• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First, they blew up my PSU:3080 FTW3 Ultra (XOC BIOS tested) Power from the wall numbers

Soldato
Prev card 2080S (oc'd) and rest of spec in sig drew 520W peak from the wall when folding, more than any game.

My 8-9 yr old AX860 blew up when I booted RDR2 with the 3080, loud BANG. Pretty scary and worried i'd damaged the PC obviously.

Got a STRIX 750W PSU from OCUK and installed today. Booted and luckily PC and GPU all fine:) YES!

So what I've seen so far with +100mhz on the core is 722W peak from the wall!

Thankfully there's the safety margin of multiplying by about 0.9 to obtain true power used inside the PC, owing to PSU efficiency not being 100%.

However it is RIGHT on taking 450W as quoted as I measured my CPU folding and it took 215W. I haven't even got her under water yet and flashed the XOC BIOS and pushed it.

THESE GPUS ARE NO JOKE PEOPLE.

They are the second coming of Fermi. Batton down the hatches, get a GOOD PSU.

NB this is most I could capture, app is annoyling not in realtime you have to get snapshots from the smart plug:
uc

uc

Man of Honour
Yeah I've seen approx. just under 200 watt higher spikes with my 3070 FE than with my GTX1070. No idea off the top of my head how it measures up to say a 2080ti, etc. in that respect. They are extremely short duration though and my equipment can't resolve it that fast (only 2Hz update rate on the display) so I'm not sure exact numbers.

Associate
I've a similar rig to yours OP (8600k @ 4.8Ghz, 3080 ftw ultra) and I'm running a Seasonic Titanium PX 750W. You have me a little worried now with those figures. Are you running three separate cables from your PSU to your GPU? I'm not, but I don't think it makes a difference as my PSU is single rail.

Caporegime
No, it isnt. That 750w is a maximum, not a target. I know my PSUs well enough, thanks.

If that is the case you will of course know that 722W at the wall is only 650W output from the PSU if we assume 90% efficiency then.

If it is rated at 750W on the +12v rail(s) then even a 750W PSU will have 100W of headroom in the OP's scenario.

A 750W PSU is perfectly adequate, and an 850W PSU provides a chunk of headroom for overclocking, as I said.

Last edited:
Soldato
100 watts of headroom isnt enough, asking a PSU to work at 85%+ capacity for extended periods wont do the PSU any favours. Not only that, but numbers measured at the wall dont reflect the real power draw of the cards because what you read at the wall is averaged across x amount of time. As measured by igors lab, a stock 3080 can break 500w at peak transients and you need a psu to deal with that as well as powering the rest of the system. I would want 30-40% headroom minimum and more if i was using a very power hungry GPU.

Like i said, *I* would want a kw because i know i'd be clocking the nuts off both the gpu and cpu. I would not be comfortable knowing a have a cpu drawing 220w and a gpu that can peak at 500w plus being powered by a 750w PSU. That is not at all an overkill assessment.

B6Z6wK4.png

And that's a stock FE, not an overclocked FTW3 Ultra :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I apologise for the rolleyes emoji, its unfortunate you saw my post before I edited it.

My XFX 80+ Silver 750W PSU has been running at high loading at least half the time for the last 7 years.

Most of the time the wall reading hovers at around 750W - 800W which is about 640W - 680W at the PSU, while folding or gaming.

The +12V is rated at 744W.

I think the highest draw I've seen at the wall was 900W when playing around with benchmarks with a pair of overclocked R9 390's and an overclocked i7. Thats about 765W output from the PSU. :eek:

Aren't most good PSU's designed to handle spikes that are a fair bit higher than the continuous output rating anyway?

Soldato
Aren't most good PSU's designed to handle spikes that are a fair bit higher than the continuous output rating?
Yes they should be. This is why igor's lab mentioned it's ok to ignore the smallest transient peaks if you have a good quality power supply and by that they mean rate the requirements of the GPUs by their 20-30ns peaks and not their 1ns peaks and that translates to around 360w on a stock FE card. The problem is, how well a PSU deals with transients is a completely unknown variable - nobody really tests it. Now, consider that the OP isnt running an FE, it's not stock and he plans to bios flash and clock it further. His assumption of 450w is probably right on the money now, so after a flash he could add another 50-75w to that very easily. 500-525w for the card plus a 220w CPU Draw when the system is loaded. 720-745w draw on a psu that's rated at 750w maximum and that not including any transient peak from either the GPU or the CPU. I would not have faith that my PSU could reliable handle transients of 200w or more above it's maximum rating when it's out of headroom already. I would be more confident that it could handle those transients and recover if the PSU wasnt fully loaded however.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I've a similar rig to yours OP (8600k @ 4.8Ghz, 3080 ftw ultra) and I'm running a Seasonic Titanium PX 750W. You have me a little worried now with those figures. Are you running three separate cables from your PSU to your GPU? I'm not, but I don't think it makes a difference as my PSU is single rail.

