First time building a PC myself. Looking for advice / opinions

Associate
As the title says this is my potential build and just wondering if there's any glaringly obvious problems that I haven't noticed?

be quiet! PURE base 500DX - Case
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - CPU
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - Motherboard
Corsair RM750 - PSU
Sabrent 1TB Rocket PCIe 4 M.2 - SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (16x2) 3200MHz - RAM
Scythe Fuma 2 - CPU cooler

Some components from my previous PC I'll be using (planning on upgrading the GPU once I can get my hands on a RTX 3000 card):

Crucial MX500 500GB SATA - SSD
TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB - HDD
Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Turbo - GPU

All the parts are compatible according to PCPartspicker as far as I can tell. Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Soldato
There were many memory speed comparisons published when the 3000 series cpus came out. 3600MHz came out as the best option, but 3200MHz isn’t going to be awful.

What’s the faster memory going to add? £50 maybe?

Associate
OP
There were many memory speed comparisons published when the 3000 series cpus came out. 3600MHz came out as the best option, but 3200MHz isn’t going to be awful.

What’s the faster memory going to add? £50 maybe?
Yeah around that but for the options available to me the CAS latency would be reduced for 3600MHz. So I think I'd prefer to spend less and get a little less frequency but better CAS latency on the RAM.

Permabanned
An electrostatic wrist strap.
Also, do you have a PC you can pull apart if things go wrong? It's very useful to have a spare video card and PSU if things don't go as planned. When a system fails to power up or the video is dead or something, you have no reference point to determine what's wrong.

Associate
OP
An electrostatic wrist strap.
Also, do you have a PC you can pull apart if things go wrong? It's very useful to have a spare video card and PSU if things don't go as planned. When a system fails to power up or the video is dead or something, you have no reference point to determine what's wrong.
Yep I have access to a number of laptops at home to look up any issues that come up during the course of the build. And thanks for pointing out the electrostatic wrist strap. Will make sure to grab one of them off of amazon.

Soldato
Yep I have access to a number of laptops at home to look up any issues that come up during the course of the build. And thanks for pointing out the electrostatic wrist strap. Will make sure to grab one of them off of amazon.

i have built a lot of systems now and i have never worn one. Even.. god forbid on a carpet. Just ground yourself on the PSU and all is good. I don't see the point in wasting money on **** like that.

Permabanned
i have built a lot of systems now and i have never worn one. Even.. god forbid on a carpet. Just ground yourself on the PSU and all is good. I don't see the point in wasting money on **** like that.

Static can not only destroy your prized purchase but it can damage it in such a way to reduce it's lifetime. Deliberately not using a wrist strap for the sake of saving £5 is about the same as not wearing a helmet when you ride a bike. If that's what you want fine, but seriously I don't think you should be advising others not to wear one.

Soldato
Static can not only destroy your prized purchase but it can damage it in such a way to reduce it's lifetime. Deliberately not using a wrist strap for the sake of saving £5 is about the same as not wearing a helmet when you ride a bike. If that's what you want fine, but seriously I don't think you should be advising others not to wear one.

Or as i said, he could just ground himself on his psu as many people do.

Using your bike analogy : buying a £5 "helmet" is pointless if you already have something at hand that does exactly the same thing.

Associate
I work on servers all of the time, like pp111 has said the static discharge does damage you can’t see and can degrade the components in your system. If you are going to spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on a new machine isn’t it better to spend £5 more and make sure your components stay safe.

Soldato
I work on servers all of the time, like pp111 has said the static discharge does damage you can’t see and can degrade the components in your system. If you are going to spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on a new machine isn’t it better to spend £5 more and make sure your components stay safe.

If you can't be bothered to actually read what I am saying don't bother responding :)

Permabanned
If you can't be bothered to actually read what I am saying don't bother responding :)

Touching a PSU is not the same at all. It just discharges any buildup. A wrist strap stops the charge building up in the first place, so it's much safer. Lots of people don't wear them because they don't own the equipment they are messing with so what do they care? But people who do own their gear should definitely wear one. But anyway, if you are happy taking the risk then that's fine. OP can make his own informed decision.

Back
Top Bottom