• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First sign of trade conroe sales in uk..

ob1

ob1

Associate
Yea but its like cars a bit, engine size isnt everything and the public should understand that much. No doubt they'll be some flash advert with a celb flashing their teeth in a grin at the delight of conroe goodness.

Iam not spending 200+ on it even if it is better then sliced bread, the rest of the system will still run the same speed anyhow and Iam fine atm - maybe if I was encoding videos every day or something since I just realised my dual core is amazing at that compared to 'normal' cpus

Associate
Mazda RX7 - 1.3l Rotary engine versus Toyota Celica - 2l combustion engine.
RX7 would whip the Celica.
Or even a Lotus Elise versus a BMW 320. Elise'd kick it's ass.

Just thought I'd throw that in for the car example thing. :D

Associate
Ingram micro supply the company I work for too. I logged in and I can say that the current prices quoted to me are a good few percent lower in price than the ones stated here (in fairness to OCUK I won't list trade prices).

All prices are subject to change so we will see but it's certainly an encouraging sign. The E6600 certainly looks the bang per buck chip based on these figures.

Associate
I'm planning on getting the E6600, hopefully for around £200 but i can see it easily going for £250, inc VAT. A nice P965 mobo for under a £100 would be a perfect companion. I don't need (or want :p ) to pay for a £150 + mobo with extras I won't use. Couple that with a 1900xt, 2GB of 800 DDR2 and a 500w PSU and I should be set for few more years of gaming bliss hehe :D

Now, if I can just find a retailer that accepts kidneys as payment :(

Soldato
speeduk said:
Thing is if you get the 2.93ghz chip the FSB will be high already, limiting overclocking somewhat. Unless you can change multis on extreme chips like the FX's?
The 2.93Ghz X6800 has the same fsb as the E6600 and E6700 (266Mhz). The only difference between these 3 chips is the multiplier, at 9, 10, & 11.
Afaik, the X6800 will be multiplier unlocked, so it should be an o/cer's dream :D.

Soldato
The X6800 does look good, but at $999 it's certainly not good value. From what we've seen so far, it looks like these chips will overclock very well, so a 6600 should reach 6800 speeds on air, and leave enough cash for a good mobo + 2Gb DDR2.

Associate
People over at XS seem to think that Step 5 Conroe chips will be the retail ones, A guy overclocked a E6700 to 4Ghz on air, not truly stable, so maybe 3.8-3.9 Ghz might be stable. The E6600 should overclock a bit less than that due to the lower multi which will be locked.

Soldato
Sir Random said:
The 2.93Ghz X6800 has the same fsb as the E6600 and E6700 (266Mhz). The only difference between these 3 chips is the multiplier, at 9, 10, & 11.
Afaik, the X6800 will be multiplier unlocked, so it should be an o/cer's dream :D.

Ah right then it looks like a 6800 is the one for me.

Back
Top Bottom