Finding Reasonably Priced X99 Motherboards

Associate
Hi,

I recently sent off the 5820K to be repaired and looking to find a cheap X99 motherboard instead of going Coffee Lake. I'm having trouble finding hem at decent prices, lot of sellers are wanting up to £250 for an old board without warranty. I could try B Stock on OCUK nut it might not come with the I/O shield and no manufacturer's warranty. Should I just cut my losses and move platform?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I recently sent off the 5820K to be repaired and looking to find a cheap X99 motherboard instead of going Coffee Lake. I'm having trouble finding hem at decent prices, lot of sellers are wanting up to £250 for an old board without warranty. I could try B Stock on OCUK nut it might not come with the I/O shield and no manufacturer's warranty. Should I just cut my losses and move platform?

Do you have Members Market Access? They go quite regularly for under £100 on there. I’m pretty sure I have at least one ASRock X99 motherboard in the cupboard somewhere for a build that didn’t happen.

Man of Honour
IIRC all b-grade boards from OCUK come with the backplate, at minimum.
there'll be the 90-day OCUK warranty, which is more than what you'll get off the bay or GT

Man of Honour
It's not guaranteed. I've bought a few and received one with no shield. I contacted Asus though who sent me one FOC.
Oh. Interesting. I remember a thread where they stated that it would deffo come with the backplate. But that was a couple years now so things may have changed

Soldato
B grade is the best option and the IO shield isn't absolutely necessary I've run systems without. I suspect the current stocks are to clear so you may get more with them. Even the one I bought for £60 from there where the rest (same model) were £100 came with one but nothing else. Worst case I managed to find an IO shield for an MSI board on Ebay.com for $10 :)

Associate
OP
Yep, I it was an eye opener seeing the prices and I'd always prefer to get one which matches my builds colour scheme. However, at good prices would easily take something else and keep using my current system. I like the look of the Strix but it seems to hold a certain price.

Soldato
It's arrived in a retail box with all the cables, manuals and IO shield but it has been used so that answers my question if they were simply selling off old new stock. Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion. Gonna test my Ebay i7 5820K now.

*UPDATE* CPU & motherboard both installed and working fine.

Last edited:
Associate
It's arrived in a retail box with all the cables, manuals and IO shield but it has been used so that answers my question if they were simply selling off old new stock. Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion. Gonna test my Ebay i7 5820K now.

*UPDATE* CPU & motherboard both installed and working fine.

Sounds good bimbleuk now do some overclocking let see what the cpu can do

Soldato
Sounds good bimbleuk now do some overclocking let see what the cpu can do

OK spoke too soon the B grade board has an issue and is going back. Won't install or boot Windows as it just freezes but it was fine in the BIOS and flashed OK. That's going back today and another will arrive tomorrow with a Kraken X62 cooler.

Only the 2nd failure from ~30 B grade items so it's a hassle when something fails but at least I have the RMA to rely on rather than the Ebay crap shoot.

Back
Top Bottom