I have Seasonic Gold 750w and a wall monitor as I have mined for years. From my gaming tests it went to 500w, spikes could occur but less than 600w for sure. I am keen to see what people are doing in something like AB. I have a setting where I lowered the v/f curve and undervolted. This drops another 50w without loss in performance.

Are you processors overclocked and what juice are these and the RAM soaking up?

My Ryzen 3600 even at full tilt wouldnt go over 150w.

Soldato
OP

Can't run three separate cables. Didn't realise the X4 PCI-E connector figure provided by Asus is just two pigtail connectors. Anyway that's how they've designed the PSU.

I wanted to buy 850/860W again, but there were just massive shortages. I was literally losing sleeping thinking my 3080 FTW3 was fragged and got the system going again as fast as possible.

Good PSUs from articles i've read over the years can provide continous power, not just transient above their rating. Obviously this shouldn't be relied on though.

It's kind of too late now.

I think i'll be ok, If I see 800W at the wall as a peak I need to worry... haha

Edit I think I've just pinned down the new noise in my system to the PSU fan bearing. It's not coil whine from the GPU and it's not the fans in the GPU.

It happens when I stress the system for a bit, just as you'd expect a PSU fan to then come on. It's a tally really audible even with headphones on and annoying as rest of system is quiet.
So it may be going back, at least my GPU survived:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If that is the case you will of course know that 722W at the wall is only 650W output from the PSU if we assume 90% efficiency then.

If it is rated at 750W on the +12v rail(s) then even a 750W PSU will have 100W of headroom in the OP's scenario.

A 750W PSU is perfectly adequate, and an 850W PSU provides a chunk of headroom for overclocking, as I said.
This is actually a great point. A review of this PSU is that Asus rated the 750W to JUST the 12v rail (this is good).

So im actuality it has plenty of shove.

Some clips from kitguru about this PSU:

We managed to reach around 841W before the unit would shut down gracefully, after the protection kicked in. This is around 91 watts more than the rated output.

At full load the power supply maintains an 90.6% efficiency level, which is impressive.

Soldato

Yeah I apologise for the rolleyes emoji, its unfortunate you saw my post before I edited it.

My XFX 80+ Silver 750W PSU has been running at high loading at least half the time for the last 7 years.

Most of the time the wall reading hovers at around 750W - 800W which is about 640W - 680W at the PSU, while folding or gaming.

The +12V is rated at 744W.

I think the highest draw I've seen at the wall was 900W when playing around with benchmarks with a pair of overclocked R9 390's and an overclocked i7. Thats about 765W output from the PSU. :eek:

Aren't most good PSU's designed to handle spikes that are a fair bit higher than the continuous output rating anyway?

This is actually a great point. A review of this PSU is that Asus rated the 750W to JUST the 12v rail (this is good).

So im actuality it has plenty of shove.

Some clips from kitguru about this PSU:

We managed to reach around 841W before the unit would shut down gracefully, after the protection kicked in. This is around 91 watts more than the rated output.

At full load the power supply maintains an 90.6% efficiency level, which is impressive.

If you have a good quality PSU rated at 750W then I would say that it's fine , they have warranties for at least 10 years, they would be able to run close to 750W for long periods surely. If you did go over what it could handle because of overclocking etc then it would gracefully shut down if it's a quality PSU. So worse scenario ,it gracefully shuts down (with a quality PSU) , you take off the overclocking of the card etc. so I am echoing the above comments.

Last edited:
Soldato
100 watts of headroom isnt enough, asking a PSU to work at 85%+ capacity for extended periods wont do the PSU any favours. Not only that, but numbers measured at the wall dont reflect the real power draw of the cards because what you read at the wall is averaged across x amount of time. As measured by igors lab, a stock 3080 can break 500w at peak transients and you need a psu to deal with that as well as powering the rest of the system. I would want 30-40% headroom minimum and more if i was using a very power hungry GPU.

Like i said, *I* would want a kw because i know i'd be clocking the nuts off both the gpu and cpu. I would not be comfortable knowing a have a cpu drawing 220w and a gpu that can peak at 500w plus being powered by a 750w PSU. That is not at all an overkill assessment.

B6Z6wK4.png

Associate

B6Z6wK4.png

Igor's Test System Spec said:
MSI MEG X570 Godlike and a selected Ryzen 9 3900XT, which is water cooled and overclocked up to 4.5 GHz. In addition, there is the matching DDR4 3600 RAM from G.KILL in the form of the TridentZ Neo, as well as several fast NVMe SSDs.
So my little old 3600 should be much lower than above.

Associate
On one hand a water cooled overclocked 3900XT @ 4.5 + 'several fast NVMes' vs a stock 3600.. which one would use less watts.. carry the one.. let me see.. calculating..

Back
Top Bottom