First Car - Honda Civic vs. Ford Focus

Associate
So I passed my test last week after turning 23 a few months ago and deciding I'd been putting off driving for too long :)

Before this week I knew little about cars although after hour upon hour of researching and going through quite possibly every 'first car' thread on OCUK and a few other sites I see that the Focus comes highly recommended.
Mondeo also seems up there although it's unnecessarily big [read: daunting] when there's just me and the girlfriend.
A few family friends also have Honda's and swear by the reliability which is one of the most important factors for me.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction, or even recommend a few models on autotrader in the Cambridgeshire area?

-----

Budget: £3k. Prefer to go a bit lower although happy to pay even more if it will last several years to come and not cause much grief in unexpected bills. I have savings and a full time job so it's not a strict budget although I also don't fancy paying several £K more when I could end up knocking it with my inexperience.

Needs: Commuting to work, around 34 miles a day (8.2k p.a and will state 10k on insurance).

Possibilities:
Honda Civic 1.4i S - £1795
Honda Civic 1.6 i-VTEC Sport - £2995 - Probably my favourite at the moment, it just looks like it won't give me any trouble and also won't have me wanting to sell it for something better in a year or so when I feel more confident on the road.
Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - £1995
Ford Focus 1.6 ZETEC - £1690

Help?:confused:

Man of Honour
I was about to say be a human being and buy a ford focus, until I clicked the link and saw it was a MK1 focus, with that id take the civic , hate the mk1 focus

Associate
my 2nd car was a 1.6 mk1 focus. most reliable car iv owned, cheap to insuer and was reasonable on fuel. managed 470 miles on 1 tank going to surrey and back. not bad for a petrol!

Soldato
My first car was a Mk1 focus, last March after just passing my test at 24. Began losing oil like no tomorrow. It was a nice car for the couple of weeks I owned it. Got a Clio 182 instead as my 'first car'. But the Focus was my attempt at being sensible and mature.

I say get a Focus.

Soldato
I'd. Take the 1.6 sport any day. They look far better IMO plus it just won't break ( focus shouldn't really be a concern either though tbh)

Soldato
Vauxhall hate is strong on this forum, but... £2,989 Vauxhall Astra 1.6i 16V SXi 5dr

I had the 1.4 version as my first car and it was decent enough. You get loads of people saying the focus/civic is miles better but I can't imagine there's really any difference for the vast majority of the general public.

I'd just test drive a civic, focus, astra and anything else similar and decide which one I preferred.

Soldato
Ever driven one? They're absolutely horrid compared to the others.

Will do a job but for anyone who is remotely interested in driving the cooking Astra's are a waste of time

Soldato
Ever driven one? They're absolutely horrid compared to the others.

Will do a job but for anyone who is remotely interested in driving the cooking Astra's are a waste of time

I didn't think mine was horrid, it was just a completely boring standard hatchback. I've been a passenger in a few MK1 Focus's and I can't say they seemed much different to me.

Soldato
Im quite sure it would be absolutely fine as a boggo day to day hatch but for me the steering is majorly over assisted and inconsistent ( thy almost all develop an odd on/off weight issue when it gets a bit older) has no weight or feel to it at all, pedals are far too light and again have no feel plus the interior has aged terribly.

I should probably say I also personally dislike the mk1 focus as I don't think its anything like the standout over others in the class it was made out to be ( at least not at this sort of age) but it is fundamentally a good car and still capable of bringing some enjoyment even with a rubbish engine.

The Honda looks like a little type R, its 1.6 engine is slow but keen to rev and the car just generally has quite an interesting feel to it.

I just think both offer things the astra can't

Last edited:
Soldato
I forgot to say that if those are actual cars you are considering rather than just examples then I'd avoid the Focus. It looks like it has been lowered and has a modified exhaust pointless insurance increases for a new driver.

Soldato
Im quite sure it would be absolutely fine as a boggo day to day hatch but for me the steering is majorly over assisted and inconsistent ( thy almost all develop an odd on/off weight issue when it gets a bit older) has no weight or feel to it at all, pedals are far too light and again have no feel plus the interior has aged terribly.

I should probably say I also personally dislike the mk1 focus as I don't think its anything like the standout over others in the class it was made out to be ( at least not at this sort of age) but it is fundamentally a good car and still capable of bringing some enjoyment even with a rubbish engine.

The Honda looks like a little type R, its 1.6 engine is slow but keen to rev and the car just generally has quite an interesting feel to it.

I just think both offer things the astra can't

Fair enough - personally I hate the MK1 focus interior and considerably prefer the astra but that's just personal preference I guess.

Out of his list I agree with you - I'd choose the Civic as well, I just think that there's so little between the majority of cars in this class that he should drive all of them and see which he prefers.

Back
Top Bottom