FIRST BUILD HELP!? - BEST GAMING PC FOR AROUND £2500

Associate
Hi everyone!

Hope you're doing well. I'm looking to do my first build and could really do with some of the forums amazing help and advice! :)

I'm essentially looking for the best build I can get for around £2500. Caveats:

1. Not too fussed about 4k as I don't have a 4k monitor but it could be an excuse for me to get one! I have a 144hz monitor.
2. I want it to be able to run dead quiet.
3. In a small-mid size case. I was originality looking at the NZXT H510i but I'm no expert it simply looks cool aesthetically and the right size. I just want it to be minimal to fit on my desk! I had a behemoth of a gaming PC that I bought pre-built on eBay a while back and it was not great! :)
4. Be able to smash any game I throw at it alongside handling large video files for editing if possible, as I'm a video director and editor I would love to use this as a workhorse for handling big projects/4k footage as I usually work off a MacBook Pro.
5. Not bothered at all about VR, 3D or anything like that.

I think that's everything.... thanks so much. If there's a good playlist for building on YouTube that you recommend that would be ideal too.. I have looked at loads and think I'll be alright but some guidance would be ace as it's my first time.

Cheers,

Ben

Soldato
12 core/24 thread Ryzen 3900X would work well for heavy workloads and have enough cores for any future core heavy games regardless of browsers etc on background.
Though upgrade to improved architecture Zen3 CPU would give overall longer usage life from platform.
(in two years Zen3 12 cores should be in nice discount)

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite would be X570 board with proper CPU VRM (power circuitry) and good design chipset cooler capable to passive cooling.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html

For video editing and future proofness 2x16GB memory is good.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

At least 1TB SSD is minimum.
WD Blue SN550 is £10 cheaper than faster TeamGroup MP34
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/teamgroup-mp34-1tb-nvme-pcie-m.2-solid-state-drive-hd-00b-tg.html
Sabrent Rocket would be available from good price elsewhere. (Rocket Q is step lower level tech drive)

Though 2TB drives are also available.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...80-pcie-2tb-ssd-vpn100-2tbm28h-hd-015-pa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-state-drive-cssd-f1920gbmp510-hd-066-cs.html

Looking your case choise despite of video editing I guess you aren't going to use optical drive to do Blurays etc?
Also card reader could be put into 5.25" bay:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-card-reader-incl.-usb-3.0-hub-cm-03p-ak.html

From behind door drives wouldn't show if you're after clean look:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-silent-base-600-midi-tower-case-black-ca-105-bq.html

But I'll have to go to get some rack time now...

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot for the above.. interesting.

I had a little play around myself.. any thoughts on or issues with something like this?

Comes closer to £3k but looks tasty :p

H510I MIDI TOWER
CORE I9-9900K 3.6GHZ
Z390 AORUS MASTER INTEL Z390
AORUS GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI XTREME
RMX SERIES RMX750 750W '80 PLUS GOLD'
VIPER STEEL 16GB (2X8GB) DDR
970 EVO PLUS 1TB M.2 2280

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-65j-in.html

Associate
Nope to the 9900k, not when you have the budget for a 12 core 3900 or better. The intel stuff is ... not that good, to say the least.
Do you really need the very expensive 2080ti? and all that cost with only 16gb of ram.

Naa.
I would be aiming for at least a 3900x, 32gb ram, at least 1tb of SSD (plus prob some spinning rust to act as a storage volume, say 3-8Tb) and video card wise... maybe just take a 2070super or 5700xt right now and save the money for a better card at the end of the year.
Heck push the boat out and a 16core could be in there, thats enormous grunt with good future proofing.

Soldato
Have to agree
AMD cpu all day long at this point in time a 3900x or even 3950x as you have a healthy budget
32gb of 3600mhz ram
As a long time Samsung ssd user still have to say overpriced compared to some of the competitors now
I went for mp510 M2s even better endurance than Samsung
Though there are cheaper options than that too
GPU as said possibly a 2070 super
But if set on 2080ti go for it
All the guys that are great at doing lists
Must have taken the night off lol

Associate
OP
Thanks so much guys. Big help...!! I was automatically drawn to intel as I thought/was told AMD was basically a poor mans intel so to speak...? Obviously not! I'll read up on this.

haha yeah, a list or two for a couple of different options would be exactly what I need really so I can take a look and make a decision. But all the insight is honestly really appreciated as I don't really know anything and I want to understand! So thanks once again.

Soldato
A B450 board like the Gaming Pro Carbon can handle the 3900X. You also have the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite as mentioned above if you want to step up to that chipset.

The SF Leadex III is a solid and very quiet psu.

The Team MP34 is a good NVMe SSD. The Sabrent Rocket as mentioned is good if you can find it for less than the MP34.

Case is personal pref but the P600S has removable front/top panels for max airflow.

The Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo is surprisingly powerful despite being pretty cheap.

If you don't need CUDA support then you could switch to a 5700XT like the Gigabyte Gaming OC. There are new gpu's out later this year from both Nvidia and AMD so a 2080 ti isn't a good buy.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,682.78 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot Lee. Sounds great. Love a list!

That’s amazingly under budget! Just playing Devils advocate, is there any area where I could spend a little more to get more out of it? Only if nessecary, but I want it to be killer! :)

Is it also worth getting a cheaper gpu, that can still easily handle most FPS games I play like valorant, apex etc, with the mindset to spend big later in the year as you guys have said? Maybe it’s not worth spending now? Also, what are these upcoming gpu’s to watch out for?

Thanks a million once again!

Soldato
Thanks a lot Lee. Sounds great. Love a list!

That’s amazingly under budget! Just playing Devils advocate, is there any area where I could spend a little more to get more out of it? Only if nessecary, but I want it to be killer! :)

Is it also worth getting a cheaper gpu, that can still easily handle most FPS games I play like valorant, apex etc, with the mindset to spend big later in the year as you guys have said? Maybe it’s not worth spending now? Also, what are these upcoming gpu’s to watch out for?

Thanks a million once again!

The gpu is obviously an area where you could spend more, but with new gpu's on the horizon I personally wouldn't buy a high end gpu at this point. A 2070 Super or 5700XT can handle 1080p or 1440p. Once the Nvidia 3000 series and AMD Navi cards release then you would still have money to upgrade if you wanted.

I personally prefer 1440p 165Hz or 3440 x 1440 120Hz/144Hz over 4K as you don't need as much gpu power to hit the same frame rate. Is your current monitor 1080p 144Hz ?

If you wanted a stronger motherboard then you could go with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.

Soldato
Thanks so much guys. Big help...!! I was automatically drawn to intel as I thought/was told AMD was basically a poor mans intel so to speak...? Obviously not! I'll read up on this.

haha yeah, a list or two for a couple of different options would be exactly what I need really so I can take a look and make a decision. But all the insight is honestly really appreciated as I don't really know anything and I want to understand! So thanks once again.
Until recently couldn't recommend AMD cpus
It's been a long time coming but AMD
Through using chiplet's instead of one
Monolithic core like intel
And being able to manufacture at 7nm unlike intel
And some other stuff they are now what is recommended
Yes Intel still have higher clock speed
And will give few extra frames per second at 5ghz
But if an amd cpu is already giving large fps a few extra is sort of irrelevant
The overall pc experience not just games
And of course the cost just make AMD top dog right now
It's insane you can get a 16 core desktop cpu for that money
See you got a few ideas
Hopefully you will get a few more lists tomorrow /later today

Associate
OP
Cool. Makes sense.

A couple more epic lists would be great but this is all making sense.

@Lee. Yes my monitor is 1080 144hz. But I could upgrade this with any spare cash from the budget. Stronger MB sounds good too.

Soldato
Cool. Makes sense.

A couple more epic lists would be great but this is all making sense.

@Lee. Yes my monitor is 1080 144hz. But I could upgrade this with any spare cash from the budget. Stronger MB sounds good too.
Pretty good list from lee32uk
You could have course step up to a 3950x
And 64gb of ram given you want to do video editing
Could also have several M2 drives even pcie 4.0 ones
1 M2 drive you don't notice much difference over a 2.5ssd as access times on a 2.5ssd are just so fast anyway
But if your video editing involves
Copying to /from different drives then multiple M2 will slaughter 2.5ssd
It's where to draw the line between what you want and what you actually need lol
Otherwise you will soon hit even
Your healthy budget limit lol

Associate
OP
Cool. How about this? Added a couple of questions on some parts:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,047.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
Not sure the difference between the elite and pro board so unless it actually has some features worth 60 quid
Other than rgb would stick with elite
Can add a nice rgb strip for way less
Than 60
5700xt would be cheaper
Main issue with gpus is we know both amd and nvidia have them coming
Problem is when because of covid19 having an effect on production
And will it be a paper launch with barely any available

Associate
OP
Cool, thanks. Think that all looks good for me - I'm going to go for it! I'm not sure on the differences on the aorus elite vs the pro, nothing in the description sets them apart.. just better reviews on the pro so I'll go for that. Unless you know?

A few parts a not in stock though :( Do you guys know when they'll be in? Or is it a long stock delivery time with covid?

Also, what tools do I need?! :) A few vids I've watched just say you need one Phillips screwdriver and that's it?

Thanks so much as always!

Soldato
Sorry can't remember the difference between the 2 boards
I got the ultra lol
Guess stuff is selling faster than normal they should restock though customer service part of forum is best place
To check
Phillips screwdriver does most of it magnetic one preferred
And precision Philips for the tiny M2 screws

Back
Top Bottom