First PC, ideal first specs and price

Associate
I'm looking to get more into PC gaming, and have found a PC with the the following specs - apologies if any of it seems to make little sense, I am unsure if it is all necessary, but I don't want to miss any parts -out in case they turn out to be vital- for £950 (including a Samsung 1ms 24'' monitor, and a Gamemax keyboard and mouse):
Intel i5 Kaby Lake 3.0 GHz Quadcore Gigabyte VR-Ready Gaming Board 8GB Team Elite Red DDR4 2400 1TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk, 4GB Gigabyte RX580 VR-Ready Graphics, Windows 10, WiFi, DVD-RW

As this would be my first, I wanted to check if this would be considered a good starter spec for the system, as well as if it would be cheaper to build it myself.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Associate
It is neither a good deal nor a bad deal. It's the standard going rate for that kind of setup. It's a good setup. The only issue I see is a somewhat slow CPU. You would be better off paying that same amount of money for a Ryzen 1600 and a cheap B350 motherboard IMO. And overclock the CPU.

Having said that, you won't do badly with the above PC and performance would be decent. However the fact that you can pick up a 6 core CPU with hyperthreading with motherboard and aftermarket cooler for about the same price... I think you should custom build.

8GB Team Elite Red DDR4 2400 1TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk, 4GB Gigabyte RX580 VR-Ready Graphics, Windows 10,
^Stick with this. I'd suggest adding a 120GB SSD and upping the RAM to 16GB as well as going to 3000Mhz RAM
^Swap the CPU and board for a Ryzen 1600 and a cheap B350 board and pick up a Coolermaster Hyper 212 or Cryorig H7.
^Might want to consider a WD Blue 1TB instead of the Seagate as they tend to be more reliable for longer (YMMV)

Edit- after doing some more research on UK prices that is a good deal and you should probably buy it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom