FIRST 4K 144Hz G-SYNC HDR MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE - BRACE YOURSELVES!!!

Soldato
These two things don't seem to match up.

That much on a monitor and I'd expect a minimum of 5 year warranty... like most TVs in that price bracket.
TBH if spending £2000 I'd rather have a 1440p/144hz monitor and use the other £1700 left over for a really nice 55" OLED UHD TV :D

Soldato
ok so this is just crazy. There is no way in hell that the development and parts justify that price. Its like they just plucked a price out of the air or though hmmmmmm how overpriced can we actually make this thing and still sell some, lets troll everyone and put the price at over 2k.....

W*nkers

Caporegime
TBH if spending £2000 I'd rather have a 1440p/144hz monitor and use the other £1700 left over for a really nice 55" OLED UHD TV :D

Yup I did that and have zero regrets, probably the best gaming/computer decision I've ever made, well except I just went for the TV (refuse to buy any monitor as they are all crap imo and one big rip off now), it's great and the most versatile display on the market now imo

- got true HDR (and the best implementation you will get)
- got 4k
- got 120HZ @1080p (my most used mode for gaming, 1080P not an issue when you are sitting the required distance of 7/8 feet)
- true blacks even in SDR content (true blacks and an insane contrast ratio makes the biggest difference to IQ)
- less QC issues i.e. no back light bleed or glow issues to worry about
- good price + good warranty
- create a custom 21.9 res for certain games, black bars on top not much of an issue as, blacks are black and the screen size is still massive

No g/free sync but all the above+ the sheer IQ quality of OLED makes up for that, at least for my needs/wants.

Of course, size is an issue but I don't use mine as a monitor, only for gaming and media.

Man of Honour
Its like they just plucked a price out of the air or though hmmmmmm how overpriced can we actually make this thing and still sell some

I don't mind high prices if they are actually justified but from all reports these monitors are far from problem free and don't even actually do 144Hz reliably and/or without compromises... unfortunately they will almost definitely sell.

By this point it really should be possible to bring 4K 120+Hz TN panels to the market around £600-700 and IPS around £800-1000 even with G-Sync included.

Soldato
Yup I did that and have zero regrets, probably the best gaming/computer decision I've ever made, well except I just went for the TV (refuse to buy any monitor as they are all crap imo and one big rip off now), it's great and the most versatile display on the market now imo

- got true HDR (and the best implementation you will get)
- got 4k
- got 120HZ @1080p (my most used mode for gaming, 1080P not an issue when you are sitting the required distance of 7/8 feet)
- true blacks even in SDR content (true blacks and an insane contrast ratio makes the biggest difference to IQ)
- less QC issues i.e. no back light bleed or glow issues to worry about
- good price + good warranty
- create a custom 21.9 res for certain games, black bars on top not much of an issue as, blacks are black and the screen size is still massive

No g/free sync but all the above+ the sheer IQ quality of OLED makes up for that, at least for my needs/wants.

Of course, size is an issue but I don't use mine as a monitor, only for gaming and media.
I'm still using my old 60" 1080p from 2011/2012 but I want an OLED, been holding out for so long but need at least 65", seen a LG 65" for £2000 but I'm hoping to hold out another year when they go to around the £1500 mark, hopefully with freesync. Mind me asking which model did you buy? The one thing that would bother me is making sure I had screen protection on so if I leave a static image on for more than 5 minutes it'll turn the screen off, I can't get out of the habit of doing that :(

Soldato
Quite ridiculous. I’ll stick with my existing monitors!

ridiculous.jpg

Caporegime
I'm still using my old 60" 1080p from 2011/2012 but I want an OLED, been holding out for so long but need at least 65", seen a LG 65" for £2000 but I'm hoping to hold out another year when they go to around the £1500 mark, hopefully with freesync. Mind me asking which model did you buy? The one thing that would bother me is making sure I had screen protection on so if I leave a static image on for more than 5 minutes it'll turn the screen off, I can't get out of the habit of doing that :(

LG E7 55"

You could have got the 65" for £1600 on black friday with price matching and LG's £800 discount.

Since I have my setup done in a certain way, I don't need to worry too much, have a screen saver that kicks in after 5 minutes though, just in case......

Soldato
Let's be clear: I am not put off by the price. But I am put off by a lack of quality. If I'm paying top whack then I expect top performance and top quality. I hope to see that in upcoming reviews.

That would be kind of crazy - obviously there is more to it than BoM but G-Sync FPGA + HDR there is like $18 worth of electronics there.

According to Linus the difficulty was getting FALD to work with GSync.

Soldato
2 year warranty implying they have little confidence in even the medium term reliability of their product..... Poor build quality...... Cooling 'solution' that looks like its jury rigged..... Insane price..... Massive haloing and a res/refresh combo that's not particularly usable with current GPU's

Think ill stick with my Pg348q

Associate
People with the monitor agree games look great on it but it's everything else surrounding it including the price looks terrible. It probably won't help the tech progress but I hope anyone who gets one that is not pretty much perfect for this price returns it.

It seems as though these aren't ready for release but they have had to get them out and have put them out in a beta testing state.

Back
Top Bottom