1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first loop noob question - fittings

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by david_xr, 24 Jul 2020.

1. david_xr

Gangster

hello,

finally got round to buying a custom loop setup to go into a new compact build - can't use my AIO's in the new case. I will post a thread in the build section when I start.

As for my question, is there a specific fastening torque for the fittings/extender etc?
    I have the EK plastic Allen key, which by itself would limit applied force as it would round im guessing.

if there was a specific torque, I will print a 9mm to 3/8 socket for a torque wrench. Or am I over thinking this?

2. Brizzles

Soldato

Overthinking tbh.

Finger tight has always been fine in any fittings i've used.

3. Toothy1911

Wise Guy

Never had a plastic allen key with any EK bits. They must have gone cheap recently.
    Blanking plugs with allen keys, just do as tight as you can using the short end of the allen key as a lever. Go too heavy handed with the long end as a lever youll just strip the thread of what the plug is going into. All you're trying to do is compress the little o-ring to seal. You're not trying to apply a torque to the thread like you would to a normal bolt. Your other compression fittings and what not will be the same, hand tighten until its closed. The o-rings will do the sealing, not how tight it is.

4. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Yeah my latest ek gpu block came with
    A double ended plastic Allen key type thing
    Guess it's cheaper to make than a metal one. To be fair though it does the job
    Just as well

5. Meridian

Man of Honour

At the risk of being unhelpful, I'll quote an unrelated manual: fittings should be tight enough. In many cases you'll see that the thing you are fitting too probably can't take a huge degree of force: acetyl will split for example. So finger-tight, then about an eighth of a turn. Test out of the rig. Does it leak? If so, tighten anything that leaks just a little - just enough to stop the leak. If nothing leaks then you are good to go. But tool use should be minimal.

6. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Had a look at my ek plastic tool earlier
    It actually looks more useful than the
    Standard metal Allen key
    As it also has a bit for plugs with slots
    In them instead of needing a coin or screwdriver for those
    The 2 Allen key ends also look designed
    To do 2 different sizes each end
    Ie total of 4 different sizes of Allen and 1
    Slot key all on one tool
    Though not yet had a product where that
    Double sized Allen end could be used on
    But pretty sure its been done on purpose
    For a reason on the ek tool
    As no reason to make the tool like that
    Otherwise

7. random_matt

Wise Guy

Got metal ones with my EK stuff. Only used a quarter turn after finger tight, probably best not to.

8. WantoN

Capodecina

O-rings do the work of sealing. Hand tight plus a quarter turn for me.

9. clone

Soldato

Just built my loop and finger tight is spot on as I had a few fittings I really tightened to much as I had to change then and had to fight to get them lose,as you leak test you can check them.