First Custom Loop with a 3080FE

Associate
I have been thinking about doing a custom lop for a while and started to get parts together to coincide with the new Nvidia GPU release which would be an ideal time to do this.

I have a Hardware Labs GTS360, EK Momentum monoblock, EK Quantum Kinetic combo unit and a EK GPU waterblock for the 3080FE, the missing ingredient so far is the actual 3080FE lol.

Before the 3080FE was announced I thought that it would be more efficient than previous models so I thought the 360GTS would be fine but looking at the temps they are producing then I`m not so sure now.

While I am playing the Discord roulette trying to get the 3080FE it`s giving me time to plan my pipe routing with two options.

Option 1 is to stick with the 360GTS with 3 x fans at the top of the case.

e0lWgJ0.jpg

Option 2 is to add a 240 rad at the front of the case for extra cooling although this will bring warm air into the case unless I switch the case fans around so the rear is intake and the three front fans are exhaust.

rtk2C3f.jpg

I will probably be undervolting the 3080 as this seems to be common practice and people are getting good results and more stability as well as keeping temps down.

Associate
I would definitely go with more than just a slim 360 for a 3080 and cpu loop, so making use of that 240 you've got would seem sensible.

Have you thought about gpu -> top rad -> cpu -> front rad? It might cut down on your overall bends and tubing length.

Finally, my personal preference is positive pressure as I've never really had bad results with it. You could have both front and top rads as intake with the single rear 120 as exhaust.

Associate
OP
I would definitely go with more than just a slim 360 for a 3080 and cpu loop, so making use of that 240 you've got would seem sensible.

Have you thought about gpu -> top rad -> cpu -> front rad? It might cut down on your overall bends and tubing length.

Finally, my personal preference is positive pressure as I've never really had bad results with it. You could have both front and top rads as intake with the single rear 120 as exhaust.

Thanks for your reply, I never thought about the loop that way, good call.

I don`t yet have the 240 rad, the one in the picture is my current AIO but these are the things I can iron out while I`m waiting to land the 3080, I can probably use a GTX240 without compromising space too much.

I`ll have a look at swapping the 360 rad round to the fans are on top bringing air into the case instead of exhausting it out.

Thanks again.

Soldato
Fans pushing or pulling has been shown to have marginal difference. For the benefit of cleaning, it is better to have fans pulling as the rad works as a filter and it's "in" side is exposed for easy cleaning. With push fans, the "in" surface of the rad is under the fans so is much harder to clean.

Associate
OP
Fans pushing or pulling has been shown to have marginal difference. For the benefit of cleaning, it is better to have fans pulling as the rad works as a filter and it's "in" side is exposed for easy cleaning. With push fans, the "in" surface of the rad is under the fans so is much harder to clean.

Thanks for that, do you think it`s worth having push/pull on the front rad?

Associate
I've recently gone for push pull on my front radiator. The benefits that I am seeing are being able to run those fans slower to achieve the same result as with just a push set up, so the noise comes down. My idle temps at really low fan speeds are also a little better, not that it really matters. I think the push pull helps when you have filtration on the front of the case like with my Meshify front.

Basically, low fan speeds mean lower static pressure, the push pull really helps in that situation.

It is a bit more complicated than that though. More air in means you can balance your exhaust fans differently.

The downside is cleaning it later. Nothing a bit of compressed air won't sort out though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It does improve airflow particularly for low static pressure fans but whether it will really help is dependent on too many variables for me to answer. If your rads already provide enough cooling then more cooling will make little difference. Are you using hardline?

Yes, I will be using acrylic tubing, I`ve been doing a bit of practicing to get a feel for it.

Soldato
So if you're doing hardline you need to decide on push vs pull because it changes where the fitting will be. on the roof one I'd definitely go pull. on the front if you want the fans visible from the front then they have to be in push.

with hardline, access to the rads to clean them without having to remove fans or move the rad is a big win.

I forgot to ask - RGB fans or not?

Associate
OP
I've recently gone for push pull on my front radiator. The benefits that I am seeing are being able to run those fans slower to achieve the same result as with just a push set up, so the noise comes down. My idle temps at really low fan speeds are also a little better, not that it really matters. I think the push pull helps when you have filtration on the front of the case like with my Meshify front.

Basically, low fan speeds mean lower static pressure, the push pull really helps in that situation.

It is a bit more complicated than that though. More air in means you can balance your exhaust fans differently.

That is good to know

The downside is cleaning it later. Nothing a bit of compressed air won't sort out though.

I was thinking about getting one of those little PC vacs from amazon for this.

Associate
OP
So if you're doing hardline you need to decide on push vs pull because it changes where the fitting will be. on the roof one I'd definitely go pull. on the front if you want the fans visible from the front then they have to be in push.

with hardline, access to the rads to clean them without having to remove fans or move the rad is a big win.

I forgot to ask - RGB fans or not?

Not for the top rads, they won`t be visible anyway if they`re on top of the rad pulling air in so I will be using the Arctic fans there. On the front I have 3 140mm RGB fans but these are just standard Fractal Design case fans I might look for some RGB fans more suitable for radiator cooling.

Associate
Associate
I remember seeing those blowers when they launched and laughing hard. I normally have to have a vacuum running to collect all the crap that a compressed air can dislodges... I dread to think where all that dust would go just putting a blower on it indoors!

Associate
Using a blower (or a can of compressed "air" - it's not air though but some other gas) is definitely an outside job. I recommend a blower though, those cans are expensive and wasteful.

Associate
OP
I`m ordering a 240mm radiator and some extra tube and fittings and I`m also thinking about changing the case fans. The fans that Fractal design use have quite good high static pressure but also on the top end of the db rating at 34db so I have been looking at replacement fans that have decent high static pressure but have a lower db rating, it`s quite a minefield and there are so many that are on the higher end of the db ratings or just don`t have decent static pressure.

I did find these though but reviews are few, especially in English. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpe...ssable-rgb-pwm-fan-triple-pack-fg-02f-al.html

At a max 19db they are considerably quieter than the Fractal Design fans but aren`t far behind for static pressure.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Associate
If I were you and I wanted RGB Fans, I'd probably stick with Corsair ML Pros or maybe HDs.

What I've done is just got some "Arctic P12 PWM PST CO" fans. This guy reviews a different variant of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwftVMGPOiI, they're excellent when it comes to price / performance ratio. I don't have RGB on my fans.

You could always slap some Phanteks Halo's on whatever fan you choose though!

Back
Top Bottom