First time painting since I was about 10

Associate
I used to paint Warhammer when I was about 10 years, I'm waiting for lockdown to end so I can get back to my parents house and dig out the old paint jobs. I'll post them in here, I think they'll be awful hahaha.

Some people from work bought me a 40k starter set for my 40th, and this is literally the first bit of painting I've done in all that time. I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt.

I dry brushed the highlights because I'm lazy and my hands are not that steady, but it does the trick.

CG6wyBv.jpg

npk0cwU.jpg

...and this guy is one of the last ones I've painted in the starter set and I got into the flow a bit more:

JkEa01B.jpg

I think it's safe to say I've got a new hobby :D

Associate
nice work

did you do highlighting or some dry brushing ? its worth looking into shades and washes they can take it that little step futher a dark was would go into the crevices on the marine

only a ok painter and not the best picture but something like the wizard in the centre

so the marine would have more depth really like the below if your subbed to the rainforest its cheap as chips and works well on blues and greens

Vallejo VJ73203 Washes 17 ml Acrylic Paint - Umber Shade

Vallejo Washes 17 ml Acrylic Paint - Sepia

or the army painter tones , GW do some nice ones as well

141816091_10164546270275183_8850542546845952595_o.jpg

If your on twitter it has a massive amount of painters and tips

Associate
OP
Nice! Good advice. I used a bit of a wash that came in the kit, but it's not as effective as yours. The shading is mint. Gonna give it another go, I was pretty sparing with it.

The highlighting was just dry brushing.

Good advice and tips - I'll check out Twitter too. Cheers @Game

Associate
your welcome

got a book from the kids for my birthday and going to try some of the methods in it for faces and shortcut highlighting

its all practice eyes are my thing cant do them

Associate
OP
EYES!!! FML!!! I manage to get them passable on space marines, but it takes about 4 attempts going backward and forward between the base colour and the eye colour making smaller and smaller corrections until they're ok.

In terms of flesh, I've only done this guy and just his head took me about an hour. FYI, he doesn't have eyes. I just filled in the space with a dark wash haha.

A friend suggested using a Citadel flesh contrast paint, but I haven't tried it yet

v5PkIuh.jpg

Soldato
I tried the contrast method. They ended up looking like they have scabies. Think contrast is an art form in its self.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to paint Warhammer when I was about 10 years, I'm waiting for lockdown to end so I can get back to my parents house and dig out the old paint jobs. I'll post them in here, I think they'll be awful hahaha.

Some people from work bought me a 40k starter set for my 40th, and this is literally the first bit of painting I've done in all that time. I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt.

I dry brushed the highlights because I'm lazy and my hands are not that steady, but it does the trick.

CG6wyBv.jpg

npk0cwU.jpg

...and this guy is one of the last ones I've painted in the starter set and I got into the flow a bit more:

JkEa01B.jpg

I think it's safe to say I've got a new hobby :D
Nice, very clean. I am just starting to get back into painting again, though for me it is now for D&D, rather than warhammer like way back when.

Associate
OP
Nice, very clean. I am just starting to get back into painting again, though for me it is now for D&D, rather than warhammer like way back when.

I don't remember it all being quite this expensive, but then it would have been my parents doing most of the buying, subsidising my paper round money :D

I have a lot of friends into DND. Where are you getting the miniatures from, Warhammer or somewhere else?

Associate
I don't remember it all being quite this expensive, but then it would have been my parents doing most of the buying, subsidising my paper round money :D

I have a lot of friends into DND. Where are you getting the miniatures from, Warhammer or somewhere else?

It was definitely cheaper for me as I worked for Games Workshop for about a year. The staff discount was SUBSTANTIAL, and I sometimes got free minis for painting display models for the shop.
Now, I did pick up a few GW minis, mostly the fantasy unit boxes, great for skeletons etc, but mostly wizkids official d&d line and reaper bones.
20210505_133009.jpg

3f54c8cd-10df-44ce-9ac3-90249ff8ba8c

COfbrDahSvg

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar experience recently, you realize how dumb you were as a child when you can retrospectively pick up model painting so quickly as an adult.
I had almost as many resources back then as I do now, but the lessons about thinning paints just didn't sink in...

Back
Top Bottom