i went to a proper college - its a great atmosphere

the only difficult lesson i have is maths - im pretty good gcse level and below maths, but the decison or discrete core really kicked the **** outta me - clawing it back on core 2 now though

we do physics coursework also :(

electronics and physics are pretty simple, photography is doss, and leaves me plany of time to revise and study for my maths - which will be better as i can actually do core 1 and 2 stuff to a level

my advice to you is to make yourself small but acheivable goals, like, do 1 of the homeworks i missed before next lesson, or look at my notes from x lesson ready for lesson y - this is what i do in maths

ALWAYS GO TO YOUR LESSONS, even if you have no work and no rpeperation, a tutor cant help you i your not there, but you can get kicked out if your not

my 2p

Associate
A levels were the toughest qualifications i have been through. i did poorly with 3 D's and an E (back when it was A levels not AS) and i did a fair amount of work

I somehow managed to get into a good department of an OK uni (UWE)through a fluke (it was an unpopular course) and ever sinse i have personally found the work a lot easier. Im now in my final year regually getting high 2:1s and 1sts, with what should be a much higher standard than A levels.

dont get me wrong a lot of this was down to personal improvement, but like the thread starter i had no real motivation in A levels i found it a poor teaching method. for me the style of study at degree level is far more rewarding and somehow comes easier to me.

the aim of this reply is not to gloat at how well im doing (honest :p ) but to say dont give up because, assuming you want to go, you may find university a more rewarding and less demoralising experience, like i did/ am :)

Associate
Failed my A levels which was enough motivation to sort myself out and now im at uni (where i got accepted unconditionally) after completing an HND and generally getting to grips with my life.

Associate
I found the step up to AS level harder than I should have I think. I got very good GCSEs, so maybe I underestimated what work needed to be done in AS, added to the fact there was a lot of 'new' material that I genuinely would have struggled a bit on anyway. My AS year got me really really down because I was struggling in all the areas I needed to be good in, but luckily it didn't slip too much. I can only echo what Blackstar said earlier in that you should let someone know of your difficulties, and also try and start a new leaf as such, set yourself targets that you must motivate yourself towards. It's all down to you to either get help with whatever you need, or to get your head down and tell yourself what you want to achieve, and do it. Good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Parents just came home from parents evening. Not impressed to say the least. My english teacher basically from my point of view slagged me off, saying i was constantly late to lessons, and that i should consider quiting the course after the year because she doubts i'll get the grades. I know that i am very rarely late to lessons, and when i am, i always apologise to all my teachers as soon as i enter the door. I can't believe how she spoke about me to my parents. They were very offended, and dont like her attitude towards me at all.

IT wasn't so bad. My mum liked my two teachers and they said i was a pleasure to teach but again i needed to push myself more in order to get a B :eek: Very suprised he even thinks its possible for me to aim that high. :)

Got asked a million questions at home. "Are you enjoying school?" "Why dont you just try harder and get upto a C grade" etc. My parents never went and stayed on at 6th form or at colllege, and they think they know how difficult it is, but i just can't say to them they dont have a ******* clue because that will just stir upon yet another debate.

I don't feel like facing my english teacher now :(

Just had to get that off my chest...

Associate
Ah i'm at a proper college, as opposed to 6th form. I'm not finding the work difficult at such, just feels like i'm going nowhere at the moment, it's actually a bit depressing, any ideas how I can actually feel like i'll achieve/be doing something? Anything at all? :)

Associate
Replicant said:
Yeah I've had my fair share of A's and B's at uni despite getting Mostly D's at GCSE and A level, weird.
But it's all relative. You've gone to a Uni at the appropriate level, and it looks like you're doing well. It's just the same when someone getting all A's at GCSE/A-Level goes to Uni and gets a 2:2. So it's not weird as such.

:)

Associate
I know exactly what yu mean, I am in the same circumstance and find the jump from gcse to AS huge, so you are not alone.I am just trying my hardest and hopefully this will pay off.Ask teachers/lecturers for help, i have, that is what they are there for.Keep at it.

Back
Top Bottom