• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Firestrike Ultra 4K Bench.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry i keep forgetting that, I've updated my post.
Shots fired, Vega Bench battle.....come on MDplatts you're not going to let Matt take the lead that easy are you ;)

I doubt its going to be possible as his ryzen is 50MHz faster than mine and his DDR4-3200 is faster than my DDR4-2666 so the HBCC cache will be boosted too - my Vega might be running faster but the ryzen bits and ram speds takes it into the lead.

I cannot even claim he's running an unreleased driver as mine is newer for some reason unless it is unreleased but older when you look at the comparison screen - http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13386018/fs/13367387#

Would take significant spend to make any headroom - some silly priced ram and anyway he's going TR this weekend so the Ryzen will lose massively at that point.

Working away in Edinburgh for 3 days from Sunday pm so not going to have time to do anything until next weekend and probably working then too.

Soldato
I doubt its going to be possible as his ryzen is 50MHz faster than mine and his DDR4-3200 is faster than my DDR4-2666 so the HBCC cache will be boosted too - my Vega might be running faster but the ryzen bits and ram speds takes it into the lead.

I cannot even claim he's running an unreleased driver as mine is newer for some reason unless it is unreleased but older when you look at the comparison screen - http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13386018/fs/13367387#

Working away in Edinburgh for 3 days from Sunday pm so not going to have time to do anything until next weekend and probably working then too.

Come on where's your fight man ;)

My EK full cover and backplate shipped today so will tag along at the bottom of this battle, 3770k and 1600hmz ddr3 holding me back. I've still been very impressed with my graphics scores though and that's on air.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Will have to spend £400-500 to get some faster ram so might think about that but there is no fighting against an extra 8c/8t on top of what I have short of spending another £1400 or so which I don't want to spend right now.

Yes, you look like you could do with a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade - more than I do :D to go with your shiny new blocks.

That is one of the things preventing higher scores - the better IPC of the intels wins where a benchmark doesn't use more than 4 cores or so, so the slightly better IPC wins over double the cores/threads sadly - though I don't understand some of the combined scores being so low on some of the benchmarks. My RAM speed probably also has a part to play too so it might be worth doing - probably can sell the old 32GB of Corsair LPX 2666 for a reasonable price.

You never know, I might take a trip to bolton tomorrow afternoon and bash the plastic some more.

Time for bed - in the office all weekend and then train to edinburgh sunday evening...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
But vega can be well ahead on graphics, well ahead on physics but score only 1/2 the others on combined and hence the overall score is slugged. Something is slugging it and I can only presume slightly higher CPU Hz/IPC over a small number of cores.

Unless AMD can increase clockspeed and IPC for Ryzen they will not do well on the combined score.

I have the same problem using my 6950Xs when compared to other CPUs on the combined test.

Anyone like AMDMatt will also get this problem with Threadripper on the combined test.

Soldato
But vega can be well ahead on graphics, well ahead on physics but score only 1/2 the others on combined and hence the overall score is slugged. Something is slugging it and I can only presume slightly higher CPU Hz/IPC over a small number of cores.

Hence we should find a way to order by GPU score. My 1080 @ 2190 from last year, while is sitting somewhere in the middle with combined score, had the higher GPU score for a 1080, holding for almost a year.
Same would apply to my new 1080Ti Xtreme. I will probably break the GPU scores, but it will sit somewhere in the top 30-50 on overall score, because of the CPU.
(6800K atm, and still dithering between 8700K keeping the 6800K for rendering, or sell the 6800K and buy a 7900X or buy a 6950X but its price even used ain't that good)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Will have to spend £400-500 to get some faster ram so might think about that but there is no fighting against an extra 8c/8t on top of what I have short of spending another £1400 or so which I don't want to spend right now.

Yes, you look like you could do with a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade - more than I do :D to go with your shiny new blocks.

That is one of the things preventing higher scores - the better IPC of the intels wins where a benchmark doesn't use more than 4 cores or so, so the slightly better IPC wins over double the cores/threads sadly - though I don't understand some of the combined scores being so low on some of the benchmarks. My RAM speed probably also has a part to play too so it might be worth doing - probably can sell the old 32GB of Corsair LPX 2666 for a reasonable price.

You never know, I might take a trip to bolton tomorrow afternoon and bash the plastic some more.

Time for bed - in the office all weekend and then train to edinburgh sunday evening...

Decided to leave it since only real upgrade is DDR4-2666 to DDR3-3200 as the higher speed ones are not really supported/easy and its a lot of beans right now for limited benefit.

Might try to get 4.1+ out the the chip sometime with the newer bios releases might have improved things on that front.

I will wait for Ryzen2 next year for new CPU with higher clocks, much higher ipc and hopefully higher imc too - though may need a new mobo as well as ram, so a complete replacement really.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Quick and dirty first run with TR (on **** Corsair H55 AIO - will rerun once proper block arrives).

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21803199?

GPU: 1080ti @ 2025 / 5335
CPU: 1950X stock w/3466C16 ram

Total score 7448
Graphics score 7295
Physics Score 26286
Combined Score 3886

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

New run with TR (on **** Corsair H55 AIO - will rerun once proper block arrives) - wanted to sneak into the top 10. Looking forward to seeing what it cxan do on a waterblock when it's not throttling all the time!

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13470971

GPU: 1080ti @ 2050 / 5360

Total score 7695
Graphics score 7572
Physics Score 24762
Combined Score 4026

Man of Honour
OP
New run with TR (on **** Corsair H55 AIO - will rerun once proper block arrives) - wanted to sneak into the top 10. Looking forward to seeing what it cxan do on a waterblock when it's not throttling all the time!

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13470971

GPU: 1080ti @ 2050 / 5360

Total score 7695
Graphics score 7572
Physics Score 24762
Combined Score 4026

Scoreboard updated.:)

If it is possible with an AMD CPU, have you tried running with hyperthreading turned off. This could give you a higher clockspeed and possibly an improved score.:)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Scoreboard updated.:)

If it is possible with an AMD CPU, have you tried running with hyperthreading turned off. This could give you a higher clockspeed and possibly an improved score.:)
I'll try it later :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

SMT dropped score by 1000 points.

Overclocking has to wait until water block gets here.

Back
Top Bottom