First build - Component list, please advise

Associate
Hi all,
I'm looking to build my first PC which I intend to be all purpose, I want it to be good for gaming as well as editing high quality videos and streaming.

Component list:
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Mobo
Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
Corsair H100i Platinum CPU Cooler
16GB (or 32GB?) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Super GPU
Corsair RM750x Fully Modular PSU
ADATA XPG Pro m.2 SSD
2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD

I already have my peripherals which include a 4k 60Hz monitor, it's very likely I will add another 144Hz monitor for better gaming.

Could you advise me if this is a good component choice for my needs, I am aware that the CPU is a bit of an overkill but I thought I'd be the better option for me when doing video editing/streaming.

Also, should I go for 16 or 32 GB RAM?

All advice and comments are welcome, thank you in advance!

Soldato
Hello

My advice would be to replace the MSI board for a gigabyte aorus one. MSI X570 boards are not as good as the gigabyte aorus ones. If you are tempted by MSI's built-in Wi-fi, dont be. Buy a 3rd party wifi card for the gigabyte.

3600mhz ram is the best for 3rd gen Ryzen. Buy 32GB if you can afford it. Buy as much hard drive space as you can afford too as video files take up a lot of hard drive space.

3900x isn't overkill for video editing if that is your PC's main function. I'd be tempted to buy the 3950x if you are not planning to upgrade the PC to a 4th gen Ryzen, which is planned for next year AFAIK.

you could drop to a 650w PSU.

Associate
OP
Hello

My advice would be to replace the MSI board for a gigabyte aorus one. MSI X570 boards are not as good as the gigabyte aorus ones. If you are tempted by MSI's built-in Wi-fi, dont be. Buy a 3rd party wifi card for the gigabyte.

3600mhz ram is the best for 3rd gen Ryzen. Buy 32GB if you can afford it. Buy as much hard drive space as you can afford too as video files take up a lot of hard drive space.

3900x isn't overkill for video editing if that is your PC's main function. I'd be tempted to buy the 3950x if you are not planning to upgrade the PC to a 4th gen Ryzen, which is planned for next year AFAIK.

you could drop to a 650w PSU.

I see, thank you, I was always looking for WiFi built into the mobo so I don't buy an external card, but I'll take that into consideration.

I thought 3200mhz ram was enough, thank you i'll swap that out for a 3600.

How much overhead would i have with a 650w PSU, will it still be suitable if i was to upgrade components or OC anything?
ps is it worth overclocking that CPU?

Soldato
Associate
OP
Here's what I would buy, these are in stock at OCUK. The Asus is a bit more expensive than the gigabyte but has wi-fi. The superflower is the same PSU tier (A-) as the corsair & cheaper.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £340.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Overclocking = I'd watch this video.

Thank you for this. any other advice is highly appreciated.

Soldato
What about asus mobos?
CPU power circuitrys (VRM) are good in every model, but again chipset cooling is the least sense making with cooler dirctly under graphics card and bathed in its heat.
Meaning zero chances for passive cooling without fan spinning and constantly wearing itself.
Gigabyte and MSI used sense and positioned chipset cooler where it can work semi passively.

SSD prices have been going notably up, so best priced model can vary at any moment.

Back
Top Bottom