1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Sponsors for Charity Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vixen, 6 Jun 2010.

1. Vixen

Soldato

How do people manage to get a decent amount of sponsors when they do charity events?

I'm doing the Race for Life next weekend and so far have only managed to get my mum, my boyfriend and his mum to sponsor me :(. I've finished uni and don't have a job so seem to be relying on friends. I posted on Facebook a few days ago but got nothing, not even family! I could ask people I skate with (who I have on Facebook anyway) but I don't like going up to people with a sheet because I feel it puts them in an awkward position.

Does anyone have any suggestions so I can make some more money for Cancer Research?

2. ToastedCheese

Wise Guy

Predicament. I think in recent years, although commendable, the amount of people doing sponsored runs, walks etc. has increased exponentially. Coupled with the regular international emergencies and the resultant en masse aid fund raising I think people are fatigued - hence the low response you have had.

I think the only way realistically is to be direct and contact individuals.

3. Fusion

Capodecina

You've got to be extroverted when raising money and big yourself up- mention what you're doing at every oppportunity. It may seem "in your face" but its the best way to get results. It can be worth posting on these forums too, some warmed hearted folks here donated to one of my causes last year :)

4. meghatronic

Capodecina

Post it on OcUK.

5. Wicksta

PermaBanned

Yup this is all very true, I lose count of the amount of people doing sponsored things in recent years - I probably know about 3 people offhand doing Race for Life alone thanks to Facebook etc.

6. JaFFa

Mobster

7. Vixen

Soldato

I know what you mean about that. I did a regular sponsored walk as a teenager and it was always really easy to get sponsors because there weren't so many people doing charitable events.

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/siobhancuthbert is my donations page if anyone on here who knows me wants to sponsor me.